01.12.2005

Help Vinography Celebrate One Year of Wine Blogging

Dear Vinography Subscribers, Supporters, and Friends,

On January 15th, 2005 (this coming Saturday) Vinography.Com turns one year old. It's been quite a year. I never imagined that I would have so many loyal readers and supporters when I decided to start jotting down my thoughts and notes about wine in the middle of last winter.

In celebration of this past year, I'm throwing a little party, and I would love it if you felt like attending. I know you're spread out all over the country, but I'm inviting you anyway. I have had a chance to meet some of my readers and it's always a pleasure, and those of you I interact with regularly, well, you know how much I enjoy hanging out and drinking wine with you.

The folks at Bacar here in San Francisco have a nice downstairs "wine salon" where we can sit and drink. It's open to the public, but I'm betting we can basically take it over for the first part of the evening. So here's what's going to happen.

I'm going to show up at Bacar (address information below) at 6:00 PM on Saturday, January 15th, in a burgundy colored shirt and dark grey slacks and start drinking and ordering appetizers. Come find me and we'll share a glass of wine (or three) and have a good time. Since Vinography is a labor of love at this point, and I'm not independently wealthy, I'm good for the first round of appetizers (assuming between 10 and 20 of you show up), but not much more. We'll all buy our own wines by the glass (or by the taste) from Bacar's excellent and very long list and sit around having a good time. There will be as much or as little wine geek-ing as you like.

Please RSVP by commenting here if you know you're going to make it. I have e-mail RSVPs from some of you already, you know who you are. Feel free to bring your fellow wine lovers, and absolutely no gifts, please.

Vinography's First Birthday
6:00 PM, Saturday, January 15th until they throw us out.

Bacar Restaurant and Wine Salon
448 Brannan Street (between 3rd & 4th)
San Francisco, Ca 94107

Map:

enoch choi wrote:
01.12.05 at 11:55 PM

"good for the first round of appetizers" -- is this a chinese birthday party or what? what westerner hosts his buddies at his own bday party. that's generous ;)

Deena wrote:
01.13.05 at 2:46 AM

I won't be able to make it, but wanted to wish you happy tastings and grand merriment for your blog's birthday. Cheers!

Richard Peck wrote:
01.13.05 at 9:50 AM

Wish I could be there! Congratulations on a great first year.

Bertrand wrote:
01.13.05 at 11:47 AM

Such a good idea !! I'll be there by thought with you all ... I wish I could come and join . Enjoy .

Beau wrote:
01.13.05 at 12:11 PM

Alder...Happy Happy Blogbirthday. I was in your fair city last night and had a blast. Wish I could be there... perhaps for anny #2?
Cheers,

Beau
basicJuice blog

Geoff Smith wrote:
01.13.05 at 1:04 PM

Hi! Congratulations! Is it possible to bring wine to this event? Cheers, Geoff

James Mitchell wrote:
01.13.05 at 8:05 PM

Congrats from Newport Beach, wish I could be there, your insight into wine has been enormously helpful to this novice 26 year old convert.

Nathan wrote:
01.13.05 at 10:12 PM

And could it be that the site, already drinking so well now, will only improve with age? From Chicago, happy birthday.

01.13.05 at 10:16 PM

Geoff,

Yes it is possible to bring wine. Bacar has a $25 corkage fee, which is waived with purchase of a bottle off their list.

01.13.05 at 10:17 PM

James, Nathan, Bertrand, Richard, Enoch, Beau, Deena,

Thanks so much for the good wishes! I'll have a glass for all of you.

Sam wrote:
01.14.05 at 2:32 PM

Easy there Alder.
That's 7 glasses just for starters!

There is the tiniest chance I'll make it for one of those 7, but if not, have a blast!