01.21.2005

SPECIAL: Vinography and Manresa Present The Story Wine Dinner

Vinography, in conjunction with Manresa Restaurant, is proud to announce The Story Wine Dinner, on Thursday, February 24, 2005.

OFFICIAL NOTICE:
Since the beginning of time we have told stories about everything and anything that is important to us. They help us remember and they help us capture the magic and pleasures of this life we lead. Wine and food are two pleasures made all the more rich through narrative: the stories we have about our experiences with them and about the people and ingredients that have made them possible.

Please join Vinography and Manresa for a wine dinner celebrating some of the tales behind the innovative cuisine of Chef David Kinch and behind specially selected wines courtesy of Vinography. Each dish and wine pairing will have its own story, and you will be encouraged to share your own favorite stories of adventure in food and wine.

The Story Wine Dinner is $150 per person. Limited seating at 6:30 p.m. For reservations call 408-354-4330 or visit the Manresa Web site.

UNOFFICIAL COMMENTARY:
I'm thrilled to be able to offer this event in conjunction with one of the best restaurants in the Bay Area. I have reviewed Manresa here on Vinography before, and since that time I have returned to experience even more wonders coming out of the kitchen of Chef David Kinch.

David and I have been plotting this dinner for a few months. I have selected 5 wines, a few of which I think will pair beautifully with some of David's best dishes, and some of which I am challenging him to match with perhaps new creations.

I will tell a story about each wine that we are serving, and a representative from the kitchen (perhaps even Chef Kinch if he is not too busy) will share something of the background or inspiration for each dish or one of its special ingredients. Throughout dinner you will be encouraged to share your own favorite stories of wine and food experiences: the best meal of your life, the most memorable meal, the worst wine you ever tasted, etc.

This promises to be a lively evening with great wine, amazing food, and wonderful stories of both from around the world. If you haven't had a chance to experience the cooking at Manresa, this is a great opportunity to do so. If you've been before, then I hope you'll return to see how this innovative cuisine can be matched with some excellent and unusual wines.

I expect this event to book up fairly quickly (there will most likely only be between 20 and 24 seats available), so if you are interested, make a reservation today.

Fatemeh wrote:
01.21.05 at 1:56 PM

Oh Alder, what a BRILLIANT idea... I've been wanting to make my way to Manresa for months now - we just don't ever seem to make it.

My reservation for two is in!

Molly wrote:
01.21.05 at 2:13 PM

What a great way to do two things I've wanted to do: visit Manresa and experience your talent! Looking forward to it.

01.21.05 at 5:31 PM

Molly,

I'm honored. I'm not sure which talent of mine exactly you'll be experiencing next month, but I'm happy to help showcase the talent of some excellent winemakers and play host to what will be a very tasty dinner.

Looking forward to meeting you.

sam wrote:
01.23.05 at 9:01 PM

Hey Alder,
We'd love to join in. But do you think it will be a problem for Fred who doesn't eat fish?
I'll call the restaurant tomorrow to find out
Nice to bump into you earlier ! Sam

Stellah wrote:
01.26.05 at 3:06 PM

We'll be attending the dinner too :). I was charmed to find that chef David was the one calling me back to confirm my reservation. Looking forward to the feasting, and the stories.

J. wrote:
02.24.05 at 4:11 PM

We made reservations several weeks ago but had to cancel it today. Ugh!! :( Please let us know how it went. We were so looking forward to it.

- J & A

Greg wrote:
02.27.05 at 1:45 PM

Alder,
Before too much time passes, I want to tell you how much I enjoyed the Vinography dinner at Manresa. The dinner prepared by David Kinch was amazing and each wine was a glorious triumph. Thank you for all of the care and consideration you took in presenting some beautiful and special wines. And thank you for being the ultimate host by welcoming the guests and educating and informing all of us. I know that I speak for many of the guests by expressing my appreciation.