03.03.2005

Gambero Rosso Tastings in NY and SF, March 14th & 16th

Hot diggety! The last word in Italian wine, Gambero Rosso (think of them as the Michelin guide to the wines of 'da Boot) has just released their 2005 Guide and they're celebrating by holding Tre Bicchieri tastings in San Francisco and New York. Tre Bicchieri, or "three glasses" is their highest rating for a wine, and hopefully this tasting will include many wines with that distinction (this year there are an unprecedented 264 wines to win that coveted award in all of Italy, the largest number ever, I believe). So if you have any interest in Italian wine whatsoever, this is an event not to miss.

Degustazione Tre Bicchieri a San Francisco

The Puck Building
295 Lafayette Street
New York City

Press Preview: 3:00 PM
Trade Tasting: 4:00 PM
Public Tasting: 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Cost: I believe it is $45, but I'm not sure.

For more information (in Italian) see the Gambero Rosso web site. For more information in English, call the New York office: (212) 253-5653 or [email protected].

Jack wrote:
03.03.05 at 10:26 AM

I'm not sure, but I believe the public part of the tasting is only open to Slow Food members and Gambero Rosso subscribers. But everyone who reads Vinography is a Slow Food member, right? (Do not insert evil cackle here - I'm an enthusiastic Slow Food member.)

03.03.05 at 11:09 AM

Actually, Jack, you're half right. I've just learned that the tasting is by invitation only, but I think you can get an invitation by just calling the number above and they'll drop one in the mail to you...

If anyone has more information about this, it would be welcome.

Lenn wrote:
03.03.05 at 11:14 AM

Should I assume that the start of Vinography will be heading to the SF event?

I'm going to contact them right now about the NY one...maybe I can get out of work and make it.

If we both go, perhaps dual posts are in order?

Kieca wrote:
03.03.05 at 12:58 PM

I heard that last year's tasting in SF was very disorganized (several wineries ran out of wine very early on, before the press tasting was over, even). Any thoughts or ideas that this year will be more organized?

03.03.05 at 1:12 PM

If you can get to the press tasting (if there is one this year), they probably won't run out of wine. I had a good time last year and there were definitely some really intriguing wines (mostly from Sicily, I think).

Bummer that this year's falls on the same day as a code freeze at work. Not much chance of me making this one.

Geoff Smith wrote:
03.03.05 at 1:25 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I'm gonna do my best to get to the City and try these great wines.

Jack wrote:
03.06.05 at 7:30 AM

I was at last year's tasting in SF and arrived at the very start of the public tasting. Yes, they were out of some wines by then. (Though, this seems to be typical of every Trade/Public tasting I've been to; the best and/or super-expensive bottles don't often last/make it to the public part of a tasting.)

Otto wrote:
01.30.06 at 10:58 AM

Actually, 3B is not a Slow Food event. The Slow Food event is the Golden Glass, which I have just learned is during the second week of June. I was much more impressed by the Golden Glass last year, both due to the quality of presentation, the foods and the cause. I suspect that there is a connection between Gambero Rossi and Slow Food, but the Tre Bicchieri is for the general public.

Apparently some wine importer wondered why there wasn't a real Italian wine event in San Francisco and set one up. GR saw that it worked and moved in in front of him.

They are both worth seeing, but you get the "rising stars" at the later one, and they had one very impressive seminar last year.