02.17.2006

Oh Thank Heavens. The Media Got It Wrong.

Remember a few weeks ago when the sky was falling? Well it turns out that it was just a piece of roofing tile all along. Thanks to Michael Steinberger, all those panicking art gallery owners can safely return to serving cheese cubes with their wine at parties again. It turns out that the now infamous study at U.C. Davis that determined that wine and cheese were incompatible actually found nothing of the sort. It was just a big misunderstanding between scientists and the media, which we all know happens all the time. What the scientists actually said was that mixing wine with cheese diminishes the intensities of some flavors in wine. That's all. What the media heard on the other end of the telephone was "Wine and cheese don't go well together."

I don't know about you, but I'm seriously relieved, and I'm sure the rest of the world that depends on scientists to tell them what tastes good and what doesn't are as well.

Ladies and gentlemen, please return to your cheeses, there is no danger to your wine whatsoever. The situation is under control.

Read the full story.

tduchesne wrote:
02.18.06 at 5:06 AM

THANK YOU ALDER!
I can now sleep at night. Seriously though its just one more example of why its hard to trust the "real" media until the full story comes out.

Nick wrote:
02.18.06 at 6:16 AM

Big reds and big cheeses. I'm currently lugging hard on some barberesco accompanied with some gorgonzola and it is delicious. Other great cheese reds are the French Banyuls Italian Amerone.

Who these scientific folk who put our beautiful juice in test-tubes and then spread propaganda about what we should and should not be chewing with our fermented grapes?

Long live the art gallery fraternity and thank the Lord that they are not falling on their swords!!

02.18.06 at 6:55 AM

NEVER trust the media...ever!

javier wrote:
02.18.06 at 7:59 AM

here, in Spain people don´t have doubts about wine-cheese compatibility, cheese and wine combination it´s a pillar of spanish civilization.

Hello from Spain; I speak a very bad english, sorry.

Marcus wrote:
02.18.06 at 8:19 AM

I knew it! I knew it! It's nice to feel some vindication. At the time I responded to the wine and cheese debate with New Science is an ass. It managed to start a good discussion. I felt a bit like a loser because I was ignorant of the real researchers beheind the New Scientist story. But I stuck with my gut was right all along -- what they were serving up was dodgy, spun material. Publishing that kind of report on the scientific study is slipshod, irresponsible work on the journal's part. They lose an infinite amount of credibility when sully the facts by interpreting them just to raise eyebrows.

Dustin Platt wrote:
02.18.06 at 9:30 AM

That just goes to prove what you have said all along, Alder: The number one thing to trust... and the only thing that SHOULD really matter... is your Taste-buds. It's one of the prime reason I love your site (in addition to the fabulous restaurant reveiws, and your great sense of humor).
Dustin-

blackhawk wrote:
02.18.06 at 9:57 PM

Greetings from Scienceville! What I read (via the Media) was exactly what the study purported, "cheeses often diminish the desirable wine tastes, particularly those used to measure quality". Being in the sciences, I can say that we often use very precise language to describe findings from our studies... they used the terms "wine character suppression" to mean precisely that... it never once said that wine and cheese were incompatible as alluded to above. Moreover, to suggest that the study is infamous uses words that are neither accurate nor deserved. Mike you got smacked down in your comments to begin with, and the rest of you reading New Scientist would be better served reading something else.

James wrote:
02.21.06 at 2:58 PM

I wish I had read your correction before I tossed all of the cheese.

02.21.06 at 3:03 PM

I know, Jim, so do I. I must have gotten rid of at least 6 pounds of the stuff after reading the initial article. Fed it to my neighbor's dog with tears in my eyes...