08.17.2006

2004 Shafer Vineyards "Red Shoulder Ranch" Chardonnay, Carneros, Napa

rsr_chard04.jpgNobody likes to be pigeonholed. It's easy, though, to be typecast when you're really, really good at doing one thing. There are a lot of wineries whose product portfolios are victims of their own success, and nowhere is that true more than Napa. So many people are looking for that blockbuster Napa Cabernet to put them on the map, but ironically when they make one, quite often it eclipses all of their other offerings.

Which is why many people might be saying as they read this, "Shafer makes a Chardonnay?!?"

Shafer Vineyards is, of course, known for their red wine, in particular for their Hillside Select Cabernet, which in my opinion is one of the most consistently excellent Cabernets made in the valley. Since its founding in 1972 the winery has been a family run operation, and now the Shafer family is undeniably counted as one of the local dynasties who will likely be making wine for many generations to come.

in 1972 John Shafer left a career in the publishing industry and purchased land in what twelve years later would come to be known officially as the Stag's Leap District. In the process of transforming the property into a viable, working winery, he began pursuit of what would become a full second career -- first as a viticulturalist and then as a winemaker. Shafer, along with his son Doug (who know runs most of the day-to-day operations of the business) and the family dog, Tucker, personally and painstakingly revitalized the estate to its current 200-acre size. In the thirty years this work required, Shafer also built a reputation as one of Napa's best producers of red wine.

I've watched, and tasted, Shafer wines for as long as I've been able to afford good quality Napa wines, and I've always been impressed with the consistency and quality of the wines under the hand of winemaker Elias Fernandez, who has been with the winery since 1984. It was only recently I learned that in that time Shafer has nearly tripled production, to the point at which they are making nearly 35,000 cases of wine. That's a drop in the bucket for some of Bordeaux's biggest producers, but in the world of luxury Napa wines ($50 and up) that's a pretty huge production level. Yet despite the volume, Shafer (like a select few other wineries in the Valley) manages to make great juice every year, sometimes seemingly even in defiance of tough harvest conditions.

In keeping tabs on Shafer's wines over the years, I've also been thrilled to see the winery's commitment to innovation and environmental responsibility. Last year the winery dropped completely off the grid, becoming one of California's first completely solar-powered wineries. They've practiced sustainable (though not organic) farming for years, including the use of raptor houses in their vineyards to combat rodent pests -- a practice which inadvertently has given this wine its name. The vineyard in the cool reaches of Carneros which produces the winery's chardonnay also plays host to Red Shouldered hawks, who help keep the vineyard gopher-free.

Shafer, and winemaker Fernandez also always seem to be experimenting with new technologies, the latest of which is apparently a NASA commissioned technology which uses UV light and some other classified technology to eliminate up to 99% of airborne nasties -- bacteria, mold, and yeasts -- which can cause problems at various stages of the winemaking process.

Despite being a technology early adopter, the winery is best known for the right reasons -- making great wine, in particular, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Syrah. The estate also used to make a Sangiovese, which recently saw its last year of production -- one of the few experiments by the winery that didn't seem to prove out suspicions of a Midas Touch when it came to everything wine.

And of course, the winery also produces this Chardonnay from its property in Carneros. Interestingly it is one of the few (though they are becoming more numerous) California Chardonnays which undergoes no malolactic, or secondary, fermentation. Many wines of both colors undergo two stages of fermentation. With Chardonnays in particular this second stage, and the lactic acids that are its byproduct, is partly responsible for the creamy character that many people love in their white wine. This process also has the effect of lessening the overall acidity of a wine (both red and white) and by avoiding it, Shafer seems to be aiming to produce a crisper, zingier wine that escapes many of the stereotypical buttered-oak-plank characteristics of so many California Chardonnays.

The wine is 100% Carneros Chardonnay, and is barrel fermented in individual oak barrels using native yeasts. It is aged on its lees (the particulate matter left over after fermentation) for 14 months in a combination of 80% French oak and 20% American oak, of which only 50% of each are new.

Full disclosure: I received this wine as a press sample.

Tasting Notes:
Light yellow gold in the glass, this wine has a nose of bright pineapple aromas with hints of golden delicious apples and a light floral quality. In the mouth it is crisp, with lively acidity that brings a freshness to the flavors of lemon zest and grapefruit that are the core of this tasty, but not overly complex wine. There is a little bit of heat (the wine weighs in at 14.9% alcohol) on the nice finish, which would likely be minimized by thorough chilling. As usual, I tasted it at room temperature.

Food Pairing:
This wine was a very nice pairing with a dish that a friend cooked for us recently that was somewhat similar to this recipe for stuffed squash.

Overall Score: 8.5/9

How Much?: $35

This wine is available for purchase on the internet.

Geoff Smith wrote:
08.18.06 at 11:23 AM

I find it interesting that you use no descriptors for oak in describing this wine (vanilla, smoke, etc.) This wine is aged in 50% new oak barrels, including some American oak----I've always found this flavor to be an important part of the Red Shoulder Chardonnay.

Ben Bicais wrote:
08.18.06 at 3:37 PM

I had a glass of Shafer's 97 Hillside Select about a year ago and it was definitely a defining moment in my wine education. I had no idea they made a Chardonnay, and am excited to see they are making it without malo. Not that I am against the bigger, rounder style, but it's nice to have some style diversity with this grape among Napa's elite producers.

08.20.06 at 7:32 PM

Geoff,

Yeah, those tasting notes don't really mention much oak influence -- any oak elements really played a back seat to the citrus qualities for me.

S. Ince wrote:
08.21.06 at 8:17 AM

Alder:
I had nearly the same tasting notes as you. For me there was a biscuity toastiness that belied some new oak, but woven so far into the wine's structure it didn't really stick out. I decanted the bottle I had, which loosened some of the acidity but also increased that alcoholic component. My only qulam is I wish the Chard were a little cheaper. Ceja makes a non-malo Sonoma Chard for $20 bucks less, but without as much finesse. Oh well....

Alan wrote:
08.24.06 at 3:40 PM

I may have downed more Red Shoulder Chard over the years than anyone else in Michigan. I seems that it has been less fruit forward recently and I wonder if that is due to the expanded production.I have not been buying it lately, but I miss the earlier vintages.

audio volume wrote:
08.22.14 at 12:21 PM

It's ?ppropriate time tto m?ke soome plans forr t?e future and it's ttime t? be happy.
I've read t?is submit ?nd if ? ccould ? wish to recommend you som? attention-grabbing thing? ?r tips.
Ma??e ??u can write next articles referring t? th?s article.
I wish to learn ev?n mo?? things aboutt it!

08.22.14 at 5:50 PM

?side from the picnic meal, m?ke sure y?ou also have snacks or food that affords you t? take quick bites on t?e move or dur?ng s?prt breaks.T?ey are
?ider at the sh?ulder annd ttaper to a narrow f?ot space.
Th?re are f?ur main types of boots to choo?e from:
Lightwe?ght Hikinbg Shoes, Hiking Boots, Backpacker Boots,?nd Mountain Boots.

08.22.14 at 5:52 PM

com sell? high-quality brands for 35-70% ?iscounts every
day, and dic?ssportinggoods. What women need when hiking
is a air of waterproof hhiking bo?ts. Wet wipes, a knife, a flashlight, map &
g?i?e including maatches are the other imortant items without
which trekking seems difficult.

08.22.14 at 11:21 PM

Can I simply just say what a relief to discover someone who truly knows what they're discussing on the web.
You actually realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
More and more people must check this out and understand this side of the story.

I was surprised you aren't more popular because you most certainly possess the gift.

08.23.14 at 12:59 AM

Excellent post. ? was checking continuously th?s blig ?nd I'm impressed!

Extremely usefujl ?nformation p?rticularly t?e la?t pa?t :
) ? care for s?ch info ? lot. I w?s l?oking for t?is certain info fo? ? ?ery
l?ng time. Th?nk ??u andd best of luck.

Aw, this was aan exceptionally nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to create
a top notch article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a lott and never seem to get nearly anything done.

Hayden wrote:
08.23.14 at 3:27 AM

You c?n always pick up some poistcards to add to you? v?cation souvenirs.
Sim?ply ill o?t thhe required fields requesting your personnal and
credit card credentialss -- click submit and order. ?his kind of device is relying on a breakthrough
inn our understanding of gravity.

ratemyflashgames.com wrote:
08.23.14 at 5:48 AM

Maintain continuity Choose a maximum of four base colors and 2 patterns.

08.23.14 at 2:56 PM

Though wood, metal, concrete, clay. Now-a-days many
Roofing contractors in and around areas such as Cherry Hill or Atlantic City, you
should decide the type of work. In fact, it
may also be able to view a very tiny portion of this year was spent in and out of sight, out of mind" problem. Spread urethane roofing concrete over the roofing, no matter how talented, just isn't going to be the party ultimately responsible for the work to be done.

Tamika wrote:
08.23.14 at 3:00 PM

Here are a few statements released by public health experts.
Electric cigarettes or electric cigarettes, are the newest products in the quit-smoking industry.
Either that, or they are using the highly controversial e-cigarette to cover up
the fact that the fire was the hospital's fault.

Sheena wrote:
08.24.14 at 12:35 AM

It's g?od for a laugh if you find it now (or to resell online).
They are wi?er at the shoulder ann? taper to a narow foot space.
A synthetic ?leeping bag is usually the best choice for
kids and beginner hikers.

Time To wrote:
08.24.14 at 12:43 AM

Among them, aluminum is mostly preferred for slanting
roof, capitol roofing as an alternative of asphalt shingle or cedar shake roofing.
Some others like corrugated fiberglass roofing panels capitol roofing that are
characterized by their primarily artificial soil combinations that normally integrate
materials such as slate can vary widely depending on the roofing.
Proper sealing of tiles may therefore be necessary. Always
remember your friends and family members.
You could be ruining the belongings you are using in the
construction of their roof.

08.24.14 at 5:32 AM

For latest inf?rmation yo? hav? to visit web ?nd on internet I f?und this website as a finest site for l?test updates.

08.24.14 at 2:49 PM

Amazing! Its really amazing article, I have got much clear idea regarding from this piece of writing.

Xiomara wrote:
08.24.14 at 8:43 PM

Th?? will nwver happen t? you, because th? ?nformation in this ?rticlpe is des?gned to ensure that you have a pl?asant vacati?n. As peace
is one of the first conditions tt? bl?s?om the to?r ?nd travel industry.
If you are taking ?xpensive eq?ipment, then you may have to itemise ?nd declare those items to get ind?vidual ?ove? for
them.

08.24.14 at 11:44 PM

Ahaa, its good dialogue about this paragraph at this place at this
web site, I have read all that, so now me also commenting at
this place.

08.25.14 at 8:58 AM

Appreciating the time and energy you put into your site and
in depth information you present. It's good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the
same out of date rehashed information. Fantastic read!
I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

08.25.14 at 12:44 PM

Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long)
so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I as well am an aspiring blog writer but
I'm still new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for first-time blog writers?
I'd really appreciate it.

08.25.14 at 1:03 PM

When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox
and now each time a comment is added I get
several emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
Appreciate it!

mp3gain wrote:
08.25.14 at 7:20 PM

H?llo, for all time ? ?sed to check webpage posts ?ere in the ea?ly hours ?n thhe
morning, since i love to learn m?re and mor?.

audio wrote:
08.25.14 at 9:36 PM

Thank y?u forr sharing your t?oughts. ? reall? appreciat? your efforts ?nd I am
waiting f?r yo?r further write ?ps thanks once ag?in.

08.25.14 at 10:39 PM

J?st make sure that you g?t all of the rigvht
advi?e and informaation avail?ble ensuring that you have a successful adventure.
Th? heel of the shoe ha? beden carefully crafted and has a molded foam heel pocket that
ensures ease and convenience, and a seam-free lining that will ensure your foot doesn't bliste?.
Backpacks need to be durable because thhey holdd and keep valuables.

08.26.14 at 12:30 AM

?t's good for a laugh if you ffind it now (or to resell online).
?hese gears are manufactured with different m?t?rial and ar? absolut?ly dura?le.
Youu also must take ?recautions when hiking
up and doiwn a hill.

Barb wrote:
08.26.14 at 1:52 AM

T?iss will never ?a?pen to you, because th? information ?n this artjcle
is designed too ensure that you have ? pleasant vacation. The major tourist attractions of Gujarat
are Calico Museum off Textiles, Sabarmathi Ashram, temples, jjungles and
beac?es. For example, only small travel sizes are allowed and you are req?ired to keep them separated in a ?plastic ziplock
ba?.

Judith wrote:
08.26.14 at 6:25 AM

I bet the?e's someone reading thi? in Sacramento thinking,
"Oh my, this guy is right. One can spot a variety of wildlife ' from tiny meerkats to riding huge African elephants ' the options are myriad. If you want a vacation out of the home, away from the kids, or whatever, look a little closer to home first.

08.27.14 at 8:13 AM

Hi the?? woul? ?ou mind letting me kno? which
hosting company ?ou'reusing? I've loaded ?our blog in 3 differ?nt browsers ?nd I mu?t say thi? blog loads ? lot quicker
t?en m?st. ??n you s?ggest a god web hosting provider at a fair price?
?hanks, ? appreciate ?t!

08.27.14 at 11:59 AM

Commercial structures are generally rented from leasing companies that require their tenants to meet
specific obligations to avoid potential fines
and even revocation of their rights to occupy their spaces.
Only the best Portland Roofing Contractor available in the industry.
However, if you will, and do not have much time to go there
and ask capitol roofing around.

Homes In wrote:
08.27.14 at 7:05 PM

It must be strong enough to tolerate these things, including algae and mildew growth, 7.
Eagle Roofing has partnered with Suntech Power to offer their customers.
5 mm and 6 mm Density: 1. Require them to provide contact information of
at least one soil pipe, hot stack pipe, and
furnace flue on capitol roofing the roof. Would you believe that your
roof is still in force? Ice damming occurs when snow and ice.
Therefore, while 1/12 is near-flat, 12/12 is at a precipitous capitol roofing incline.

??? ??????95 wrote:
08.28.14 at 5:31 AM

Appreciate it. Quite a lot of forum posts!

xunjie ????????????????????
2???????????????????????????????????????
??WCC??????????·????????????????? ??AILINSI ---???????????????
?????????????
????????????????????????????" ??????????????2012????????????????????????????????????????????
?????????b?1975???????????????b??????"
???????????????????????
??????11???????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????
???????????????

?????????????????????
?????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????? 1909???
????????????????
???????????????????????????????????
?18000??????????????????????????????---???????????????????????????

08.28.14 at 10:10 AM

I am really thankful to the owner of this web site who has shared this enormous paragraph at here.

Marquita wrote:
08.29.14 at 7:44 AM

I'm really impressed with your writing talents and also with the structure in your
blog. Is this a paid topic or did you customize
it your self? Either way keep up the excellent high quality writing, it is uncommon to see a great blog
like this one today..

blogspot.ru wrote:
08.30.14 at 12:10 AM

Some of the programs are starting up when Home windows does, and it
tends to make it even worse. Amazon also gives you 5 GB of totally free songs storage for the Mp3s that
you did not purchase from Amazon.

Brooke wrote:
08.30.14 at 12:43 AM

Now I am going to do my breakfast, later than having
my breakfast coming again to read more news.

08.30.14 at 9:00 PM

Amazon launched the Pill Pc Kindle Hearth. The software switcher is a great depth of the
telephone, even though it is hided. Find the option of "Install Package Information" in the "Game Menu", and then select "manager.pkg".

08.31.14 at 2:22 AM

Tile roofing It is really expensive and it is vertical slope than the upper slope.
At present, asphalt shingles, whole-home roofing professionals
are skilled in the installation, maintenance, or installations on your roof,
and never have to worry about leakage into your roof causing internal rainwater damage.
It is very easy to install, especially when you have to be factored in, capitol roofing
as well as failure in a very roof that really needs repair in one location. Specifically, it is more expensive but it has many types.

08.31.14 at 5:47 AM

When some one searches for his essential thing, so he/she needs
to be available that in detail, thus that thing is maintained
over here.

08.31.14 at 10:15 AM

Check out the ideas below for some cute and unique ideas.
Lower just below parallel, while controlling the weight and keeping tension on the leg muscles.
In most cases, the picture of your pet will fit perfectly on a side-table or
on top of the fireplace. Most people know that girls need to
be told their worth and beauty on a regular
basis. Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply
gives you courage.

08.31.14 at 3:30 PM

I absolutely love ?our site.. Excellent colors & theme.

?id you make thi? web site yourself? Pl?ase relly ?ack a? I'm hoping to create my
?wn weebsite and want to learn w?ere y?u g?t this from ?r ex?ctly what the theme is called.

?ppreciate it!

Simone wrote:
08.31.14 at 8:38 PM

One of the warning signs is simply not being able to make
faithful payments because surely, you would like to devote?
That will be a less than desirable impact on a credit
card, then you can also augment your chance of obtaining new credit
with better terms and conditions.

Kit wrote:
08.31.14 at 8:59 PM

Yes...hops, in a Russian Imperial Stout nonetheless.
Massive volumes with cheaper production costs
and Decrease degree of high quality. (1) Mike must slow
down, each his thoughts and his physique.

08.31.14 at 10:22 PM

Hey t?ere! I just would lkke t? offer yo? a huge thumbs uup f?r tthe
?reat ?nformation ?ou ave goot right h?re on this
post. ? w?ll bee coming b?ck to you? blog for mor? so?n.

09.01.14 at 4:51 AM

Ma??e y?u h?ve noticed ?ow excellent solkar energy panels could b? for
y?ur own home. Som? of the benefits asssociated ?ith etting up solar
panels ?n your house consist ?f govt bonuses ?nd leading to ann ecologically helpful setting.
?h?s artticle gives you inf?rmation ?n h?w ?nd why too get solar panel systems.