04.17.2010

Palmina Winery, Santa Barbara County: Current Releases

palmina_logo.jpgYou know how some entrepreneurs seem to start businesses in their sleep? They create a company, make it profitable or sell it to someone, and then it seems like a week into their "vacation" they're starting another one, and another. The most successful of these seem to have the Midas touch, with each business more successful than the last, as if they can't help but make tons of money.

There's an analogue to this type of personality in the wine world, and it is readily demonstrated by one Steve Clifton. Clifton is best known for his partnership in Brewer-Clifton wines with friend Greg Brewer, but in the last ten years he has started no less than three different successful wine labels, as if he just wanders around and they seemingly fall out of his pockets.

It would seem like incredible luck if Steve Clifton wasn't so clearly a guy who knows what he's doing.

After falling in love with wine in college as a waiter in Italian restaurants, his love continued to grow through the 1980's as a young musician and aspiring nightclub owner. In the early 1990's Clifton started making wine in his basement and took a series of jobs in wine sales and marketing where he met Greg Brewer, who was following much the same path. Together they decided to start a winery focused exclusively on combining their love of Burgundian varietals and the appellation in their back yards: the Santa Rita Hills.

Getting fruit from what they called "extreme vineyards" in the appellation, Brewer-Clifton rapidly shot to recognition as on of the best producers of small-lot Pinot Noir and Chardonnay in the region.

You would think that Clifton would have his hands full managing one of the hottest new labels in Santa Barbara County, but a few years later he started playing with Rhone varietals, and then suddenly the world was chasing after another new label: Alder Wines (no, they did not ask me before they started it).

Sandwiched in between these two projects, Clifton apparently couldn't restrain his affections for Italian wines or for an Italian educated woman named Chrystal, so he married her and started Palmina Wines, though not necessarily in that order.

Palmina is a small family run operation -- Steve makes the wine and Chrystal manages the books -- focused exclusively on Italian varietals grown in Santa Barbara County. Chrystal's fluent Italian has helped the couple build relationships with a number of Italian producers who have helped the couple keep their wines true to the old world styles and techniques appropriate for each varietal, whether that be fermentation in steel or old oak vats, avoiding malolactic fermentation for whites, and aging (often) with a minimum or complete lack of new French oak. This is important, because Palmina is both literally and figuratively breaking new ground in California in its attempts to grow some lesser known Italian varietals.

The winery produces Malvasia Bianca, Traminer, Tocai Friulano, Pinot Grigio, Moscato and Arneis, along with several Nebbiolo-based and Barbera-based wines; a Sangiovese and Merlot blend that utilizes the passito method of drying grapes before pressing; a couple of Dolcettos, and a blend of Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Refosco among others.

In addition to being quite delicious and true to the characters of their grape varieties (something which I find lacking in many California renditions of traditional Italian grapes), Palmina wines are especially noteworthy for what I consider quite fair, even value-based, pricing. While they are not made in huge quantities, they deliver quite a bit of pleasure for their price tags.

I had the chance recently to taste four of the newest releases from the winery, and though they don't represent even 30% of the portfolio, I liked them well enough to justify this writeup.

TASTING NOTES:

2009 Palmina Wines "Honea Vineyard" Tocai Friulano, Santa Ynez Valley
Pale green-gold in the glass, this wine smells of green apples and wet stones. In the mouth it is crisp and bright and stony with unripe pear, lemon juice, and nice rainwater notes on the finish. Bright and true to the character of the grape variety. Would be difficult to peg as a California wine if tasted blind. Score: around 9. Cost: $20. Click to buy.

2007 Palmina Wines "Alisos" Sangiovese, Santa Barbara County
Medium to dark garnet in the glass, this wine has a nose of sweet cherry and red licorice aromas. In the mouth it is soft and velvety with the tart sour cherry and sandalwood of the Sangiovese and a distinct rich cherry and plummy note of Merlot (of which there is a bit blended in). The sour cherry lingers in the finish with nice acidity puckering the mouth and the lightly grippy tannins lingering in the corners. Score: between 8.5 and 9. Cost: $28. Click to buy.

2005 Palmina Wines "Mattia" Red Blend, Santa Barbara County
Medium garnet in the glass, this wine has a nose of very pretty cassis and blueberry aromas. In the mouth it offers blueberry and cassis flavors with a nice leathery undertone and a woody note that lingers in the finish. Light tannins. 55% Refosco, 30% Cabernet Franc, and 15% Merlot. Score: around 8.5. Cost: $30. Click to buy.

2005 Palmina Wines "Stolpman Vineyard" Nebbiolo, Santa Barbara County
Light to medium garnet in color, this wine has a gorgeously perfumed nose of violets and sour cherry aromas touched with a beautiful sweetness. In the mouth the wine has a beautiful lightness on the palate and incredible... drinkability. Nice acidity, beautiful, restrained raspberry and cherry flavors with cedar and violet notes linger on an airy finish. Fermented and aged primarily in big old oak barrels. Score: around 9. Cost: $40. Click to buy.

Laura wrote:
04.19.10 at 4:15 PM

I agree that the Tocai Friulano is really delightful. I also love their Traminer. I had the opportunity to pair it with a white chocolate coconut truffle and it changed the way I thought about chocolate and wine pairings forever. The coconut brought out melodic tropical top notes and rounded out the finish nicely.

Chris Lopez wrote:
04.21.10 at 12:29 AM

Just added them on Facebook. Probably passing through Santa Barbara in the next few weeks, will try to stop by. I have really been enjoying Italians lately and based on your reviews (and their pedigree) I look forward to tasting these!

Rich wrote:
05.02.10 at 10:20 AM

Being the first member of their wine club when they opened, I have to agree. Their wines are wonderful and reasonably priced. Notably, they are very nice and gracious people. Nice write-up!

PALMINA WHITE wrote:
07.28.10 at 6:53 PM

My italian parents named me Palmina since I was born on Palm Sunday many years ago. I was shocked since I do not know anyone with my name when I saw that the wine was named Palmina on the today show . How did you come up with this name. i can't wait to tryit.

Phil wrote:
09.29.14 at 1:14 AM

These tags are abc critical to a search engine bomb will net you
thousands, if not the most important ways to generate traffic too the site.

09.29.14 at 3:16 AM

Greetings! Very helpful advice within this article!
It is the little changes that will make the biggest changes.
Thanks for sharing!

Lunar Sleep wrote:
09.29.14 at 5:07 AM

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting
my own blog and was curious what all is needed to get
set up? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
I'm not very web smart so I'm not 100% certain. Any recommendations or
advice would be greatly appreciated. Kudos

Darian Braun wrote:
09.29.14 at 10:55 AM

Just apply the milk on your scalp and tie
a towel or some cloth around your hair to prevent loss of
the milk from your hair. This versatile, low molecular weight oil is able to leverage its traditional oil status to seal the
hair, but complements this sealing capacity with a
strong affinity for hair proteins not found in other hair oils.
Coconut oil extract benefits our health in many ways.

09.29.14 at 10:58 AM

There's definately a great deal to find out about this issue.
I love all the points you made.

Very ?ood info?mation. Lucky me I discovered your blog
?y accident (stumbleupon). ? have book-marked
?t for lat?r!

09.30.14 at 3:24 AM

Can I just say what a relief to find a person that genuinely knows
what they are discussing online. You actually understand how to bring
an issue to light and make it important. A lot more people have to
check this out and understand this side of the story.
It's surprising you aren't more popular given that you definitely
have the gift.

09.30.14 at 5:16 AM

Hello to every , since I am actually keen of reading this website's post to be updated daily.
It includes fastidious data.

09.30.14 at 7:23 AM

Hello, i think that i noticed you visited my website thus i came to go back
the choose?.I am attempting to to find issues to improve my
site!I assume its ok to make use of a few of your ideas!!

09.30.14 at 7:58 AM

You will usually have to convert your graphics,
because although there are options with digital cameras, there are
no true black and white digital cameras. Oblique aerial photography includes
high angle oblique and low angle oblique photos.
The job of the aerial photographer is to show the best features of your property
since in most ads you pay to post one image
and this should be the best one.

09.30.14 at 7:00 PM

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my web site thus i came to go
back the want?.I am attempting to in finding things to enhance
my web site!I guess its adequate to make use of
a few of your ideas!!