08.13.2011

Vinography Gone Fishin'

8 bottles of wine poured into floppy plastic water bottles. 50 pounds of gear and not an ounce more for fear of getting kicked off the tiny little float plane. And for the first time in six years, no laptop, no cell phone, and no iPad.

I'm off this morning to the wilds of Alaska to float down a remote river called the Kisaralik to fly fish for silver salmon, rainbow trout, char, and grayling with my dad.

I've not gone a week without checking e-mail or blogging since my honeymoon six years ago, so I'm sure I'll go through some withdrawal symptoms for a little while. Perhaps right up until I have a ten pound rainbow trout chasing my floating mouse pattern across a pool.

I'm sure you'll hardly know I'm gone. Drink some good wine, and I'll be back in a few days.

Ciao!

clive wrote:
08.14.11 at 4:45 AM

Hoping you have an amazing time and that you took enough wine with you :)

Rafa Ibarra wrote:
08.14.11 at 1:13 PM

Have fun!

Best regards from México.

Lynn wrote:
08.15.11 at 10:04 AM

I only wish I'd gone on fishing trips with my dad before he passed. He was a true angler/hunter that went all over on fishing and hunting trips. I fished for bass and rainbow trout in Colorado rivers with him when I was younger. Cherish the time with your dad (and the pouched wine!)

Matt wrote:
08.15.11 at 12:03 PM

That is so awesome...unplugging and spending time with your dad, enjoy every minute!!

Teri Robl wrote:
08.16.11 at 5:21 PM

The moment you said you can't pack an ounce more for fear of being kicked off the float plane I KNEW you were headed for Alaska! I live here, an amazing place and we drink alot of wine! I admire your plastic water bottle of wine smarts! Good job! Cheers and enjoy!

08.19.11 at 3:03 PM

That's we call total relaxation. Away from all the distraction of the of the modern world. You're one lucky fellow.

M. Stephens wrote:
08.23.11 at 6:20 PM

I just moved from Oregon to Texas so my fly fishing has slowed down and I envy you the trip. Fishing and hunting with Dad are some of my most cherished memories, so I hope you make some more of your own.

Vinography Unboxed: Week of July 7, 2014 Vinography Images: The Berry 2014 West Sonoma Coast Wine Festival: August 2-3, Sebastopol, CA Drew Wines, Mendocino, CA: Recent Releases Vinography Images: Pocket of Sun Vinography Unboxed: Week of June 29, 2014 Vinography Unboxed: Week of June 22, 2014 Vinography Images: Spring Pastels Blaufränkisch is Best Before Breakfast Austria: The Wine Lover's Dream Destination