01.24.2012

The States of Wine Shipping

shipping_image.jpg'It will cost the economy thousands of jobs.'
'It will reduce tax revenues and destroy retailers.'
'It will result in an epidemic of teen drunk driving.'

These were but a few of the vociferous arguments made on 5 January against a bill introduced to the New Jersey state legislature that merely proposed to allow New Jersey state wineries (of which there are now more than 40) to ship their wines to state residents, just like wineries in the neighbouring state of New York. The individuals offering these arguments were primarily representatives of the state's liquor wholesalers, who purportedly spent more than $1 million trying to prevent this legislation from coming up for a vote.

Welcome to America, where for 25% of the households in the country, it is easier to purchase guns than a bottle of wine on the internet thanks to the laws of the states in which they live.

To buy wine in Pennsylvania, for instance, you'll have to make your way to a liquor store run by the state government, with a selection driven more by bureaucracy and the whims of distributors than by any sense of what consumers might want....

Continue reading this article on JancisRobinson.Com.

This article is my monthly column at JancisRobinson.Com, Alder on America, and is available only to subscribers of her web site. If you're not familiar with the site, I urge you to give it a try. It's only £6.99 a month or £69 per year ($11/mo or $109 a year for you Americans) and well worth the cost, especially considering you basically get free, searchable access to the Oxford Companion to Wine ($65) and the World Atlas of Wine ($50) as part of the subscription costs. Click here to sign up.

Lorri wrote:
01.29.12 at 9:24 PM

Thank u, NJ legislature and Governor Christie for facilitating the legal shipping of wine to folks in your state. Huzzah!

Heather wrote:
01.30.12 at 9:22 AM

Please, would you post this article on this website? I'm in wine Logistics and Distribution in Napa, CA and feel I might find this information useful. It confounds me that I should have to subscribe to a British website to get information on the state of shipping wine within the United States.

I implore you. Please post here. Regards.

01.30.12 at 9:30 AM

Heather,

Sorry. That's an article that I wrote for Jancis and she owns it. Once a month I provide a teaser for the article I write for her. It seems to have piqued your interest. I suggest you try subscribing to her site -- there's lots of good stuff there.

11.21.14 at 12:17 PM

I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here.
The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish.
nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess
over that you wish be delivering the following.
unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly
the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

11.21.14 at 6:32 PM

Good day! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.
Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done
a extraordinary job!

11.21.14 at 7:04 PM

Nice answers ?n return of this issuye ?ith genuine argumenhts and describing ?verything ?egarding t??t.

11.21.14 at 8:03 PM

Excellent poste, encor? ?ne fois

mure sexy wrote:
11.21.14 at 8:55 PM

C'?st véritabl?ment une jo?e de passer sur ce blog

11.21.14 at 9:15 PM

I simply could not depart your website before suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard information an individual provide to your guests?
Is gonna be again often to check up on new posts

11.22.14 at 3:14 AM

Bon p?ste : pérennisez comme cela

11.22.14 at 4:46 AM

I am not sure where you are gettring your information,
but good topic. I needs to spend some tme learning much more or understanding more.
Thanks for magnificent information I was looking foor this information for my mission.

11.22.14 at 4:53 AM

I have been surfing on-line more than 3 hours today, bbut I by no means discovered any fascinating article
like yours. It is beautiful worth sufficient for me. Personally, if all
web owners and bloggers made excellent content as you probably did, thhe web will likely
bee much more helpful thban evsr before.

11.22.14 at 4:58 AM

People who are using Office 2007 can upgrade to full versions of equivalent editions of Office 2010 at discounted
costs. For a free option, Celtx is a favorite of penniless
screenwriters and film students. *A Quick Tip: If you are waiting for something
really important cross reference this with your electronic calendar.

tandblekning wrote:
11.22.14 at 8:24 AM

hi!,I really like your writing very so much!
proportion we keep in touch more about your post onn AOL?
I need a specialist oon this space too solve my problem.
Maybe that's you! Looking forward to see you.

11.22.14 at 8:31 AM

Terrific article! This iis tthe kind of info
tha aare supposed to be sshared around the web.
Disgrace on Gootle for not positioning this post higher!
Come on over and discuss with my wweb site . Thanks =)

tattoo guns wrote:
11.22.14 at 10:05 AM

Before getting home, be sure to stop by the store and pick up some more antiseptic ointment.
Just like there are a lot of star tattoo designs, there also are plenty of meaning to a
star tattoo. Some use primitive writing designs
and spiritual symbols which give that means and much more significance to the layout.

Louann wrote:
11.22.14 at 2:53 PM

I resd this piece of writing fully on the topic of tthe
difference of newest and previous technologies, it's remarkable article.

Wow, this article is pleasant, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds of things, therefore I am going to inform her.

11.22.14 at 3:58 PM

It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the longer term and it's time to be happy.
I have learn this publish and if I may I want
to recommend you few interesting issues or tips.
Maybe you can write subsequent articles regarding this article.
I desire to read even more issues approximately
it!