01.24.2012

The States of Wine Shipping

shipping_image.jpg'It will cost the economy thousands of jobs.'
'It will reduce tax revenues and destroy retailers.'
'It will result in an epidemic of teen drunk driving.'

These were but a few of the vociferous arguments made on 5 January against a bill introduced to the New Jersey state legislature that merely proposed to allow New Jersey state wineries (of which there are now more than 40) to ship their wines to state residents, just like wineries in the neighbouring state of New York. The individuals offering these arguments were primarily representatives of the state's liquor wholesalers, who purportedly spent more than $1 million trying to prevent this legislation from coming up for a vote.

Welcome to America, where for 25% of the households in the country, it is easier to purchase guns than a bottle of wine on the internet thanks to the laws of the states in which they live.

To buy wine in Pennsylvania, for instance, you'll have to make your way to a liquor store run by the state government, with a selection driven more by bureaucracy and the whims of distributors than by any sense of what consumers might want....

Continue reading this article on JancisRobinson.Com.

This article is my monthly column at JancisRobinson.Com, Alder on America, and is available only to subscribers of her web site. If you're not familiar with the site, I urge you to give it a try. It's only £6.99 a month or £69 per year ($11/mo or $109 a year for you Americans) and well worth the cost, especially considering you basically get free, searchable access to the Oxford Companion to Wine ($65) and the World Atlas of Wine ($50) as part of the subscription costs. Click here to sign up.

Lorri wrote:
01.29.12 at 9:24 PM

Thank u, NJ legislature and Governor Christie for facilitating the legal shipping of wine to folks in your state. Huzzah!

Heather wrote:
01.30.12 at 9:22 AM

Please, would you post this article on this website? I'm in wine Logistics and Distribution in Napa, CA and feel I might find this information useful. It confounds me that I should have to subscribe to a British website to get information on the state of shipping wine within the United States.

I implore you. Please post here. Regards.

01.30.12 at 9:30 AM

Heather,

Sorry. That's an article that I wrote for Jancis and she owns it. Once a month I provide a teaser for the article I write for her. It seems to have piqued your interest. I suggest you try subscribing to her site -- there's lots of good stuff there.

10.24.14 at 9:55 AM

People usually buy what they want, not what they need.
If you are a person you should begin your direction to giving up
as well. Rather we should hold a space for them -- there is a big difference.

Muhammad wrote:
10.24.14 at 10:32 AM

Hello, There's no doubt that your web site might be having web browser compatibility problems.
When I look at your website in Safari, it looks fine however, if opening in I.E., it has some overlapping issues.
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Apart from that, excellent website!

10.24.14 at 4:16 PM

") Contact the Prometric Candidate Services Call Center at 800-696-2722 or Prometric. The entrepreneurial owner of, say, a $2M, $5M or $20M business will almost surely be a very intriguing person. You can also find Bisk textbooks that have tips, ideas and strategies regarding how to plan for the CPA exam, along with 1000s of practice questions supported by in-depth explanations of correct and incorrect answers.

10.24.14 at 7:38 PM

Euh?h êtes vous cert?in d? ce que vous avancez ??

10.24.14 at 8:18 PM

L'ensem?le dees po?ts sont follement instructifs

10.25.14 at 12:46 AM

Piekielnie efektywny wpis, polecam ludziom

10.25.14 at 2:26 AM

Thank you for another great post. The place else could anybody get that type of info in such an ideal manner of writing?
I have a presentation next week, and I am at
the look for such info.

Vinography Images: Divine Droplets Bay Area Bordeaux: Tasting Santa Cruz Mountain Cabernets US 2014 Vintage - Early, Fast, Eventful Vinography Images: Big Shadow Come Explore The Essence of Wine with Me in Healdsburg: October 30th, 2014 Vinography Unboxed: Week of October 5, 2014 Another Idiotic California Law Screws Wineries Vinography Images: Vineyard Reflections The Fake Tongue Illusion and Wine Tasting 2014 Wine & Spirits Top 100 Tasting: October 21, San Francisco