01.24.2012

The States of Wine Shipping

shipping_image.jpg'It will cost the economy thousands of jobs.'
'It will reduce tax revenues and destroy retailers.'
'It will result in an epidemic of teen drunk driving.'

These were but a few of the vociferous arguments made on 5 January against a bill introduced to the New Jersey state legislature that merely proposed to allow New Jersey state wineries (of which there are now more than 40) to ship their wines to state residents, just like wineries in the neighbouring state of New York. The individuals offering these arguments were primarily representatives of the state's liquor wholesalers, who purportedly spent more than $1 million trying to prevent this legislation from coming up for a vote.

Welcome to America, where for 25% of the households in the country, it is easier to purchase guns than a bottle of wine on the internet thanks to the laws of the states in which they live.

To buy wine in Pennsylvania, for instance, you'll have to make your way to a liquor store run by the state government, with a selection driven more by bureaucracy and the whims of distributors than by any sense of what consumers might want....

Continue reading this article on JancisRobinson.Com.

This article is my monthly column at JancisRobinson.Com, Alder on America, and is available only to subscribers of her web site. If you're not familiar with the site, I urge you to give it a try. It's only £6.99 a month or £69 per year ($11/mo or $109 a year for you Americans) and well worth the cost, especially considering you basically get free, searchable access to the Oxford Companion to Wine ($65) and the World Atlas of Wine ($50) as part of the subscription costs. Click here to sign up.

Lorri wrote:
01.29.12 at 9:24 PM

Thank u, NJ legislature and Governor Christie for facilitating the legal shipping of wine to folks in your state. Huzzah!

Heather wrote:
01.30.12 at 9:22 AM

Please, would you post this article on this website? I'm in wine Logistics and Distribution in Napa, CA and feel I might find this information useful. It confounds me that I should have to subscribe to a British website to get information on the state of shipping wine within the United States.

I implore you. Please post here. Regards.

01.30.12 at 9:30 AM

Heather,

Sorry. That's an article that I wrote for Jancis and she owns it. Once a month I provide a teaser for the article I write for her. It seems to have piqued your interest. I suggest you try subscribing to her site -- there's lots of good stuff there.

Though you need to pay a lot more than a normal swimsuit but they are worth
it. It's a very elegant way to pull off a trend for 2014.
Cindy designs trendy one piece or two-piece plus size swimsuits
, tankinis and swimdresses From her design experience and customer feedback, she offers useful tips
on large bathers and sleepwear.

07.23.14 at 1:28 AM

I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by
him as no one else know such detailed about my problem.
You're amazing! Thanks!

My brother recommended I might like this blog.

He was entirely right. This post actually made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for
this information! Thanks!

07.23.14 at 8:22 AM

Backgrounds 10,000 Wallpapers is a free option available via the Marketplace and features some amazing examples,
while Background Pictures also offers a vast selection, this time
at 79p. There's something we can resolve now; to live
for now. There are two different ways to achieve a wallpaper change.

07.23.14 at 8:39 AM

I bel?e?e eve?ything said ?as very reasonable.
But, what about this? suppose you ?ere to write a awesome headline?
I mean, I don't want to tell you howw too run your blo?, howe?e? what if ?o? added a title that grabbed a person's attention? I
mean The States of W?ne Shipping - Vinography: A Wine Blog is? a littl?
vanilla. Y?u might look at Y?hoo's h?me page and see how they write news
headlines to get people tto o?en the links.
You mi?ht add a video or a pic or two t? gget rreaders interested
about everything've written. In my opinion, iit would make your website a litgle bit more interesting.

07.23.14 at 4:33 PM

You can expect a fast and fair settlement in hiring a
professional auto accident lawyer. A victim of an auto
accident can make substantial claims from the reckless driver or the car owner who are liable to pay for the vehicle damage and medical cost for treating the
injuries the victim has suffered. The success of a case depends on proper representation.

Nichole wrote:
07.23.14 at 4:53 PM

Hmm it appears like your blog ate my first comment
(it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.

I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything.
Do you have any helpful hints for first-time blog writers?
I'd certainly appreciate it.

07.24.14 at 3:04 AM

Closing the last half mile to Bay Shore, the "Lauren Kristy" swallowed
gulps of the now oily-black water with its bow, seeming caught in a
sea-and-sky void presently pierced by the pinpoints of light defining the approaching coast ahead and the 7.
Remember though, fish doesn't get better with age - use
it or lose it. While these are the major things represented
on the control board, you unit may have additional items represented, including surface clutter,
structure, second returns and thermoclines.

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thanks, However I am having
difficulties with your RSS. I don't know the reason why I can't join it.

Is there anybody having similar RSS problems?
Anybody who knows the solution will you kindly respond?
Thanx!!

abbancavano wrote:
07.24.14 at 9:26 AM

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some
time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.