10.17.2012

The Essence of Wine: Umami

vinography_essence_umami.jpg

Image © 2012 Leigh Beisch

The fifth taste. The molecular expression of savory deliciousness that explains what bacon, chicken soup, and sautéed mushrooms all have in common. Unlike many of the things we taste, which are more aromas than tastes, the flavor known as umami is perceived directly by the taste buds. Perhaps for this reason it can be just as much a sensation—a sudden rush of mouthwatering goodness—as an actual flavor. Originally discovered by a Japanese researcher looking to explain one of the distinct qualities of his country's cuisine, umami exists everywhere. Sometimes the product of cooking, sometimes the product of nature alone, we are drawn to this flavor in all its incarnations. In wine, umami can assume any of its many foodish guises, but quite often shows up as notes of olive, miso paste, soy, and more. Red wines, more often than white, seem to employ this flavor, especially as they age. But umami can show up in nearly any glass, usually with welcome results.

Chateau de Beaucastel Blanc, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Rhone Valley, France
Domain Marcel Deiss "Burlenberg" Pinot Noir, Bergheim, Alsace, France
Montenidoli "Sono di Montenidoli" Red Blend, Tuscany, Italy
D'Arenberg "The Coppermine Road" Cabernet Sauvignon, McLaren Vale, South Australia
Nicolas Catena Zapata Red Blend, Mendoza, Argentina
Tournesol "Proprietors Blend" Proprietary Red, Napa Valley, California, USA
Chateau Pichon-Longueville Comtesse Lalande Bordeaux Blend Pauillac, Médoc, Bordeaux, France
Henschke "Hill of Grace" Shiraz, Eden Valley, Barossa, South Australia
Domaine Skouras "Synoro" Red Blend, Nemea, Peloponnese, Greece
Abacela "Paramour" Tempranillo, Umpqua Valley, Oregon
Takler "Regnum" Red Blend, Szekszárd, Hungary

This is part of an ongoing series of original images and prose called The Essence of Wine

10.22.12 at 6:29 AM

Great article. You nailed what I pick up in our 2009 Eternity Reserve Cab.

resort wear wrote:
10.17.14 at 11:46 PM

T?e other ?ay, while I was at work, my cousin stole myy apple
ipad and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop, just so she can be a yout??e sensation.
My ?p?le ?pad is now broken and she has 83 views. ? kno? this is
completely off topic but I had to share i?t ?ith someone!

10.18.14 at 1:42 AM

If you are going for finest contents like me, simply go to see this site
daily as it offers quality contents, thanks

Jurgen wrote:
10.18.14 at 10:08 AM

Right away I am going to do my breakfast, afterward having my breakfast coming yet again to read more
news.

Ciara wrote:
10.19.14 at 5:37 AM

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot.
I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

10.19.14 at 12:03 PM

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how could
i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a acceptable deal.
I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea

10.19.14 at 12:37 PM

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I
thought this post was good. I don't know who you are
but certainly you're going to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;) Cheers!

I always spent my half an houhr to read this web site's content every day along with a mug of coffee.

10.19.14 at 10:42 PM

Today, I went to the beach with my children. I found a
sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.
There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.

She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic
but I had to tell someone!

Hmm ?t eems l?ke your blog ate my first ?omment (?t ??s extremely l?ng) s? I guess ?'ll just sum it up ?hat I submitted ?nd s?y, I'm
thoroughlyy enjoying ??ur blog. ? to? am an aspiring blog
blogger ?ut I'm still new t? everything. Do yoou have any tips and hints for fi?st-time blog writers?
?'d genuinely a?preciate it.

10.21.14 at 3:45 AM

I do not know whether it's just me or iff everybody else encountering issues with your site.

It looks like some of the written text on your posts are running
off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me knnow if this
is happening to them as well? This could be a problem with
my internet browser because I've had this happen before. Many thanks

10.21.14 at 5:54 PM

As a Green Keeper on a golf course, and landscaper with experience, I'm asked, continually, for help with people's gardens.
Had you always been thinking to upgrade the pavers
of the patio. With its thick, glossy needles and dense, upward-reaching branches, the yew is useful as both a shrub and tree.