05.16.2013

Wine In 140 Characters or Less

twitter_wine.jpgThere was a time when the conversations between the cognoscenti of the wine world happened behind closed doors. Until recently, most of us could have only imagined the whispered commentary of top sommeliers as they passed in the wine cellars of the world's best restaurants, or fantasised about the kinds of things that top wine writers discussed in conclave. So, too, the drinking habits of the well-known in the wine world were only available if published, often on paper, and then usually with a tantalising lack of precision.

Opinions abound as to the true value of Twitter and many employ a wide variety of metaphors that all circle around the general impression of it being 'a complete waste of time'. But for anyone interested in what wine people are thinking, drinking, and discussing this instant or this year, it provides an incredible window into the lives and minds of the world's wine critics, writers, sommeliers, wine buyers, retailers, and yes, consumers.

Using an application called TweetDeck, I actually have a streaming list of every tweet in cyberspace that contains the word 'wine' scrolling through my computer in near real time. It unfurls faster than ticker tape, and contains exactly the profound insights you might expect from a collective community of 200 million active users all over the globe.

Continue reading this article on JancisRobinson.Com.

This article is my monthly column at JancisRobinson.Com, Alder on America, and is available only to subscribers of her web site. If you're not familiar with the site, I urge you to give it a try. It's only £6.99 a month or £69 per year ($11/mo or $109 a year for you Americans) and well worth the cost, especially considering you basically get free, searchable access to the Oxford Companion to Wine ($65) and the World Atlas of Wine ($50) as part of the subscription costs. Click here to sign up.

Image by Sally Falkow

Peter C wrote:
05.17.13 at 9:22 AM

Someone needs to get a life.

Ophelia wrote:
08.22.14 at 7:09 PM

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found
a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.

There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!

LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell
someone!

test wrote:
08.23.14 at 1:18 AM

hello there and thank you for your information – I have definitely
picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise several technical issues using this site, since I experienced to
reload the website lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly.
I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining,
but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your
placement in google and can damage your high quality score if
advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I am
adding this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective intriguing content.

Ensure that you update this again very soon.

Verona wrote:
08.23.14 at 2:31 AM

magnificent publish, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this
sector don't realize this. You must proceed your writing. I'm sure, you've a huge readers' base
already!

08.23.14 at 4:41 AM

Hola, me encantó esta publicación. De hecho, yo elegí a registrarse en el sitio.
Luego, puedes seguir más el uno y el otro m. Aprovecho este post para presentarme.
Mi nombre es Claudio, trabajo en España y me apasiona el mundo digital.

Un cumplido a todos aquellos que leen este mensaje.

Zachery wrote:
08.23.14 at 1:30 PM

A whetstone wilol ?et t?e job d?ne ?etter than ?ny ofher tool mentioned
he?e, but it taoes the m?st practice t? do it ?ight.

Nowadays, t?ere's a multitude of great brands coming up with all sorts ?f tactical knives.

B?tter quality butterfly knives ?ith hex screw axis will break t?o.

08.26.14 at 5:52 AM

I'm extremely impressed along with your writing talents and also with the structure to your
blog. Is that this a paid tpic or did you modify it
yourself? Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, iit is uncommon to look a great
weblog like this one these days..

08.27.14 at 5:39 PM

Be seen by those searching for you online by being represented on the first page of major
and local search engines. If you are not producing successful social media campaigns then you are basically talking to a wall or to yourself.
In the world of Internet, there is no magic formula that will guarantee success every time when you introduce
New Ideas.

08.28.14 at 10:00 PM

Hello! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.
Is it hard to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal
but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinking
about setting up my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any tips or suggestions?