06.02.2004

If your wine was Gerard Depardieu, what would it taste like?

My local grocery store has a special on the newly released J. Garcia wine, named for the late great leader of the Grateful Dead. They've even decorated the bottle with one of his paintings. The fastest appreciating wine produced at the Napa Wine Company each year is the Marilyn Merlot, featuring the (also late) actress in a different pose each year and while current releases are about $25, the 1985 goes for $3,500 a bottle these days.

What is it with celebrity and wine? Become a big name star and either you've got a wine named after you, or you're starting a winery yourself. Francis Ford Coppola. A sparkling wine named Sophia. Get it? Well now you can even get it in a can. He's probably to blame for the whole thing, getting in as early as he did.

The New York Post reports recently that several new celebrity wines will be in the offing in the next few months from such luminaries as Bob Dylan, Carole Bouquet, Gerard Depardieu, Boz Skaggs, which will join wines already on the market from Robin Williams to Sting to Alex Trebek. I'll take "Ways to Spend Your Celebrity Money" for $3 Million please, Alex.

Of course I've got nothing against all of this winemaking and wine labeling. Heck, I'd love to have the money to open a winery and I'd probably put my name on the label as long as people wouldn't confuse me with Alderbrook. But we know a lot more about celebrities than anyone would know about me. We've seen them laugh, love, adventure, and pour their hearts out on the screen or over the airwaves. Those things cannot help but make an impression on us and shape our perception of a wine, which, I suppose is the whole darn marketing idea. But it begs the question, what about those celebrities who we've seen drag their bulky frame grunting and sweating through immigration offices, angst filled country menage a trois, and stinking sea-soaked voyages?

Maybe he can leave the photo off the label.

enoch choi wrote:
06.02.04 at 6:47 PM

Gerard Depardieu's wines may not be all that tasty, but the J Garcia stuff is from the same vinyeards that go into Markham and La Jota, pretty yummy wines, although the La Jota is too much tilted to the french style for my tastes.

Alder Yarrow wrote:
06.11.04 at 3:35 PM

And then there was Elvis...

Alder Yarrow wrote:
06.13.04 at 11:21 AM

More on J. Garcia wine here.

02.21.05 at 3:12 PM

A little bird has tipped me off that, in fact, Mr. Depardieu's wines have gotten some pretty good receptions from critics including Parker who scored them as follows:

2003 Ma Verite de Gerard Depardieu (91-93) Early Maturity
2003 Gerard Depardieu Lumiere de l'Atlas 87-89 / Mature
2003 Gerard Depardieu Ma Preference 87-88N / Mature
2003 Gerard Depardieu Priorato 87-89 / Early Maturity

Julann Smyth wrote:
09.12.05 at 7:42 AM

Hi there

I am doing some research about celebrities and wine and am interested in Robin Williams. Does he have his own wine? Does he have a vineyard? Or is there just a wine named after him? I'm looking in google and can't find that much about the connection between Robin Williams and wine yet. If you could get in touch and give me some details I would be very grateful.

Kind regards
Julann

09.12.05 at 4:36 PM

Julann,

I'm sorry I don't have any information on this. I don't remember where I saw that mention that Robin had a wine. I would just see what Google comes up with.

Seth wrote:
09.12.05 at 10:28 PM

Robin William's brother, Todd, does Toad Hollow.

johng wrote:
09.21.05 at 5:02 PM

Robin Williams has a place up on Mt. Veeder. Gotta be vineyard on the property, but I'm guessing he sells the fuit.

PeterA wrote:
10.31.05 at 11:11 AM

Gerard Depardieu, 56, owns vineyards in France, Spain, Morrocco and Argentina. Perhaps the "Lumiere de l'Atlas" is from the Morroccan vineyard, and you could probably place some of the other wines to a country by their name. Depardieu is serious about his winemaking, probably unlike most other celebreties who are simply cashing-in on their name. After making 170 films he wants to do different things with his life.

Pat wrote:
12.19.05 at 10:33 AM

Does anyone have a list of all the vineyards owned by Gerald Depardieu or a list of his wines?

Tammy wrote:
10.25.06 at 10:56 PM

Where can one purchase any of the Depardieu wines either online or retail in So Cal?