10.16.2004

John Cleese and Wine: A Deadly Mix?

I'm not sure whether I'm proud or sad that I've never laughed so hard that wine came out my nose, but if I had cable you can bet I'd be sitting in front of the TV with a big mouthful of wine this Sunday as none other than John Cleese makes his debut as the host of a Food Network show called "Wine For The Confused." The show, in Cleese's own words is supposed to bring wine down to an everyman's level. "I felt it was a shame that something that is such a source of pleasure should have become restricted by all this snobbery."

If you manage to see it, would you post a comment and let me know how it is? I'd especially like to know what wine feels like as it comes out of your nose.

Wine for The Confused
The Food Network
Sunday October 17, 10 PM EDT

Kieca wrote:
10.16.04 at 10:42 AM

I am recording it late sunday and can report back. (I can probably also dump a copy to tape for you if you really want to see it.)

10.16.04 at 11:16 AM

thanks for the tip
that sounds too funny
i am going to try and record it on our dish network HD version of tivo thingy (which means sorry i cant offer you a tape)
i wish the food network was in HD, then I am sure I'd be allowed to watch it more often

Kieca wrote:
10.18.04 at 10:17 PM

So it's vaguely amusing here and there, but not fall on the floor funny. It's very basic: he covers how wine is made, the three great whites and three great reds, what terroir means, how to serve wine, etc. It's all really an overview, more or less. He shows some folks doing blind tastings to prove that people can't tell a five dollar wine from a 200 dollar one, stuff like that.

bill wrote:
02.18.05 at 7:52 PM

I am looking for a copy of john cleese's wine for the confused, I missed most of it and wanted to see it badly any one could help me i would be very happy

Michelle wrote:
03.21.05 at 10:42 PM

I also am looking for a copy of john cleese's wine for the confused. Any luck here?

Anonymous wrote:
07.13.05 at 10:16 AM

check soulseek. i got it from there.

07.13.05 at 7:31 PM

Looks like it will be released on DVD on August 9th. From the studio:

This August, KOCH Vision presents John Cleese: Wine For The Confused on DVD. As seen on the Food Network, this entertaining and informative documentary helps every wine novice become a seasoned connoisseur. Comedy legend John Cleese (Monty Python's Flying Circus, A Fish Called Wanda), who plays the "Voice of God" in the Broadway musical Spamalot, offers a fun-filled introduction to the world of winemaking without any of the snobbery often associated with the subject. Available to home-viewing audiences on August 9, 2005, John Cleese: Wine For The Confused also includes visits to several wineries from the critically acclaimed film Sideways and a special guest appearance by actor Brendan Fraser (The Mummy, Crash).

small_covershot_dropshadow.jpg A wine book like no other. Photographs, essays, and wine recommendations. Learn more.

Taste Washington Day One in Brief Vinography Images: Trailing Vine Checking On Some Older CA Pinot Noir Chateau Rayas and the 2012 Vintage of Chateauneuf-du-Pape Vinography Images: Tuscan Garden IPOB - The Tasting That Became a Movement Does Vine Age Matter? Vinography Images: The Future Vineyard A Little Vinography Housekeeping 2014 Rhone Rangers Tasting: April 6, Richmond, CA