11.16.2004

At Your Newsstand: Women in the Wine Industry

I've pretty much given up on the Wine Spectator. My subscription will not be renewed when it comes due next, especially since they have instituted an incredibly draconian policy which basically puts every shred of content on their site behind a login (which costs $49 a year). Mostly though I'm tired of their weak writing, shameless advertising dependency, and narrowmindedness.

However, it might be worth visiting a newsstand near you to read (if not purchase and read) the article in the current issue about women in the wine world. Its well researched and written, if a bit predictable, but its a great celebration of some fantastic women who have made indelible marks on the wine industry and some who are doubtless going to.

It's wrongly a male dominated world of wine and I enjoyed seeing the achievements of these women celebrated. Check it out.

rob campbell wrote:
11.16.04 at 4:33 PM

unfortunately for the female gender I did not read much in these articles that doesn't parallel many of the same obstacles women experience in a lot of industry endeavors. rc

11.16.04 at 5:13 PM

It's sadly true, and much of the wine world that operates within the scope of large corporations is bound to stay that way. I'm more interested in the smaller producers, however, and those seem to be generating a decent amount of meritocratic opportunity. Any female winemakers or winery owners in Colorado ?

11.16.04 at 9:42 PM

The website thing really ticked me off. I mean, sure, I understand they have to pay for the thing, but there are plenty of ways to work that model. If nothing else, subscribers should get free access, not "a discount".

Anyway, I'm very behind on my issues (though I read the article you mentioned) but I feel like I have to keep my subscription going just to see the mainstream wine press's take on things. They and Robert Parker are the waltzing 800-pound gorillas of the wine world, regardless of whether you agree with them or not, so it seems worthwhile to at least see what they've recently covered.

On the other hand, I long ago let Bon Appetit lapse, and how is that any different?

Rob Campbell wrote:
11.17.04 at 9:57 AM

Yes, there are many women active in the Colorado wine industry - at all levels. There is a winemaker at one of the larger better known wineries, albeit rumored she is always under the heavy hand of the owner. We have a woman who does a locally known Port, then there are a couple of women very active in vineyard ownership. I have been active locally for approximately a year and have had the opportunity to work with all of these women in different capacities and find them all top notch - even though most of us here in Colorado are still on the uphill learning curve.

Lenn wrote:
11.17.04 at 1:29 PM

Funny...I was just reading this article last night, with much the same reaction. Here on Long Island, of all the winerys (28) only one has a female winemaker. And she is also the only female principal owner as well.

She does make some great wines though...and is a fascinating woman.

WS is what it is...interesting only in as far as it shows major trends (although they are always behind the curve, no?). I never see much of anything about NY wine in there...but I'll keep reading...I guess.

Can you guys suggest some of the other wine publications you really like? Besides our blogs of course :)

Yvette wrote:
11.17.04 at 1:56 PM

The WS website upset me too. I've also decided not to renew, but I will continue to read Wine Advocate and Food & Wine

bligblog wrote:
11.21.04 at 4:04 PM

When I read the review on women in the wine

11.22.04 at 1:45 AM

As a french winemaker, I can say that women in the french wine industry are less of 1%, but They are more professional than the male average.

11.28.04 at 1:23 PM

Lenn, in terms of other wine publications, I think Decanter is particularly good, though tilted towards European wines, and I love Kermit Lynch's newsletter. I'm going to get trial subscriptions to a few others and do a little write up on the best wine magazine(s) out there.