Well, it's out again: the list of the world's top fifty restaurants as judged by Restaurant Magazine in the U.K. Always a lightning rod for criticism from all sources, myself included, the list provides a point of view based largely on the editorial of the magazine and polling of chefs around the world.
The biggest beef I have with the list is its (lack of) representation of Asian restaurants. I've not eaten at Tetsuya, but I have eaten at Nobu, and I guarantee you those aren't the best Japanese restaurants in the world. Nothing from Singapore? Nothing from Shanghai? And while Felix may have improved since I was there, I have a hard time believing it's the best in Hong Kong (even though it has a damn fine view).
In any case, here's the rundown of awards and links to the restaurants' web sites if you care to plan a visit or just be an armchair gourmand. If you're interested, here's last year's list.
Best Restaurant in the World: The Fat Duck - Bray, Berks, England.
Chef's Choice: El Bulli - Montjoi, Spain.
Best Restaurant in Europe: The Fat Duck - Bray, Berks, England.
Best in The Americas: The French Laundry - Yountville, California, USA.
Best in Australia: Tetsuya's - Sydney, Australia.
Best in Middle East & Africa: Le Quartier Francais - Franschhoek, South Africa
Best in Asia: Felix, Hong Kong
Highest New Entry: Per Se - New York, USA.
Highest Climber: Chez Panisse - Berkeley, California, USA.
Outstanding Value: Cal Pep - Barcelona, Spain.
Editor's Choice: Enoteca Pinchiorri - Florence, Italy.
American Express Lifetime Achievement Award: Paul Bocuse
THE 50 BEST RESTAURANTS IN THE WORLD:
1. The Fat Duck " Best in Europe - Bray, Berks, England.
2. El Bulli - Chef's Choice - Montjoi, Spain.
3. The French Laundry - Best in Americas - Yountville, California, USA.
4. Tetsuya's - Best in Australasia - Sydney, Australia.
5. Gordon Ramsay - London, England.
6. Pierre Gagnaire - Paris, France.
7. Per Se - Highest New Entry - New York, USA.
8. Tom Aikens - London, England.
9. Jean Georges - New York, USA.
10. St John - London, England.
11. Michel Bras - Laguiole, France.
12. Le Louis XV - Monte Carlo, Monaco.
13. Chez Panisse - Highest Climber - Berkeley, California, USA.
14. Charlie Trotter - Chicago, USA.
15. Gramercy Tavern - New York, USA.
16. Guy Savoy - Paris, France.
17. Restaurant Alain Ducasse - Paris, France.
18. The Gallery at Sketch - London, England.
19. The Waterside Inn - Bray, Berks, England.
20. Nobu - London, England.
21. Restaurante Arzak - San Sebastian, Spain.
22. El Raco de Can Fabes - San Celoni, Spain.
23. Checchino dal 1887 - Rome, Italy.
24. Le Meurice - Paris, France.
25. L'Hotel de Ville - Crissier, Switzerland.
26. L'Arpege - Paris, France.
27. Angela Hartnett at The Connaught - London, England.
28. Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons - Oxon, England.
29. Le Cinq - Paris, France.
30. Hakkasan - London, England.
31. Cal Pep - Outstanding Value - Barcelona, Spain.
32. Masa - New York, USA.
33. Flower Drum - Melbourne, Australia.
34. WD50 - New York, USA.
35. Le Quartier Francais " Best in Middle East & Africa - Franschhoek, South Africa
36. Spice Market - New York, USA.
37. Auberge de l'Ill - Illhaeusern-Alsace, France.
38. Manresa - California, USA
39. Restaurant Dieter Muller - Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
40. La Maison Troisgros - Roanne, France.
41. The Wolseley - London, England.
42. Rockpool - Sydney, Australia.
43. Yauatcha - London, England.
44. The Ivy - London, England.
45. Gambero Rosso - San Vincenzo, Italy.
46. The Cliff - St James, Barbados.
47. Le Gavroche - London, England.
48. Enoteca Pinchiorri - Editor's Choice - Florence, Italy.
49. Felix - Best in Asia - Hong Kong.
50. La Tupina - Bordeaux, France.
Vinography Images: Birth of a Grape Introducing The Essence of Wine Book Forlorn Hope: The Remarkable Wines of Matthew Rorick Vinography Unboxed: Week of November 24, 2013 Vinography Images: Down the Row Pinot Days Southern California 2013: December 7, Los Angeles When Should You Not Be Allowed to Be Biodynamic? Vinography Unboxed: Week of November 17, 2013 Vinography Images: Below the Clouds Don't Ask a Dinosaur for Directions
Masuizumi Junmai Daiginjo, Toyama Prefecture Wine.Com Gives Retailers (and Consumers) the Finger 1961 Hospices de Beaune Emile Chandesais, Burgundy Wine Over Time The Better Half of My Palate 1999 KirÃ¡lyudvar "Lapis" Tokaji Furmint, Hungary What's Allowed in Your Wine and Winemaking Why Community Tasting Notes Sites Will Fail Appreciating Wine in Context The Soul vs. The Market 1989 Fiorano Botte 48 Semillion,Italy