04.28.2006

Vinography in Fast Company Magazine

Back in 1998 and 1999 Fast Company magazine was the news-ticker heartbeat of Silicon Valley. I used to read it, along with the Industry Standard, Red Herring, and Wired, with awe and excitement at the dot.com explosion going on around my ears. To be in Fast Company at that time meant that you were either striking it rich or royally screwing up (of course now we know that sometimes they were the same thing). At the time Fast Company wasn't just a magazine it was a newly minted adjective. If your company was a fast company, it was breaking all the rules and experiencing the growth we've come to associate with the Internet Bubble.

I won't lie to you. There was a time back then when I was in the midst of that whole space and thought that maybe I might find a way to grace those pages.

Then everything came crashing down.

But while many of those companies and a couple of those magazines have bit the dust, Fast Company has survived and wouldn't you know it, but this month I'm in it. This month's issue is all about food, with a big cover story on Chef Homaru Cantu of Moto in Chicago. Nestled in there as well is a sidebar about wine blogs and Vinography is plugged along with Tyler's Dr. Vino and Jamie Goode's Wine Blog, both of which, as you probably know, are very deserving of coverage.

I;m sure this means that any day now some VC is going to come up to me and write me a big fat check for a minority stake in Vinography. Anyone else want in on the action? I can most likely but not entirely guarantee my performance will be better than Pets.com.

Check out the issue. It's a good one.

beau wrote:
04.28.06 at 2:40 PM

If you come up with an adorable sock-puppet mascot, I'm sure the VCs will be pounding down the Vinoraphy door.

Congrats on the pub!
Cheers, beau

04.28.06 at 2:42 PM

Brilliant idea. Maybe a little plush wine barrel with a mouth ?

Kevin wrote:
04.28.06 at 3:08 PM

Congrats on the mention in one of my favorite magazines (I've been a subscriber since inception).

Cheers,
Kevin

Tom wrote:
04.28.06 at 5:32 PM

Alder,

How much for 2 points worth of the action? Of course, I'll need to see your P&L, the balance sheets for the past three fiscal years, your long term projections, a marketing plan, etc. Or, we can scrap all that and I'll give you a few cases of wine and we can call it a deal!! Whatcha say?

Congrats...!! Nice publicity.

cheers,
Tom...

04.28.06 at 9:03 PM

Tom,

With my pinkie to the corner of my mouth, I’d say you can get into the action for....

One. Thousand. Dollars.

I don’t do no stinkin balance sheets. My business plan is similar to the underpants gnomes on South Park.

Step 1: Steal underpants.

Step 2: ??

Step 3: Profit !!!

Like Bartles and James, I say: thank you for your support.

Natester wrote:
05.02.06 at 3:49 PM

Alder,

How about some wine for a slice?

05.02.06 at 3:52 PM

Nate,

Depends on the wine. Gotta be good stuff !

Vinography Images: Into the Tank 72 Pinot Noirs on a Sunny Afternoon: Tasting at IPNC 2014 The Great White South: An Introduction to Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc Vinography Images: Along the Row Time For The World's Best Prison Wine Coastal Diamonds: The Rieslings of Oregon Vinography Images: The Red Window Taking Celebrity Wine to the Next Level Vinography Images: The Blue Berry 2014 Family Winemakers Tasting: August 17, San Mateo