05.29.2006

What I Did Today Instead of Blogging

Purely utilitarian. Long overdue. Hard work -- I think I'll stick to blogging.

my_wine_rack.jpg

578 bottle / 48 case capacity. Only one crooked shelf to fix when I get a few minutes.

Hope everyone enjoyed their three day weekend as much as I did.

Sean wrote:
05.30.06 at 10:42 AM

We're looking for similar racks for our basement -- where did you get these?

05.30.06 at 11:05 AM

Sean,

I built 'em myself (with help from my father, who's handy with a chopsaw).

wineglut wrote:
05.30.06 at 5:04 PM

I think you should leave the crooked shelf and put 375's in the narrow space above and 1.5's in the extra space below. Tell everyone in was part of your original design. Heck, anyone can build things straight.

cd wrote:
05.30.06 at 5:08 PM

nice work. now let's see the after—fill it!! =)
how'd you find room for that in SF? that's what I want to know. I have most of mine offsite, and I only need about half the amount. is this in a closet? basement?

05.30.06 at 5:13 PM

Interesting idea with the 375s and 1.5l bottles....Unfortunately (or fortunately) the screwup isn't that big.

This is down in my basement, which is really a big room behind the garage which backs up against a retaining wall that holds my backyard up on one side and the neighbor next door on the other.

cd wrote:
05.30.06 at 5:38 PM

I'm guessing you didn't build a few degree angle (front to back) into the shelves in hopes of earthquake prevention, did ya? I read about some super fancy pants cellars in napa built like that. always sounded like a great idea.

05.30.06 at 6:10 PM

Dunno about the angled shelves, especially with the need to keep bottles at least horizontal in order for the corks to stay wet.

I bolted the racks to the foundation and framing of my house, so as long as the house doesn't collapse, the racks aren't going to fall over, and I plan on installing guards on the front of the shelves so that the wines won't fly out the front in the event of a shakup.

If we get another 9.0 I'm afraid there's probably little I can do to avoid some serious damage.

Funy that you ask, however, because I had a very earthquake proof set of plans that I was going to implement, but then I did some calculations and realized that it would have more than halved my storage capacity.

Lenn wrote:
05.30.06 at 6:52 PM

Looks great, Alder. I'm pondering my basement storage options myself.

I have a great cement walled nook that I think will work...but it seems to be between 65 and 70 there...a little warm. Perhaps some insulation will help.

cd wrote:
05.31.06 at 9:16 PM

with a 9.0 we'll have bigger things to worry about =-o

as for the angle, i don't think it's much. you can hold a bottle at and angle adn still keep the cork wet though. if it's a bordeaux shaped bottle, the air probably sits in the shoulder. got me though, it can't be a very economicla way to build shelving. good call with the guard!

'half your storage'?! that would not have been good. as any self respecting wino knows, you can nver have enough wine storage. hehe

Vinography Unboxed: Week of October 19, 2014 Vinography Images: Divine Droplets Bay Area Bordeaux: Tasting Santa Cruz Mountain Cabernets US 2014 Vintage - Early, Fast, Eventful Vinography Images: Big Shadow Come Explore The Essence of Wine with Me in Healdsburg: October 30th, 2014 Vinography Unboxed: Week of October 5, 2014 Another Idiotic California Law Screws Wineries Vinography Images: Vineyard Reflections The Fake Tongue Illusion and Wine Tasting