07.29.2006

Wine Tasting Robots From Japan

The Japanese have a national love affair with robots of all kinds. One of the coolest things I ever waited on line for five hours to see was the Tokyo Robot Show, where along with tens of thousands of cameraphone toting young Japanese I got to see the debut of Sony's Qrio and Honda's Asimo bipedal robots.

While perhaps not so glamorous as a robot that can walk around, play soccer, and dance, the latest robotic technology out of Japan is perhaps more practical. NEC corporation has developed a robotic sensing apparatus that is capable of analyzing wine samples accurately enough to determine the varietal and the place of origin. While this sort of technology isn't entirely new, the method used by this robot is somewhat unique. Unfortunately this thing isn't cool enough to slurp it up and then spit it out again, but it does use laser beams!

OK. Maybe they're only infrared LED beams. But that's still pretty cool, isn't it?

Anyhow, these LEDs reflect light off the wine sample and then spectrographic analysis is done on the reflected light to analyze the sample. The applications of this system, which can identify about thirty different variations in flavor profile, are limited given the hundreds of thousands of wines out there in the world. However, this technology proves the possibility of developing sensors to help with specific incidents of fraud that are more common in the wine world.

I'm sure Domaine Romanee Conti has already placed an order, or will shortly, as they seem to be a particular target for fraudulent bottles, given the astronomical prices they command at auction.

Read the full story. Thanks to Spittoon and Wine Life Today for the tip-off on the story.

07.29.06 at 9:02 PM

Why is it that the author ( and myself) feels that the robot would be even cooler if it were able to slurp the wine swish it about and then spit it out. Why do we crave our robots in such human form?

07.30.06 at 1:56 AM

Just yesterday I wrote a note on Spitton.biz abou the same terrific japanese engine. I reproduce here the note, Alder:
"Just two words to say that this kind of engines make me seriously nervous: in any case, I'm almost sure that, after analysis, the bot is absolutely unable to "say" nothing about quality, scents, fragances, etc., etc., etc. And this will be our fortune!"
All the best from Barcelona!
Joan

09.04.06 at 9:58 AM

And now the robot is a friendly little green guy who talks: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5312220.stm

11.21.14 at 6:12 PM

An item of furniture that has cost a fraction of the cost of more pricey items is likely to have
a much shorter lifespan. In the metropolitan culture of France, French furniture connotes
Parisian furniture; furniture made in provincial centers such as Blois and Orlans in the Loire valley, and at Lyon or Lige (never part of France
politically but within its cultural orbit), followed at some distance the design innovations that were initiated
in the luxury trades of Paris, often with a time lag that could
amount to decades; its history is told separately: French provincial furniture.
Not only are our collections extensive, we offer the largest number of fiber and fabric
choices, and are perfectly happy to custom design to your specifications.

11.21.14 at 7:06 PM

I'm amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that's both equally educative and interesting,
and without a doubt, you've hit the nail on the head.

The issue is something which too few people are speaking intelligently about.
Now i'm very happy I stumbled across this during my search
for something relating to this.

11.22.14 at 6:05 AM

What's up, everything is going wel here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that's
genuinely fine, keep up writing.

11.22.14 at 9:30 AM

I always spent my half an hour to read this website's articles everyday along with a mug of coffee.

cozy booties wrote:
11.22.14 at 10:47 AM

Hello, Neat post. There's an issue along with your site in internet explorer, would test this?
IE nonetheless is the market chief and a big section of other folks will omit your magnificent
writing due to this problem.

An impressive share! I've just forwarded this onto a coworker who has been doing a little homework on this.
And he actually ordered me breakfast simply because I discovered it for
him... lol. So let me reword this.... Thank YOU for the meal!!
But yeah, thanks for spending time to discuss this matter here on your site.

11.22.14 at 10:06 PM

Its structure enables for carrying plenty of equipment like
snow footwear, a wind breaker or other warmer jackets and has a neat fleece lined goggle pocket which helps prevent the goggle from fogging up.
The fleece guards the lens from scratches primarily all through tumbles and falls.
It also has a helmet pocket which would make carrying the helmet
all around really stress free.

I located these truffles horrible, I enable them stand for 4hrs it
did not agency up properly. I put them in the fridge for 2hrs they firmed up a little bit, but not plenty of to
roll. I set them in the freezer until the upcoming day.

For the dough: in the bowl of a stand mixer with the
whisk attachment, whisk the egg yolks, complete egg, sugar, butter,
and buttermilk. Add roughly two cups of the flour alongside with the yeast and salt
whisk until eventually moistened and blended. Clear away the whisk attachment and change with a dough hook.

Leather-based skirts are as well-known as they have ever been. And the reason is in all
probability since they are a versatile merchandise of apparel.
For example, they range in length from micro to mini to
just over the knee to below the knee. In a range of circumstances,
the application of leather was even prolonged to pants and add-ons as nicely.
Leather pants were being then regarded to be sizzling and women ended up also instantaneous to go
by this improvement. Black leather pants with belts that had whopping shiny buckles turned a
fashion statement primarily with the youth..

There is no rationale whatsoever for Lois Lane, who admittedly confirmed up for five times of school, to be expecting to
be remembered as a pupil there. Positive, Lois was
a armed forces brat, so she grabs on to the Smallville Superior element of her
lifestyle and maybe romanticizes it for a lot more than it was, but I know the intelligent Lois Lane would under no circumstances anticipate a team of young adults who
realized every other for the initial 18 yrs
of their lives to remember considerably if everything about the 5 times they may or might
not have seen some new chick wandering the halls.
I know this is likely to audio nit picky to some
of you, but it information like this that bug the living Blue Kryptonite
out of me.

11.22.14 at 10:17 PM

Its style and design allows for carrying tons of accessories
like snow shoes, a wind breaker or other warmer jackets and has a neat fleece lined
goggle pocket which helps prevent the goggle from fogging up.
The fleece shields the lens from scratches particularly in the
course of tumbles and falls. It also has a helmet pocket which helps make carrying
the helmet close to pretty trouble free.

I uncovered these truffles awful, I allow them stand for 4hrs it
did not company up correctly. I set them in the refrigerator for 2hrs
they firmed up a bit, but not ample to roll. I set them in the
freezer until the upcoming working day. For the dough: in the bowl of
a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg yolks, total egg, sugar, butter, and
buttermilk. Increase close to two cups of the flour together with
the yeast and salt whisk right up until moistened and combined.

Remove the whisk attachment and swap with a dough
hook.

Leather skirts are as preferred as they have at any time been. And
the motive is probably since they are a adaptable merchandise of outfits.

For case in point, they change in size from micro to mini
to just earlier mentioned the knee to down below the knee. In a variety of scenarios, the
application of leather was even prolonged to pants and accessories as nicely.
Leather-based pants have been then deemed to be warm and ladies were
being also immediate to go by this growth. Black
leather-based pants with belts that had whopping shiny buckles turned a fashion statement in particular with the youth..

There is no explanation in any respect for Lois Lane, who admittedly
confirmed up for five times of school, to anticipate to be remembered as a college student there.
Guaranteed, Lois was a armed forces brat, so she grabs on to
the Smallville Significant component of her lifetime and
perhaps romanticizes it for much more than it was, but I know the sensible Lois Lane
would under no circumstances count on a team of youthful
grown ups who realized every other for the first eighteen years of their lives to
bear in mind a lot if just about anything about the five times they may perhaps or may perhaps not have seen some new chick wandering the halls.

I know this is likely to audio nit picky to some of you,
but it particulars like this that bug the living Blue Kryptonite out of me.

11.23.14 at 12:04 AM

Awesome article., http://goo.gl/yRcQ4W

11.23.14 at 5:47 AM

Wow that wass odd. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit
my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyhow,
just wanted to say fantastic blog!

11.23.14 at 6:13 AM

Asking questions are really good thing if you arre
not understading anything fully, but this artcle gives fastidious understanding yet.

11.23.14 at 7:32 AM

Yes! Finally someone writes about repasir your.

11.24.14 at 1:04 AM

If some onee wishess expert view regarding blogging and site-building thjen i recommend
him/her to visit this blog, Keep up the pleaseant job.

11.24.14 at 1:11 AM

Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?

you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site
is wonderful, let alone the content!

11.24.14 at 2:25 AM

Usually I do not learn artiicle on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up vwry presured me to check out and ddo so!
Your writing style has beden surprised me. Thank you, very great
article.