07.19.2006

Wine Writers, Polish Your Résumés

Serious applicants only please. It has come to me through the top-secret grapevine that Linda Murphy, long-time wine editor at the San Francisco Chronicle just announced her imminent departure. This surprise move opens up one of the most prominent wine writing positions around.

The weekly dedicated Wine section of the San Francisco Chronicle is the only one of its kind in the nation, and most recently won the 2004 James Beard Foundation Award for Best Food and Wine Section in any U.S. newspaper. It also has an incredible amount of readership outside of the San Francisco metro area, making it one of the most visible outlets for wine newspaper journalism in the country.

Of course, it's also my home paper, so I will be very interested to see the fallout from Linda's announcement, and will be eagerly anticipating the potential for a new voice in the San Francisco wine scene.

Anyone willing to stick their neck out and nominate potential candidates? Rod Smith just left his editorship at Wine & Spirits, so theoretically he'd be a ( to my mind, fantastic) possibility, though I'm not sure he'd be keen on commuting to the city from Sonoma County for weekly editorial meetings.

Anyhow, you heard it here first: the Chronicle is looking for a new chief wino.

Bob Cat wrote:
07.19.06 at 9:35 PM

David Darlington is the go to guy, He can write and he has a palate, A positive move I think.

fred wrote:
07.19.06 at 10:28 PM

Anthony Bourdain. Sure, I have my reservations but SF needs a kick in the confit. Besides, he's more fun to read than Michael Bauer could ever hope to be.

07.19.06 at 10:32 PM

HA! Bordain is a riot when he's not pissing me off, but does he really know anything about wine?

A

07.20.06 at 1:02 AM

Come on, Alder, isn't the best opportunity to show people all around the States how to write about wines, with full knowledge and sensibility?
Please, apply!
Joan

07.20.06 at 9:09 AM

Joan,

Thanks for your encouragement but I'm not qualified for the job nor could it pay my bills !

07.20.06 at 10:03 AM

Dear Alder, concerning the bills, well you very much than I know what you need!!!
Concerning the qualification for a job , I was thought that in the States the most important think was aptitude, ability and bein prepared for the job. Isn't it the job to write on wines for an important newspaper? Well, I think you are most qualified!
All the best,
Joan

Sam wrote:
07.21.06 at 8:57 AM

What about E.S. Brown from Winegeeks.com? That guy knows his stuff about wine, and every article is filled with mad humor.

The Corkdork wrote:
07.22.06 at 6:55 PM

I'm thinking Rod Smith. He is for the everyman, but he's one of the most knowledgeable guys I read regularly. (W&S Magazine, mostly.)

Vinography Unboxed: Week of July 7, 2014 Vinography Images: The Berry 2014 West Sonoma Coast Wine Festival: August 2-3, Sebastopol, CA Drew Wines, Mendocino, CA: Recent Releases Vinography Images: Pocket of Sun Vinography Unboxed: Week of June 29, 2014 Vinography Unboxed: Week of June 22, 2014 Vinography Images: Spring Pastels Blaufränkisch is Best Before Breakfast Austria: The Wine Lover's Dream Destination