09.05.2006

Wine With Your Own Custom Label On It

If someone had told me that after a couple of years of wine blogging, I would be on the press release list for every company, winery, and wine PR agency on the planet, I might just have reconsidered this whole endeavor. Sadly, no one did, and here I am, blogging away with just my head sticking out of this huge, virtual pile of wine junk mail. Winery openings, new winemakers, profit statements, charity dinners, dogs having puppies, new releases, library releases, winemaker dinners, new types of wine racks, new magnetic tools for turning bad wine to good, auctions -- you name it, I've got an e-mail for it in my Vinography inbox.

99.9999999% of it is crap. Or if it's not, it's completely uninteresting to me, and, I believe, to you.

But occasionally, really rarely-occasionally, I actually get something that's marginally interesting. Today I got a little note about a service called Signature Wines which basically allows you to order two or more bottles of wine with a completely custom, personalized label on them. You can either design the label completely yourself, or you can use one of their many templates.

It's actually a pretty useful service to folks who are interested in giving wine as gifts or having bottles of wine be part of some sort of marketing or promotional campaign. Or, if you've always wanted to see your name on a bottle of wine, there's always the vanity/amusement factor.

The bottles of wine they offer aren't the greatest in the world, though they are actually bottles of commercial wines like Kendall-Jackson and Honig, which frankly are better quality than I would have expected a service like this to use.

Before anyone gets super excited about their own custom label, I should say that I tried creating one, uploaded it to the site, and promptly got an error telling me that I hadn't uploaded anything -- there are still obviously some bugs in the custom label part of their application -- but the templatized label creation functionality works pretty well.

So. Not for everyone, but definitely a worthwhile service for weddings, special events, or just personalized gifts. Thought I'd pass along the link.

Jay wrote:
09.06.06 at 8:34 AM

Hey!

My buddy in the other down under wine world does this. He'll even let you create your own wine! http://www.wineprojects.co.za

09.06.06 at 8:56 AM

Jay,

There are lots of services out there like your friend's that involve more custom winemaking and which yield commercially viable wines (i.e. that can be sold on the market).

This service is a different animal, and is designed really for novelty purposes -- folks who don't really care what's in the bottle, but want something personal on the label, and want to get them in the mail in a couple of days.

Whit Stevens wrote:
09.12.06 at 1:14 PM

Champagne producer Pierre Peters will do custom labels: http://www.vitiplus.com/pierre-peters/etiquettes.html

stacey wrote:
02.18.08 at 7:06 PM

I am an event planner and used to order from Signature Wines, but after a few frustrating experience I began working with Personal Wine. Their customer service is five star. Check out the website: www.personalwine.com.

Olivia wrote:
02.22.08 at 11:43 AM

Yesterday I attended the 20th Annual Partyfest Extravaganza in Dallas, Texas. Most of the exhibitors did not interest me. However, one booth was a real show stopper. Coincidently, it is the same company that Stacey recommended, Personal WIne. They specialize in personalized wine, and I agree are much better than Signature WIne. Unlike Signature Wine, they offer many select wines from vineyards across the United States and Europe. You can create your label on the website or have one of their graphic designers design it. Check out their website: www.personalwine.com!

Robert wrote:
06.03.08 at 4:33 PM

Does anyone know any other services that will do the same with foreign wines (Italy, France, South America..) ?

please e-mail me at robbit22 at gmail dot com