10.01.2006

Happy Sake Day!

Today, October first, is Sake Day, or Nihonshu no Hi as designated by the Japanese sake brewing industry. Of course, this isn't a true national holiday (can someone start lobbying the incoming new government?), but one which is celebrated by sake lovers at home and abroad.

There's little to no information in English available anywhere about this day, so I'm afraid I can't tantalize you with any of the exciting ways that folks in Japan celebrate the holiday, other than their likely consumption of the good stuff. Perhaps one of my Japanese readers can fill in some blanks.

In any case, it's appropriate on a day to celebrating this unique beverage to reflect on its long and important history in Japan.

Like wine, no one knows exactly when sake first made an appearance. In a similar fashion to grape wine, the knowledge that fermented rice eventually yields an alcoholic beverage was probably discovered in accidental and then later deliberate stages, as innovative and curious folks explored ways of getting drunk.

We know that rice cultivation in wet paddies (the contemporary form of cultivation) began around the 3rd century AD and developed very slowly for the next 300 years until more modern techniques began to be slowly imported from China and Korea.

Around that time we have the first written records acknowledging the existence of a beverage that must have been around for some time previous to that date, as the records are not just bills of sale or minor transactional notes, but a declaration of the formation of an official imperial brewing department for the emperor.

Somewhere between 800 AD and 1100 AD sake brewing had developed to the point that there were different recognized brewing methods and guilds beginning to form in order to protect the techniques and knowledge of these methods, as well as to ensure employment for those who understood them. Around this time it is believed sake was first warmed for drinking.

By the end of the Heian era (the early 13th century) there were 15 different types of sake being brewed by the 180 independent brewers in the (then capital) city of Kyoto alone. Sake brewing would soon become popular among monks as well, leading to an explosion in breweries situated in temples and shrines.

In the late 14th century, partially due to the healthy competition among thousands of sake breweries, the major technical developments that directly influence today's sake brewing took place. The use of a concentrated yeast mash as a starter for the sake process was formalized during this time, and the spores of the koji mold that is still in use today were first isolated and cultivated.

In 1578 the brewers in the Itami prefecture had grown to be some of the pre-eminent sake makers in the country, and in this year they developed a filtering method that yielded what was probably the first perfectly clear sake, which immediately struck the fancy of the Shogun. His demand for sake turned Itami into the sake capital of Japan for hundreds of years.

By 1600, the three stage sake brewing process that is used today had been formalized, pasteurization of sake was a regular occurrence (even though it wouldn't be called such for a few hundred more years), and sake production had moved almost entirely to the use of white rice for brewing purposes.

For pretty much the following 200 years, sake production and demand in Japan grew in waves. Technological innovations continued to occur, including notably the process of adding a little distilled alcohol during the brewing process, and the craft became slowly more artisan, with emphasis on rationality, the type and quality of water involved, and the type of rice used all becoming elements of a highly sophisticated craft.

Sake production and demand is likely to have peaked in the mid 19th century when a law was passed allowing anyone to become a brewer. As many as 30,000 breweries were opened in the year of the law's passing, though that number dwindled as taxes on sake and its raw materials increased through the end of the century.

In 1895 sake yeast, or the particular strain that is most responsible for sake fermentation was isolated.

By 1900, there were about 8000 sake breweries in Japan, many of whom had been in business for centuries already. In 1904 the government established a national sake research institute, and shortly began holding the annual tasting and competition for new sakes that still goes on today.

The two major developments in the sake industry during the first half of the 20th Century were the invention of the modern rice milling process and its associated machinery, which is directly responsible for much of the modern evolution of sake as a beverage, and the development of Yamada Nishiki, which is the most popular strain of rice used for brewing sake.

World War Two demolished much of the thriving sake brewing industry in Japan, either literally, or at least by circumstantially forcing almost half of the then 7000 sake brewers to halt production, marking a sort of dark ages for sake production.

After the war, when Japan was finally opened to the global economy, sake began to see competition from other beverages, most importantly from beer, which quickly became one of the most popular drinks in the country, fueling the development of a native beer brewing industry that survives today.

in 1973, the modern word for sake nihonshu was coined and put into regular use and a year later, sake production in Japan hit an all-time high. Though production would fall for the next twenty years, interest in sake as a high quality artisan beverage would continue to rise, giving birth to Jizake (regional, "small production" sake) and the Ginjo and Daiginjo sake classifications in use today.

Which brings us to today, and my need to go out and have a bottle right now. I hope you'll do the same, or if not, at least enjoy what's left of Sake Day. Kampai !

I am indebted to John Gauntner and his Sake World web site for many of the facts above. It is virtually required (and highly recommended) reading for anyone interested in sake.

Melinda wrote:
10.01.06 at 10:52 PM

Okay, I'll bite. You may be disappointed to learn that it's not much of a big deal here, but certainly some people celebrate with a bit of the good, bad, and sometimes even ugly stuff. Whatever's at hand.

The inspiration for Sake Day comes from the visual similarity of the kanji for sake to the one for the Year of the Cock (tori), or the 10th cycle of the Chinese zodiac. Wanting, of couse, a reason to celebrate every year, however, a day in October was chosen as Sake no hi.

Melinda wrote:
10.01.06 at 11:01 PM

I forgot to say that I learned that in a book I read by Mr. Gaunter.

10.01.06 at 11:08 PM

Thanks Melinda, I knew I could count on you. I suspected that this holiday was something that probably got bigger play in San Francisco than in Japan, but wasn't sure. I certainly didn't know about it when I was over there, otherwise I would have thrown a party.

Thanks for the interesting tidbit about the kanji. Those sorts of things are some of my favorite subtleties of Japanese, as depressing as they are in that I will only ever understand them when someone points them out to me in English....

10.11.06 at 5:29 PM

It’s now already a few years sake day on the First of October. My Japanese friends and I always laugh about it. There is not a day sake shouldn’t be celebrated, so we do.
Good research on the history of sake. I studied myself for half a year and to keep it short but informative is quit a performance. John Gauntner is a prime source I can see. The man should get an article at the Wikipedia for building the bridge for sake between the western and the Japanese world. Then another guy Philip Harper also did some good work and last but not least people like Chris Pearce and off course the best wine blog writer, that’s you. Cheers Alder

10.18.14 at 2:57 AM

A wide rpm range for maximum torque is a trait of turbocharged engines that helps deliver better performance but
Encore needs more than that. Although this isn't a necessary factor, it can offer you peace of mind moving forward with a vehicle.
Encore trim levels progressively add standard equipment with packages
available in both front-wheel and all-wheel-drive models:.

Learn more wrote:
10.18.14 at 5:17 AM

I am really enjoying the theme/design of your web site.
Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues?
A handful of my blog audience have complained about my blog
not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera.

Do you have any tips to help fix this issue?

You really m?ke it se?m s? easy ?ith youir presentation ?ut I find this topic t?o
bbe actually somedthing whyich ? think ? wo?ld
never understand. ?t ?eems too complicated and extremely
broad f?r me. ? amm l?oking forward f?r your next post, I will t?y to gget the hang
?f it!

10.18.14 at 6:30 AM

If you are going for best contents like me, only pay
a visit this web page daily since it provides quality contents, thanks

10.18.14 at 6:56 AM

of torque mated to a Hydra - Matic 6T40 6-speed
automatic transmission. Before any trip to a car dealership, you need
to do some research to figure out what type of car you need.
Inside, the centre screen and rear-view camera that comes with the optional Technology Package ($2,300) now displays a graphic of the rear parking sensors that
beep loudly as you approach objects behind the vehicle.

10.18.14 at 8:02 AM

The FWD Encore with the Premium group I had totaled out at
$30,730, and there is an array of amenities that is almost
staggering. Fissure didn't shoot down Patrick Hurley, but it's surprising commencement, but the ascent of near-professional college sports.
That higher view of the road isn't sacrificed for poor handling
though.

10.18.14 at 11:07 AM

?hat a inforemation off ?n-ambiguity and
preserveness of valuaqble experience ?oncerning unexpected
emotions.

10.18.14 at 5:23 PM

The SUV car hire is now easily possible in your city may it be Los Angeles,Santa Monica,Beverly Hills or Hollywood as the eminent rental agencies are providing
their rental services to the different cities of the state.
The Utes, they can hold bundles of fun to call before the season of games gaming
primarily rugger, after elds of age were posting
comments on the NCAA football schedule is all of a sudden no Florida.
And according to the attached video I was not the only one having problems.

10.19.14 at 1:54 AM

Excellent article. Keep posting such kind of info on your page.

Im really impressed by your site.
Hello there, You have performed an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and
in my opinion suggest to my friends. I am sure they'll be benefited
from this web site.

10.19.14 at 1:38 PM

Additionally it is a wonderful concept to put plywood
below the dumpster because this retains it from scratching or
cracking the surface it's resting on. Since dumpsters can permeate mushy surfaces,
we is not going to position it on grass or dirt. When dumping gadgets,
you should drop them inside of the dumpster as opposed to slinging them, and you
should not elevate heavy objects with out utilizing your decrease physique.
Contact Kerneli Dumpster Rental at 800-330-7410 for more information about our dumpster rental options.

10.19.14 at 2:56 PM

Fast forward to modern day and thanks in large part to a
bunch of sheiks in the Middle East, auto makers have developed a new breed of SUV;
the crossover. With the Sport suspension, high-speed
handling is flat and stable with a high level of grip from the 19-inch Continental
Conti - Winter Contact tires on our vehicle, but with its tall ground clearance and heavier
curb weight, the Tiguan is no GTI. On dry pavement, one-hundred per cent of the power goes to
the front wheels, but it can send all the power to the rear wheels if necessary.

10.19.14 at 6:14 PM

You actuall? mawke ?t se?m s? easy with ?o?r presentation ?ut I
find t?i? matter to ?e reall som?thing
?hich I think I would nev?r understand. It seems tooo complex and
extremely broad for me. I am lo?king forward f?r you? next post, I'll try t? gett the hang of it!

10.19.14 at 8:05 PM

Follow these steps to create a bootable Windows 7 install
from a USB thumb drive:. The diagnostic program GENERIC
is designed for the legislation based diagnostics, specially targeted for emission related fault codes.
No matter the reason, in Office 2010, changing
the product key is simple.

4000Sr.Com wrote:
10.20.14 at 6:29 AM

What in the name of the mother of a guy named Pete did I ever
do to Old Man Winter and Mother Nature to make them hate
me so much. Or at least that's what Bill - Clinton says--and he
is, after all, the President ofthe United States. I rewired the plow and for
the most part, it worked.

Ezekiel wrote:
10.20.14 at 9:12 AM

Le?s carbohydrate means less flow through the pathway oof glycolysis
with its potent?al to pro??ce more M?. Furt?ermo?e, as
you may know perfectly t?at it hass high
levels of antioxidant?, which usuall? flush
out toxins and fre? radicals from thh? bo?y, which m??y have the weight of 20 pound?.
Healthy Diett Habits fo? a Healthy Lifestyle Tip #8:
Allow You?self a Cheat Day or Several Cheat ?eals.

Motokuryecim wrote:
10.20.14 at 1:36 PM

Actually when someone doesn't be aware of then its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it takes place.

10.20.14 at 4:12 PM

Valuable info. Lucky me I found your website unintentionally, and I'm shocked why this accident didn't happened in advance!
I bookmarked it.

10.21.14 at 11:04 AM

If so, it is best to lease one now by calling 714-386-6581.

Patents for snow plows were issued as far back as
the early 1920's. Recent data for the consumer sector (payroll jobs, unemployment rate, and consumer credit)
have been mixed. I rewired the plow and for the most part, it worked.

10.21.14 at 2:53 PM

The salesman-slash-owner assured me it was not being over-used and that it was the correct
model that HE sold me to perform the job that I needed.
Looking bleakly at the long, unforgiving driveway, I realized by noon,
that sitting down in front of the television in time for kick-off was severely threatened.

Connected to the land, genuine and passionate about what they do.