12.21.2006

Vinography Images: Vineyard Lights

Happy Holidays from Vinography!!

Vineyard Lights - Michael Regnier

"It took 5 generators and over $1000 of white Christmas lights and lots of help, but we pulled it off. We lit the vineyard the night before and came back just before sunrise. We got stuck in the mud on our way back and almost didn't make it in time to catch the first glow of dawn on the horizon, but thanks to a winch and some hard work we got the shot." -- Michael Regnier

INSTRUCTIONS:
Download this image by right-clicking (Mac users, click and hold) on the image and selecting "save link as" or "save target as" and then select the desired location on your computer to save the image.

To set the image as your desktop wallpaper, Mac users should follow these instructions, while PC users should follow these.

PRINTS:
If you are interested in owning an archive quality print of this image, or any of the other vineyard images featured here on Vinography, you can purchase one on the Michael Regnier Photography web site for $85."

ABOUT VINOGRAPHY IMAGES:
Every Thursday, Vinography features a new image from photographer Michael Regnier for readers' personal use as desktop backgrounds or screen savers. We hope you enjoy them.

Dr. Debs wrote:
12.22.06 at 11:38 AM

That's the best yet! Make a fortune next year turning these into holiday cards. I'll take 3 boxes!

John wrote:
12.22.06 at 9:56 PM

Very nice photography by a very talented photographer, however the title of the photo could also be called:

1-"Fun ways we find to increase the price of the wine you buy from us," (anybody mention the labor involved?) or better yet,

2-"Much needed viticultural methods to make our wine actually taste better."

3-Or how about "Geez, we gotta find new ways to invest all the hard earned cash you fork over to us for our industrial wines."

4-Maybe, "See, we really do care about the product we make. See, see, you do see don't you?"

5-"Next, I'll show you how I decorated my Mercedes, my wife's Rolls, and my toddler's Lamborghini."

6-"Wait till next year when we show our vinification techniques by having a photographer take photos of egg-nog floating in our vats. Wait, that was last year. That's why we had to do this."

7-"Doesn't this make you really -FEEL- really, really great about spending money on us? Sure it does."

9-"Those ridiculous Europeans. Spending their money and time on such trivial pursuits. Forget about the wine. Don't they know that THIS is what REALLY sells?"

10-"Quality? "Hmmm, that's a thought...Naaah."

Merry Christmas.
John-Ohio

duane wrote:
12.23.06 at 7:27 AM

Whoa, John!

I would invite you to do a couple of things for us. One, click on the Michael Regnier's link that Alder has provided to understand the artist's background.

Two, look up the psychology term "projecting".

John wrote:
12.23.06 at 7:51 AM

Duane,
Please re-read my very first sentence. My comments are no reflection whatsoever of the photographer/artist. In fact, I enjoy his work so much I intend to purchase one of his beautiful prints...just not this one (for obvious reasons! Can you tell).
Enjoy the holidays.
John

Brian Miller wrote:
12.24.06 at 9:56 AM

Well, of course John is right. The French do nothing but devote themselves 100% to the needs of the vine and wine making. There is nothing extraneous at all in French winemaking. I mean, the immense stone palaces of the Premier Cru Chateaux have nothing to do with advertising the pretensions of the Chateaux. Heck...violent protests that burn things in order to get more government subsidies for plonk production that nobody wants anymore. I agree. Christmas decorations are FAR MORE INSIDIOUS than that.

John wrote:
12.24.06 at 12:31 PM

Touché! (as the French would say)
I agree wholeheartedly with you Brian!
I'm really not such a bad guy. And certainly not unreasonable. Perhaps I should have substituted "artisinally produced wines," or something of that nature for "French."

Lousy French wines? Absolutely, positively. Overpriced-I won't even go there with Bordeaux. It's axiomatic. And I avoid them. Psychos who depend on socialist hand-outs, having their lifestyles taken away behaving predictably? It's unfortunate that subsidies ever began in the first place. But that's all for another day.

My sentiments (and pocketbook) lie with those offering a nearly unlimited selection of styles that are not bulk-processed. Who offer vintage variation (taste-alikes are a bore), not covering up deviations with a wallop of oak. Those wines that have a supply chain in effect as long as your arm who still manage to bring me wines with finesse, elegance, versatility at table, ageing potential, and plain old lip-smacking good juice, all at a QPR that is simply astounding given the laws, their potential customer's inability to understand their labels, and other obstacles in place along the entire journey to my table. And how 'bout those vignerons of the northern Rhone who grow and harvest on slopes so steep they would challenge a trained athlete. Tractors? Impossible. Having to re-build their centuries old rock walls--by hand year after year. Their reasoning? All I can say is, thank goodness, as their children give up the hard life to take a job in the big cities. Some of these enterprises dying out altogether.

Not to mention the fact that one would be forced to display an extreme lack of appreciation to not know that most all French wines (it just so happens they're French) set the varietal bench-mark (for nearly all varieties) that all other countries have been trying to emulate for over 100 years, at least. (Those benchmarks being set even more hundreds of years ago in most cases). Do you often hear of the entire world trying to emmulate...? Well...I don't.

No, my sentiments don't belong with the "wine Disney-lands" where you are constantly wondering what exactly it is you're paying for. Though seldom found any longer, give me a burgundian whose family has made wines for generations, with an old, damp, dark cave under his old house with fireplace who bottles and possibly even labels them himself. Hand-crafted from start to finish. Am I a Romantic? Sure, but if these didn't exist I wouldn't be talking about them.

Are there California wines like this? Undeniably. And unfortunately they seldom generate the kind of attention that a neon sign does. But they keep plugging away. I wonder why? And I'd bet it's not because they have to face the banker every month, after month, after month.

I hope I have clarified myself a little. And please guys, I'm doing a little generalizing throughout my entire missive, but I do hope you get my drift. It'd be nice to have some company on this "ride"---if you dare(!)

Happiest holidays to you and yours.
In good fun,
John

12.24.06 at 6:09 PM

John,

You don't know A THING about the circumstances of this photograph -- whether it is a small producer or a large producer, a biodynamic vineyard that has been worked by three generations of family, or a set of vines owned by the largest wine producer in the world. The implication that someone who would go to the expense of putting up some lights in a vineyard for this photograph is either A) making their wines more expensive to the consumer or B) doesn't believe in making quality wine is patently absurd.

What if I told you a very small winery donated the land, money, and yes, the labor, to have this image shot as a holiday post card to benefit a children's cancer foundation based in California wine country? I would hope you'd be ashamed of yourself.

There are plenty of other articles on this blog where you can engage in conversations about wine quality in the new world vs. the old world, but this particular article is certainly not the place for it.

Alder

Powell wrote:
12.26.06 at 10:50 AM

Wow. I'm a romantic/cynic as well John so I get what you're saying.

I'm also the Art Director who thought that lighting a vineyard might be a nice way to simply say, "Happy Holidays from the wine country" (USA). I had no idea that my inner self was so premeditaded and manipulative. I'll check into this disfunction with my shrink.

Mike didn't mention that we had several volunteers work on the shoot because they thought it would be a neat thing to do. They loved being outdoors in this beautiful countryside while enjoying life with friends. Personal pride and goodwill was the motivation to capture this image. The vines were treated with care (as always). As you know and if you think about it, the vines were not harmed.

Last time I checked, we live in a capitalist society and we all occasionally have to choose between our passions and making a living. My question to you is John, what compromises have you made in your line of work that affords you the income to enjoy a nice expensive bottle of French wine?

In my opinion, everyone should be in a position to enjoy a nice glass of wine. It doesn't have to be so exclusive and only for the French.

So please John, have a nice glass of French wine, enjoy your passion and Mike's artwork for what is. I've worked with him for years and he's always thumbed his nose at the commercial world. Because of his passion, he can't afford the French juice either.

Anyway, isn't it all this supposed to be about good cheer?

Peace,
Powell Michael

Mithrandir wrote:
12.26.06 at 2:35 PM

What's with the weird filters - the strangeness in the background that makes it look like a wrinkled painting? It's not awful, but it sort of gets old. Mr. Regnier has been using it faithfully on all of the images we've seen.

This is an awesome photo, but the gimmickry detracts.

12.29.06 at 11:20 AM

Mithrandir, that's his particular style. Call it a painterly effect, if you will. The nice thing about art (particularly free art) is that you don't have to like it!

SpaFlyer wrote:
01.22.07 at 2:30 PM

That is simply beautiful. I wish I could have seen it!

Henry-Philippe wrote:
11.21.07 at 2:41 PM

From a designer's perspective as well aesthetic, and having grown up in a winery myself, I really enjoy this photograph and applaud the effort put into it. It might not be ecologically sustainable art, and is certainly not an expensive land art setup in comparison to artists like Christo and Jeanne-Claude. It's another wonderful photograph by Michael Regnier. I might even think of just decorating my vineyards with Christmas lights to celebrate the good harvest. And french wines don't have to be expensive... unless you wouldn't pay more than 6.95 for a Tetra pack of red...

Burns wrote:
01.11.11 at 4:39 PM

Awesome shot! Came across it on tastespotting.com

Kristi wrote:
11.25.11 at 12:15 PM

Beautiful!!! Can I use this as my personal Facebook profile photo during the holidays & link/credit you here?

monica wrote:
06.15.13 at 9:35 AM

Absolute magic ... fantastic photography!

10.29.14 at 8:23 AM

Wow. I'm a romantic/cynic as well John so I get what you're saying.

10.29.14 at 8:24 AM

Wow. I'm a romantic/cynic as well John so I get what you're saying.