02.26.2007

The French Wine Affaire: March 4th, San Francisco

fwa120.jpgIf there's one thing we don't need more of in San Francisco, it is public tastings of California wine. Nearly every varietal has got one at this point and some varietals (ahem - you know who you are) have up to five different tastings dedicated to them. That's not to mention those tastings dedicated to a whole genre of California wines, such as those made by small producers or those made in the style of a certain area of France.

No, what we really need more of in San Francisco are tastings of wines from other places.

Which is why I was particularly interested to find out about something called The French Wine Affaire. Held at Fort Mason this coming Sunday, this event purports to be a showcase of the many wines of France, covering nearly every major wine region.

Put on by the French Wine Society, this is one of the first such events of its kind. Over 150 wines will be poured, accompanied by hors d'hoeuvres and French cheeses.

Some of the producers whose wines will be on offer include:

Chateau Beaucastel
Vincent Girardin
William Faiveley
Charles Heidsick
Marc Kreidenweiss
Pierre Morey
Louis Latour
Domaine Weinbach

I'm always urging my readers to educate themselves about some of the better wines of the world, and such tastings are a perfect way to do so without breaking the bank. Not to mention the fact that at such tastings the folks pouring the wines often know something about them as well, increasing the opportunity to learn.

I have heard from the event organizers that they expect to sell out within the next 48 hours, so if you're interested I recommend getting tickets ASAP.

The French Wine Affaire
Sunday, March 4th, 2007 - 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Fort Mason, Convention Center
Buchanan St and Marina Blvd, San Francisco

Tickers are $55 for French Wine Society members and $65 for non-members, and can be purchased online.

Parking at Fort Mason is always variable. Now that the lot is paid, there tends to be more, but usually I avoid it and park on nearby city streets, which isn't always easy.

As for all public tastings, I recommend a good night's sleep, eating a good lunch beforehand, dark clothes, and the intelligence to spit instead of swallow.

Eric Lecours wrote:
02.27.07 at 10:15 AM

Thank you for notifying your readers of the event.

Joe wrote:
02.27.07 at 7:07 PM

I have to say that I was very impressed with the selection of French wine in Napa on my last trip out. I expected an all-California offering, but it was not the case at many restos. Of course, I didn't fly to Napa for French wine, but I was surprised to see that nonetheless.

Geoff Smith wrote:
03.05.07 at 10:27 AM

Hi Alder,

It was a good event. Didn't see you there, though. Did you get there early?

Geoff

03.05.07 at 11:30 AM

Geoff,

I missed this one. Too much else going on.

Joyce wrote:
03.06.07 at 3:29 PM

I missed this one too. Alder, have you heard that Wine Enthusiast is bringing their Toast of the Town event to San Francisco on March 29th at the War Memorial Opera House? I attended in Chicago and it was great. I can get you some info if you want to tell your readers about it. Their website is www.wineenthusiast.com/tot07. I am going to that one.

Alex wrote:
03.14.07 at 3:59 PM

Alder,

I too was wondering what you thought of the Wine Enthusiast Taste of the Town event. It seems to be a significant event, but you have not mentioned anything about it. Do you think it would be worth attending for the $95 ticket price?

03.15.07 at 12:05 AM

Alex,

I generally post about events only a couple of weeks before they happen. I've never been to the event, so I can't say whether it's any good.

So, take it slow and you should be just fine. Perform 40 minutes of morning cardio (last
session of the program!).

10.19.14 at 9:24 AM

Bordering two towns, it ran a meandering mile and a half of unpaved dirt
that demanded year round maintenance that anyone
ever living on a dirt road can appreciate. If Caro has
a secret for surviving more than 100 years, it is that the factory Oxnard rebuilt remained precisely that for many years
and remains so today, meeting challenges as they arise
, gaining the support of its community and changing when occasion and opportunity join together
to compel change. While plowing effectively cleared roadways it blocked the sidewalks and side roads that pedestrians used to travel on.

10.19.14 at 7:01 PM

Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was super long)
so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly
enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything.
Do you have any helpful hints for novice blog writers?
I'd really appreciate it.