02.06.2007

Vinography Wins Best International Wine Blog Trophy From Le Salon Des Vins De Loire

I'm quite pleased and surprised to announce that Vinography has won the "Best International Wine Blog" trophy at what is being billed as the first international wine blog competition in the world. Sponsored by the Salon des Vins de Loire, an advocacy organization for WineBlogTrophy_1.jpgwinemakers in the Loire Valley of France which also puts on the large annual exposition of Loire wines, this juried competition announced its three awards today at a press conference in Angers, France on the floor of this year's exposition.

I had no idea that this competition was underway, but apparently journalist Philippe Lefèbvre and a jury of winemakers, journalists, and other wine industry professionals reviewed wine blogs from all over the world for several weeks before announcing these awards.

Domaine Sauvat, a producer in Côtes d'Auvergne, has won Best Blog by a Loire Valley Producer; Le blog d'Olif, written by Olivier Grosjean, a self described Hedonistic Terroirist of the Jurassic Period, has won Best French Wine Blog; and Vinography was chosen as the Best International Wine Blog.

I spent a few minutes very early this morning on Skype with the folks at Salon des Vins de Loire in Angers. I'm bemused to find out that apparently there an actual trophy for this award. I'll have to wait until June to find out what a wine blog trophy looks like, which is when the journalist who interviewed me this morning will be next passing through the Bay Area.

In case you read French, here's a link to the announcement. As always, thank you for your support. None of these folks would know about me if it weren't for the fact that you keep coming back here to read my ramblings.

02.06.07 at 9:26 AM

Many compliments to you, Alder!
Bravo!

Dr. Debs wrote:
02.06.07 at 10:32 AM

Kudos, Alder. And thanks for the link to the site, which I didn't yet know about.

Tim S wrote:
02.06.07 at 10:34 AM

Bravo, Alder, congratulations!

frank Haddad wrote:
02.06.07 at 10:48 AM

Congratulations.

Lizzy wrote:
02.06.07 at 12:43 PM

Congratulations... "you're simply the best!"

Lizzy

David wrote:
02.06.07 at 12:48 PM

Complimenti!

Elsbeth wrote:
02.06.07 at 1:51 PM

Great news! Congratulations!

el jefe wrote:
02.06.07 at 9:06 PM

I think you can be pretty sure the trophy won't have the figure of a bowler on top...

congrats!

02.06.07 at 9:10 PM

Yes, that's true. I'm hoping for a small figure sprawled over a barrel with a wineglass dangling from its limp hand.

wheeljac wrote:
02.06.07 at 9:20 PM

Any idea what other blogs were in contention? it would be fun to check out the competition ...

02.06.07 at 9:53 PM

Unfortunately the list was not made public. It was a juried competition and there was no nomination process or anything like that. I'd love to know as well.

Bertrand wrote:
02.07.07 at 12:32 AM

Congrats, Alder ! Your insightful and sensible writing has many followers here too, and if you come and visit, you'll be warmly welcomed...

Lisa Roskam wrote:
02.07.07 at 12:57 AM

Felicitations Alder! We "saw" you at the awards ceremony in Angers (of course you were a small box on a laptop screen).

I spoke with one of the jury members after the ceremony and I know that Tim Elliot's Winecast was one of the other international blogs that was widely liked by the jury members.

I will send you a couple of pictures of the ceremony when I get home.

Gemma wrote:
02.07.07 at 3:24 AM

Congratulations!

02.07.07 at 8:54 AM

Bravo, and congratulations

,-)

Emmanuel

Alder's mom wrote:
02.07.07 at 10:20 AM

Congtatulations Alder! Why doesn't it surprise me?

carlos wrote:
02.07.07 at 11:30 AM

congratulations from Roco&Wines

02.07.07 at 12:10 PM

Thank you all (including my Mom) for your congratulations and good wishes.

SobreVino wrote:
02.07.07 at 4:18 PM

Once again: congratulations.

SobreVino

Robert F. Sweeney, MD wrote:
02.12.07 at 4:09 PM

Alder,

Keep up the good work.

Bob

John Skupny wrote:
02.12.07 at 5:19 PM

I read about the competition when the brochures for the Salon were sent out some time ago!.... with no nominating process I kept my fingers crossed for you....
Maybe you should hold off and accept the award at the Salon next year! It is a very cool show.
I suspect it might be a little statue of Rablais!
Congrats Alder - well deserved

small_covershot_dropshadow.jpg A wine book like no other. Photographs, essays, and wine recommendations. Learn more.