08.30.2007

Good For a Glass and a Laugh

The wine world desperately needs more humor. I only wish I had the talents to provide it. At the very least, however, I can point folks to it when I find it. Today I was alerted to a gem of a piece by my fellow wine blogger Andy Barrow who runs the blog Spittoon.Biz. He pointed me to an episode of some British comedy sitcom I've never seen before called Black Books, which features two guys who run a small used book shop.

In this episode they get a chance to house sit for a friend with a wine cellar and then, well, hijinks ensue. Apart from the somewhat random opening sequence, it unfortunately takes them a while to get to the wine bit, so you either have to sit through the first 7 or 8 minutes of jokes, or you can fast forward. It's not exactly unpredictable, but it is very clever. Doesn't quite have the adolescent hilarity of the cork soakers, but it's close, especially with those British accents.

Enjoy.

Wino Bob wrote:
08.31.07 at 9:29 AM

Jimmy Fallon did something similar of SNL a few years back. I am not sure who copied whom.

08.31.07 at 10:23 AM

I actually liked the "art" bit too ;-). Reminds me a bit of Fawlty Towers. Thanks for the laugh!

CHATr Box wrote:
08.31.07 at 8:17 PM

It's a little crude but WineAss.com can be entertaining at times. Sure beats a lecture on Malolactic Fermentation!

CHATr Box wrote:
09.01.07 at 9:28 AM

There was also a pretty funny bit done on The Daily Show by Demitri Martin:

Just scroll to the bottom and click on "Trendspotting: Wine” to watch the video.

Joe wrote:
09.04.07 at 5:56 PM

I loved this "Chip Tasting" article from "The Onion"...
Cheers!

patch wrote:
09.28.14 at 2:45 AM

I visited several websites but the audio feature for audio songs existing at
this site is genuinely fabulous.

Vinography Unboxed: Week of September 21, 2014 The Essence of Wine is Ready to Buy! Vinography Images: Spring Carpet California Law and Wine: Ups and Downs From the Quiet Garden: The Wines of Pichler-Krutzler, Wachau, Austria Tallying the Damage from the Napa Quake Vinography Images: A Sea of Blue Vinography Unboxed: Week of September 14, 2014 The Taste of Something New: Introducing Solminer Wines Vinography Images: Swift Work