02.23.2008

New York Wine Expo & Tasting: March 7-8th, New York

NYLanding_logo.gifRegular readers know that I regularly post about large public wine events here on Vinography, which I believe are some of the best ways to educate one's palate and learn about great new wines. Unfortunately for many of my East Coast readers, most of the major wine events of this sort tend to take place on the West Coast. Strangely, while it is rife with store-based tastings, winemaker dinners, and private tastings, New York generally does not play host to large public tastings in quite the same way.

Until now.

Wine lovers that live in or near New York should definitely consider going to the first annual New York Wine Expo, which will take place the second weekend in March. This event includes all the regular components of an event of this kind: a large walk-around wine tasting, special wine education seminars, tidbits of food from various purveyors (though frankly this looks like the weakest part of the event), and an opportunity to spend time with winemakers in an informal session.

The primary reason to attend, however, is the wine. More than 170 different wine producers from all over the world are presenting their wines, including many from California, which tend to be more difficult to find in New York (at least relative to European wines).

1st Annual New York Wine Expo
Friday March 7th, 7:00 " 10:00 PM
Saturday, March 8, 2:00 " 6:00 PM
Jacob K. Javits Convention Center
655 West 34th Street
New York, NY 10001

Tickets are $75 on Friday, $85 on Saturday, and can be purchased in advance online. Ticket prices go up $10 after February 29th.

My usual tips for attending large public tastings apply:

1. Get a good night's rest beforehand.
2. Wear dark clothing and no perfume/cologne
3. Start with food in your stomach
4. Drink lots of water
5. SPIT !!

02.24.08 at 9:54 PM

Same folks that do the Boston Wine Expo? If so, I'd be wary; that's a waste of time, effort, and money.

02.24.08 at 10:26 PM

Uh oh. Looks like it. Wanna expand on your comments? If it's gonna suck, I don't mind you warning people off.

02.25.08 at 11:09 AM

I went to the Boston Wine Expo for about 10 years; when I first went it was a worthwhile affair, a chance to get exposed to a lot of people. There were lots of people, but it was relatively easy to get to any table you wanted and taste anything. Over the ten years it became extremely corporate, there were mobs of people, and you couldn't get to most of the tables, without elbowing your way through for fifteen or twenty minutes. It took me almost half an hour to get from my table to the men's room and back. Lots of drunks in the late afternoons. Lots of people asking for free bottles. My colleagues and I started skipping it in droves, and never went back.

Tish wrote:
02.26.08 at 6:11 PM

I agree with Steve. I have been to Boston several times and it seems to have degenerated as it got bigger. Massive crowds, routine wines, cavernous concrete setting. By contrast, I just got back from the South Beach Wine & Food Festival. It's pricey at about $200/day, and it was crowded, but the vibe was incredible and many producers seemed to be pouring the "pretty good" stuff.

Wink Lorch wrote:
03.02.08 at 5:59 PM

As an English wine writer visiting the USA, I happened to be in Washington DC with cousins this weekend and managed to get myself a press pass for the Washington event from the same people. I was so relieved that my cousin did not join me paying the $95. I was really surprised expecting - for the price - an upmarket event, which it really wasn't. The choice of wines, with some honourable exceptions (like some interesting producers at the Oregon wine board stand) were fairly mid-range wineries and there was a throng at each table with often dis-interested people serving the wines. By the end of the afternoon there were people much the worse for the wine (I thought I was back in London!). Also there were several non-wine stands that were irrelevant and obviously just there to fill space ('win a car' or Fidelity Investments for example). Adding insult to injury, the free glass was a poorly-shaped, rolled rim glass that looked cheap and nasty with non-wine sponsors logos all over it. And the food stands (including cooked food stands and a demonstration cooking theatre) were in the midst of wine stands so you could smell the food rather than the wines you wanted to taste.
I did meet some nice people though, especially at the Washington Wine Academy stand - education, education!
How sad ...

Hemingway Katz wrote:
03.06.08 at 7:10 AM

NYC has not had a wine event of this scope before and so I have been looking forward to it. 600 wines under one roof sounds like a delightful way to spend the day. I think that in NY there will not be food -- just wine. So no conflicting food aroma issues. Will let you know how it is. Cheers!

Grace wrote:
03.06.08 at 11:29 AM

I'm glad the Expo is finally coming to New York. I have friends in D.C. who've gone to it and told me about it. Plus, since its the first year, there probably won't be the crazy crowds like the other cities.

William wrote:
03.06.08 at 11:40 AM

A group of us in NYC all got tickets and can't wait to attend. It's about time NYC got an event like this. Sounds like a good time.

03.06.08 at 11:48 AM

Hmm. Call me cynical, but the fact that so many positive comments have just been posted one right after another makes me feel like someone at the Expo just told all it's employees to "go say nice things on that wine blog..."

NYC-Lacking wrote:
03.06.08 at 7:50 PM

Well, I have to say I am glad I decided NOT to go to the NYC Wine Fest. After reading the first few posts my suspicions were/are confirmed. I'll spend double and go to the Wine Spectator Tasting Event that will have some of the best wines in the world. I have been twice and its impossible w/o a press pass to get in early to taste everything but with careful panning you can get through a lot of good wines. I wrote an email to the event organizers for the NYC Fest asking for a list of the actual wineries instead of the distributors - needless to say they did not write me back still 3 weeks later. My suspicions derived from why are so many names of the distributors and importers listed as wine participants, rather than the actual wineries? I guess its all about the large corporations instead of the wineries for these things. I have been to a few of the wine events at Ft. Mason in SF and have to say you guys got it right out there! Out west you get a much better variety and quality of large tastings...Zin, Pinot, Cali Family...the list goes on and the wines are usually excellent and very UN-Yellow Tail like. This tasting seems like many of the wines will be your average grocery store wine $10. That's fine and maybe that's what they are targeting, but NO THANKS!