03.22.2009

For Your Next Wine Vacation....

Did I mention that I love the Internet? Where else, and how else, could we discover the ultimate wine lover's dream vacation: visiting the charming Dutch, eating fabulous cheese, drinking good wine, and going to sleep at night in a giant wine vat:

WijnvatenBuitenkantx2007Internet.jpg

I can't believe I missed the chance to check this out the last couple of times I was in the Netherlands. Apparently the Hotel de Vrouwe van Stavoren features guest rooms built inside 14,500 liter wine-casks! That's totally worth the 2-3 hour train ride from Amsterdam next time I'm there. I know I would definitely like to "slapen in een wijnvat."

Wijnva1.jpg

Apparently these are huge old wine barrels that they've imported from Switzerland (the Netherlands, alas, is not much of a winegrowing region).

But if the hotel had a decent wine list that you could order via room service, that might make for a very nice little weekend!

Thanks to the folks at BoingBoing for bringing this to the light of day.

03.23.09 at 9:06 AM

My friend Alfonso let me know that this is not the only such accomodation in the world: http://theblendblog.com/wordpress/?p=401

Randy Watson wrote:
03.23.09 at 9:12 AM

Looks pretty neat!

I will be in that part of the world later this year... I'll have to check it out!

Rob wrote:
03.23.09 at 12:58 PM

looks like a hobbit hole

03.23.09 at 1:19 PM

I was thinking Hobbit too, almost Bilbo Baggins like. Very quaint.

Arthur wrote:
03.23.09 at 2:00 PM

I'm sure it will be popular with Japanese tourists. Especially after the Japanese remake of 'Sideways' hits the screens.

D wrote:
03.23.09 at 7:07 PM

Compared to some Japanese hotels, these might actually be considered quite roomy!
I wonder if the wood holds the wine smell...

Dylan wrote:
03.24.09 at 8:03 AM

Something I found interesting about the scent of some barrels after fermentation is that they smell more like whiskey than wine. It's the combination of the alcohol mixed with the scent of oak familiar to anyone who has been near whiskey. Alder, if you ever do venture there, I hope you'll share the photos with us.

Carl wrote:
06.23.11 at 12:33 PM

This is a nice picture, sleeping in a wine barrel. I wonder how this will smell.

Tallying the Damage from the Napa Quake Vinography Images: A Sea of Blue Vinography Unboxed: Week of September 14, 2014 The Taste of Something New: Introducing Solminer Wines Vinography Images: Swift Work Social Media Answers the Question: Where Did Australian Wine Go Wrong Hourglass, Napa Valley: Current and Upcoming Releases Drought Problems? Just Have an Earthquake Vinography Images: Just One Vinography Unboxed: Week of September 1, 2014