01.27.2010

Get Paid to Travel the World, Tasting Wine

File this under things I always meant to do but have never gotten around to.... Every year an organization called the Geoffrey Roberts Trust picks several people to give about $5000 to so they can travel someplace in the world to eat, drink, and write about it, or do something that makes a positive difference in the culinary or beverage world.

Yes, you heard that right, you could get $5000 towards some fabulous culinary or wine adventure provided you had a good reason to go other than simply wanting to see how much Barolo you could drink before falling over.

Geoffrey Roberts was a lawyer-turned-wine-importer whose personality left him endeared to many, and whose passion for wine and food left few tables unoccupied or bottles untasted. The award set up in his honor after his untimely death at 46 is given each year to commemorate his life and his passions.

Applicants must simply be prepared to demonstrate that "by winning the travel bursary the winner is likely to make a positive different to their chosen field of food, drink and/or travel rather than simply advancing their own knowledge or career." Other than that, there are few criteria to win.

Past winners have included a baker interested in learning artisan techniques, a biochemist studying a particular kind of pineapple and the dishes made from it, a Master of Wine student studying indigenous grape varieties in Eastern Europe, a cider brewer interested in sharing techniques with brewers in other countries... the list goes on and on.

I highly encourage anyone who is truly passionate about doing something in the wine or food world (other than simply imbibing) to apply. Who knows, maybe I'll even get around to it myself this year.

See more at http://www.geoffreyrobertsaward.com/

Simona wrote:
01.28.10 at 6:32 AM

OT: I saw you will be one of the speakers at Vino2010: congratulations! I won't be able to attend, so I hope you will share here something about your speech.
In bocca al lupo!
Simona

laura wrote:
01.28.10 at 10:41 AM

This is interesting, thanks! Saw you speak at FoodBuzz last year seriously enjoy all the sparkling wines we tried...and I don't like wine as a rule. I'm the blogger who came from Alaska and got completely embarrassed when my friend told everyone how far I came. Anyway enjoyed your talk, thanks.

01.29.10 at 7:30 AM

The Geoffrey Roberts award has quite a high status in food and wine circles over here in England. There is much competition and the people assessing the entries are extremely strict. A few years ago I started putting together an application so I could write an in-depth analysis of Riesling grown all over the world. Sadly I was too insane at the time to really get my act together. Anyway, good of you to publicise this award, let us hope someone with a particularly thrusting idea wins this year.

Purg wrote:
01.29.10 at 11:00 AM

I second David's comment. Good glad to see something made of this award.

01.29.10 at 10:11 PM

It is an excellent award for those who feel they have something to add to our food and wine knowledge. My favourite recipient used the money to visit many cheese-makers and with the experience gained developed and started making the quite excellent Jersey Shield cheese. It is delicious.

Cheers,
David.

PS. By the way, I'm a lot less insane these days:)

Chris Robinson wrote:
01.31.10 at 9:51 PM

Do you think they would accept advancing the knowledge of the effects of the continued consumption of Barolo on one's liver? Any excuse to get the Alba!

Weston wrote:
02.04.10 at 10:09 AM

thanks for the linkg I signed up, filled out, then head the pass winner and realized I didn't have some crazy story to sell myself with hah So i don't see myself winning.

04.21.14 at 2:11 PM

Hi, I desire to subscribe for this web site to obtain latest updates, therefore where can i do
it please help.

04.21.14 at 4:38 PM

I do accept as true with all the concepts you've offered
in your post. They're really convincing and will definitely work.
Still, the posts are too quick for beginners. May you please prolong them a bit from next time?
Thanks for the post.

Domaine du Vieux Telegraphe, Chateauneuf-du-Pape: Current Releases Vinography Images: Rising Light Book Review: The Essential Scratch and Sniff Guide to Becoming a Wine Expert The Beauty of 2011 Burgundy: Highlights from La Paulee de San Francisco Seven Percent Solution Tasting: May 8, San Francisco Vinography Images: Autumn Cellar Vinography Images: Vines and Sky Are You a Red, Pink or a Purple Wine Stater? 2014 TAPAS Iberian Varieties Tasting: April 27, San Francisco Taste Washington Day One in Brief