02.03.2010

Italian Wine Week: Vino 2010

Vino2010logo.pngI'm in New York for the first time in a long while, taking a look at the Vino2010 conference, also known as Italian Wine Week. Mostly I'm here because I'll be speaking on a panel (tomorrow) Thursday morning entitled: "Virtual Vino, Millennials and Social Media DECANTED!" The panel is moderated by Anthony Dias Blue, and will have me, Doug Cook of AbleGrape.Com, Susannah Gold of Avvinare.Com, Susanna Crociani of Az. Ag. Crociani in Tuscany, Steve Raye of the Brand Action Team marketing agency, and possibly (unconfirmed) tweeting sommelier and wine educator Kevin Zraly.

The conference is making a big deal out of new media, and have flown a bunch of wine bloggers from all over the country (world?), given them press passes, and set them loose on the event. They've even hired their own official blogger for the event.

Our panel is going to be liveblogged by said blogger, and the panel will take questions from Twitter for anyone who wants to join in the fray.

Here are the details of how to participate:

Virtual Vino, Millennials and Social Media DECANTED!
Thursday, February 4th at 10AM Eastern Time
Ask questions using feed: @Vino2010

In addition to speaking on this panel, I'll also be looking forward to chances to taste a lot of Italian wine at what is billed as the largest Italian wine event outside of Italy. About 400 producers are here, with some ungodly number of wines, several hundred of which aren't available in the US yet. Several regions are particularly well represented, including Calabria (think: toe of the boot), which I don't have much experience with and am looking forward to learning more about.

I'll be posting about my experiences as I go along, provided that I can get WiFi everywhere I go -- for a trade show making a big deal of new media, there was a conspicuous absence of internet connectivity in the first seminar I attended today. Harumph!

More to come.

02.04.10 at 4:06 AM

This event sounds fantastic! I hope that Calabria shows you some winners.

02.04.10 at 8:59 PM

Very cool have fun! The best Italian wine I had in the past year is Vietti Masseria Barbaresco....absolutely lovely look for it:)

Adam wrote:
02.04.10 at 10:02 PM

Where's Alfonso Cevola in all of this?!? Alder, your contribution is well deserved, but it seems very wrong that a blogger and specialist who's company sells 1 out of every 12 bottles of Italian wine in the US is not playing a significant role in this event, whereas a guy (Dias Blue) who has railed against bloggers in his publication in the past is selected to be the moderator. Seems completely detached from reality from
my perspective.

02.05.10 at 6:22 AM

Adam,

Alfonso was originally slated to be moderator of this panel, but then was replaced by Andy at the direction of the Italian Trade Commission.

The session ended up being very good.

@EpicuriousChic wrote:
02.05.10 at 10:25 AM

hi alder -
i just wanted to let you know i attended the seminar on SMMktg for wine, and as a millenial selling and educating wine to millenials et al, i believe this is an incredibly way to spread information. as wine professionals, we must ensure that information that is shared is accurate, honest and is transmitted in a passionate manner. it is the only way people will be receptive to opening themselves up to something new, esp. when looking at millenials. thx for the seminar and all of your work. social media, here i come!

Wick wrote:
02.06.10 at 6:56 AM

“The session ended up being very good.”
It did end up being very good, but regardless, ADB should not have been there. His first words “I’m a dinosaur” pretty much said it all.
I applaud you for calling him out on his comments regarding wine bloggers, and yet he continued even then to disparage Tyler (though he can’t quite seem to actually say who it is he refers to, can he?). He said on the panel that Tyler “takes advertising and junkets” with the insinuation that Tyler has no ethics. I am willing to bet it is a flat out lie that Tyler has ever taken a trip on anyone's dime without complete disclosure, which was the whole point of Dr Vino's report on Parker that prompted ADB's comments.
And how absurdly ironic that ADB’s final words at the panel were to plug his own blog……

Hope you got out before the snow.

Ed Thralls wrote:
02.06.10 at 12:49 PM

I was going to ask how the SM panel with ADB went, but I see the comments from Wick that some of the concerns many of us had about him being on the panel in the first were possibly warranted.

On the other hand, I know there were other capable folks on the panel, so I am interested in hearing more about how it went.

02.07.10 at 9:09 AM

I was in the audience and think everyone did a fine job. I found the presentation by Doug Cook to be of special interest to me. That said, there were a lot of smart people in the room, so plenty of learning opportunities for those who were receptive.

the complete seminar for folks who want to see it is here

Tish wrote:
02.08.10 at 6:12 PM

Great that they filmed and archived that panel. Social media is bound to be panel fodder for the forseeable future, as everyone is still figuring it out. I found it amazing that ADB continued to bash Tyler Colman (drvino.com); for the record, Tyler not only ripped ADB a new one over his blogger bashing this summer, but also exposed ADB's journalistically laughable practice of selling "exposure" packages in his widely ignored Tasting Panel magazine. Link: http://www.drvino.com/2009/07/23/anthony-dias-blue-bloggers-tasting-panel-exposure-package/

Speaking of transparency, glad to see you made note of the extra effort (and expense) made by vino2010 to bring press and bloggers to the conference. It will be interesting to see how many of these writers mention this context when they post/publish their coverage. It was not so long ago that the wine blogosphere went batshit over a program by which a group of bloggers were given samples of Rockaway, a brand-new high-end Sonoma Cab made by Rodney Strong. The issue of transparency reared its head mightily then; in this case, the actual lavishing was much greater than a $75 Cab, so should we not expect bloggers to be even more sensitive in this instance?