08.01.2011

The Global Allure of Pinot Noir

kinshasa.jpgAs some of you know, I just got back from the International Pinot Noir Celebration in Oregon's Willamette Valley. I'm still editing my notes from that, with more posts to come, but I wanted to share just a small moment from the event that I thought was quite telling of both the powerful community that IPNC manages to create, as well as the allure that the Pinot Noir grape has for wine lovers.

The evening of the grand dinner, where 800 people sit out underneath the fading light of the sunset and are served a four course dinner while sommeliers wander to and fro bearing bottles of wine, I and my wife found ourselves seated opposite two very remarkable women.

They were sisters, and were attending IPNC for the first time. One of them was from Belgium, the other, from Kinshasa, in the Republic of Congo (where both grew up).

Yes, you read that right, a woman flew from Sub-Saharan Africa to a tiny town in Oregon to drink some Pinot Noir and eat good food for the weekend. She wasn't just originally from the Congo, she came from the Congo to drink some Pinot, and was flying back when she was done.

I nearly dropped my wine glass when I heard this.

Sadly, my spoken French was much worse than their limited English, so I wasn't able to have much of a conversation with the sisters, but I certainly tried. They explained that they were wine lovers, and had heard about this event from the younger sister's son, who was also a wine lover, and who was studying in New York.

I don't know about you, but when I hear the word Kinshasa, I don't normally think of it exactly as a haven for wine lovers. Of course, it turns out that my impressions are colored by the fact that pretty much all we hear about it has to do with civil war, strife, and poverty.

As one of the largest cities in Sub-Saharan Africa, and the third largest city in the whole continent (current population roughly 10 million according to Wikipedia), Kinshasa has a lot in common with many of the developing world's largest metropolises. Along with grinding poverty and incredibly high rates of crime (which we hear a lot about) it has a middle and upper class, and the various cultural and infrastructure amenities that wealthier citizens might require.

As a francophone nation (though French is not the native language, it is the de facto language of government and commerce), those who can afford it tend to have European tastes, and this extends to wine, which the sisters told me was relatively easy to get ahold of in various wine stores throughout the city. Apparently, and for obvious reasons, European wines, especially French were the dominant fare, while smaller quantities of wines from other countries, yes, even America, were on offer.

I was quite impressed by all of this, and simply in wonderment of how small the world can be, and how strong a bond that wine can forge among friends and strangers.

And as for how the sisters were enjoying their time in Oregon? They spent the evening laughing and drinking, just like the rest of us, but perhaps with a slightly brighter glint in their eyes.

Chuck Hayward wrote:
08.02.11 at 10:02 AM

A simple yet moving post. It could be titled "The Global Allure of Wine," as almost any grape brings disparate people together just like it did that night in Oregon. After all the rancor, posturing and vitriol that populates the blogosphere, it is important to realize what this is all about. Many thanks for bringing that story to us.

Miquel wrote:
08.02.11 at 10:11 AM

The wine culture in Congo was a fixture from Mobutu's days who had massive wine cellars, especially in his palace, Gbadolite. While a remnant of the horrid Colonial days from the Belgians, there has been a high respect for wine in DR Congo, albeit, it's often as more of a status symbol.

It takes a great deal to keep it from spoiling in that climate, but people manage and it seems that someone is always bringing in bottles given that all the flights from Europe come from Brussels or Paris. On the Parisian Air France flights it's amusing to watch everyone quaffing as much champagne as they can prior to landing.

Kinshasa is a wild town, although I would more recommend the local beer there as it goes better with the food and climate.

Kimberly Charles wrote:
08.02.11 at 12:38 PM

Le monde du vin, et le monde est petit! Merci pour cette petite histoire charmante!

Christopher Noel Robinson wrote:
08.08.11 at 12:12 AM

Wine is everywhere. You would be surprised to see how much Mateus rose and Mondavi wines I saw in Iraq.

10.29.14 at 11:32 PM

What's up everyone, it's my first pay a quick visit at this website, and
post is in fact fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these types of posts.

10.29.14 at 11:36 PM

It's truly a nice and helpful piece of information. I am
glad that you just shared this useful info with us. Please stay us informed like this.
Thank you for sharing.

10.29.14 at 11:57 PM

May I simply just say what a comfort to find a person that truly knows what they are discussing on the web.

You certainly realize how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
More people must read this and understand this side of the
story. It's surprising you aren't more popular because you surely possess the
gift.

10.30.14 at 12:29 AM

Hello, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.

When I look at your blog in Opera, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer,
it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads
up! Other then that, excellent blog!

Bette wrote:
10.30.14 at 12:46 AM

Cancer Be certain you are getting enough sleep and learning much more about what healthy eating.
Capricorn You what to attain certain lengthy phrase objectives, but might realize you
are your personal worst enemy.

od?nie?anie wrote:
10.30.14 at 5:29 AM

Having read this I believed it was rather informative.
I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put this information together.
I once again find myself spending a significant amount of
time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it!

??????????? wrote:
10.30.14 at 5:48 AM

If some one wants expert view regarding blogging afterward i
advise him/her to visit this weblog, Keep up the
pleasant job.

www wrote:
10.30.14 at 9:02 AM

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this post
plus the rest of the website is very good.

10.30.14 at 1:35 PM

An interesting discussion is definitely worth comment. I do think that you should write more about this subject matter, it might not be
a taboo matter but generally folks don't talk about such issues.
To the next! Kind regards!!

Tony Stark, also known as Iron Man, has a rich history that is a big part of the Marvel comic book universe.

Celebrities such as big movie stars like 'Tom Cruise', 'Brad Pitt', 'Nicholas Cage'
or 'Megan Fox' have rose up to such high standards that they are considered
to be fashion symbols. She does some checking, and has some
trouble finding out exactly where Esther came from.

Hi just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren't loading properly.
I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue.

I've tried it in two different internet browsers
and both show the same outcome.

10.30.14 at 4:42 PM

I like what you guys are usually up too. This sort of clever work and coverage!
Keep up the fantastic works guys I've included
you guys to my personal blogroll.

???? ???? ????? ???? ???? ???? ???? ????? ????
???? ???? ???? ????? ????? ????
???? ??????? ?????? ????? ??????? ???? ??????? ?????? ??????? ??????? ???? ???? ????? ???? ????
???? ????? ????? ???? ???? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ????
???? ???? ????? ????? ???? ???? ??? ??????
?????? ???? ????? ???? ??????? ?????? ????? ??????? ???? ????? ????? ????
???? ??????? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ????
????? ????? ???? ???? ?????? ????
???? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ????
???? ???? ????? ???? ???? ???? ????? ???? ???? ????? ???? ??????? ??? ???????? ???????
????? ???? ??????? ?????? ????? ??????? ???? ???? ????? ???? ????? ???? ???????
???? ?????? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ???? ???? ??????? ??????
????? ???????
???? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ???? ???? ???? ????? ???? ????
???? ???? ?????? ???? ???? ????? ???? ??????? ???? ????? ??????? ???? ???? ????? ???? ???? ???? ???? ????? ??? ???? ???? ??????? ?????? ????? ???? ???? ????? ?????? ????
???? ??????? ?????? ?????
??????? ???? ???? ????? ????? ???? ???? ?????
????? ???? ???? ???? ????? ????? ???? ???? ???? ????? ????
???? ???? ????? ????? ???? ???? ???? ????? ????? ???? ???? ????? ??? ????
???? ??? ?????? ?????? ???? ???? ???? ??? ??? ???? ???? ??????? ???? ?????? ???????
???? ????? ???? ???? ????
??????? ?????? ???????? ??????? ???? ???? ???? ???? ?????? ???? ????? ????
??????? ??????? ??????? ???? ??????? ???? ?????
???? ??????? ???? ?????? ??????? ???? ???? ????? ????? ???? ???? ??????? ??????? ??????? ????
????? ????? ???? ???? ??????? ??????? ???????
??????? ???? ?? ?????? ???? ????? ??? ???????? ???? ???? ??????? ???
???????? ???????
???? ????? ??? ???? ???? ????? ??? ???? ??????????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ???? ??????? ??????? ??????? ???? ???? ???? ???? ?????? ???? ????? ????? ??????? ????
?????? ?????? ???? ???? ???? ?????
?????? ?????? ????
???? ???? ????? ???? ???? ???? ???? ????? ??? ???? ???? ???? ?????? ?????? ???? ???? ????? ???? ???? ???? ????? ??? ???? ????
???? ????? ????? ???? ???? ???? ????? ??? ???? ???? ??????? ???? ???????? ??????
???????
???? ????? ???? ???? ???? ???? ????? ??? ???? ???? ???? ??? ???? ???? ???? ????? ?????
???? ????? ???? ??????? ??? ???????? ??????? ????
???? ????? ????? ???? ???? ???? ????? ???? ???? ????? ??? ????
???? ???? ?????? ?????
?????? ???? ???? ???? ????? ?????? ?????? ???? ???? ???? ????? ??????
???? ???? ????? ????? ???? ????? ???? ??????? ?????? ?????? ??????? ????
???? ??? ?????? ???? ???? ????? ??? ????
???? ???? ??? ?????? ????
???? ???? ????? ????? ???? ?????
???? ??????? ???? ?????? ??????? ???? ??????? ??????? ??????? ???? ???
???? ???? ???? ????? ????? ????
???? ???? ????? ????? ???? ???? ????? ??? ???? ????? ???? ??????? ??????
?????? ???????
???? ????? ???? ???? ????? ????
??????? ?????? ????? ??????? ???? ???? ????? ??? ???? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ????
???? ????? ?????? ?????? ???? ???? ????? ??? ???? ????
???? ????? ???? ???? ????? ????? ???????
????? ???? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ???? ???? ????? ????? ???? ???? ????? ???? ???? ???? ????? ???? ???? ??????? ???? ?????? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ???? ???? ????? ?????
???? ???? ????? ???? ????
???? ???? ????? ?????? ???? ???? ?????? ?????? ???? ???? ??????? ??????? ???????
???? ????? ?????? ???? ???? ????? ????? ???? ???? ??? ???? ???? ????? ???? ??????? ?????? ?????? ???? ???? ????? ????? ????
???? ??????? ?????? ??????
?????? ???? ???? ????? ?????
???? ???? ?????? ????? ?????? ???? ???? ???? ????? ???? ???? ???? ???????
?????? ?????? ?????? ???? ????
?????? ????? ???? ????? ???? ??????? ??? ???????? ???????
???? ?? ?????? ????

10.30.14 at 5:26 PM

Hi, i think that i noticed you visited my website thus i
got here to go back the favor?.I'm trying to in finding things to improve my site!I assume its adequate to make use
of a few of your ideas!!

10.30.14 at 7:19 PM

Ahaa, its pleasant discussion on the topic of this post here at this web site, I have
read all that, so at this time me also commenting at this
place.

10.30.14 at 8:58 PM

That is a good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
Brief but very precise information… Many thanks for sharing
this one. A must read post!

10.30.14 at 9:04 PM

I need to to thank you for this wonderful read!!

I definitely loved every bit of it. I have you bookmarked to check out
new things you post…

???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ????? ????? ???????
??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ????? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ???
???? ??????? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ???????
???? ??? ???? ??????? ????
????? ????? ??????? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ????
????? ????? ??????? ???? ?????? ????? ??????? ???? ??? ????
??????? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ????? ????? ???????
???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ????? ???
??????? ???? ?? ?????? ??????? ????
????? ????? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ???? ???
???? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ???????
???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ????? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ???
??? ???????
???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ????? ??????? ????
??? ???? ??????? ???? ??? ?????? ??????
??????? ???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ?? ?????? ???????
???? ?????? ????? ??????? ????
??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ????
??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ????? ????? ????? ???????
???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ????? ????? ???????
???? ?????? ????? ???????
??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ????? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ???
???? ??????? ???? ????? ????? ???????
???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ????? ????? ???????
???? ??? ??? ??????? ????? ????? ????? ???????
???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ?? ?????? ??????? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ????? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ?????? ?????
???????
???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ????? ?????
??????? ???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ??? ??? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???
?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ??????
????? ??????? ???? ????? ???????
???? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ????? ????? ???????
???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ?????? ????? ??????? ???? ????? ??????? ???? ????? ??????? ???? ?? ?????? ???????
???? ??? ???? ???????
???? ?? ?????? ??????? ???? ????? ????? ??????? ????? ????? ?????
??????? ????? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ???
???? ??????? ????? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ????? ??? ???????
???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ??? ??????
?????? ??????? ????? ??? ?????? ?????? ???????
???? ?? ?????? ??????? ???? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ????
??? ???? ???????
???? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ?????? ?????
??????? ???? ??? ??? ??????? ???? ???
?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ?????? ????? ??????? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ??? ????
???????
???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ?? ?????? ??????? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ???
???? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ????? ??? ???????
???? ????? ????? ??????? ????
????? ????? ??????? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ????? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ????? ?????
??????? ???? ??? ?????? ?????? ??????? ????
?????? ????? ???????
???? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ??? ??? ??????? ???? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ????? ??????? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ???? ????? ??????? ???? ??? ??? ??????? ???? ??? ??? ???????

10.30.14 at 10:24 PM

I'm amazed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that's equally educative and amusing,
and without a doubt, you've hit the nail on the head.
The problem is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently
about. Now i'm very happy I stumbled across this during my
hunt for something regarding this.