03.20.2013

Wine and Food Matching, But Not In Store

wine_grocery.jpgTo much of the civilised world, it seems most natural. You walk into your local grocery store or supermarket and walk out with the ingredients for your dinner and a wine to drink with it. This is, after all, the entire point of something called a supermarket - namely that a single, self-service destination should provide for all your needs.

Yet despite the fact that we invented the concept, here in America roughly 29% of the country's population, across 17 states, cannot buy a steak and a bottle of wine to go with it from the same store.

When I can bring myself to contemplate this issue at all, I tend to spend my time vacillating between righteous outrage and utter despair. How is it possible that in the most rabidly capitalist country on earth, where consumer choice has beaten out common sense for decades (monster SUVs, 4000-calorie fast-food meals, Botox - need I go on?), we prevent almost one in three Americans from spending their money when and where they please?

Continue reading this article on JancisRobinson.Com.

This article is my monthly column at JancisRobinson.Com, Alder on America, and is available only to subscribers of her web site. If you're not familiar with the site, I urge you to give it a try. It's only £6.99 a month or £69 per year ($11/mo or $109 a year for you Americans) and well worth the cost, especially considering you basically get free, searchable access to the Oxford Companion to Wine ($65) and the World Atlas of Wine ($50) as part of the subscription costs. Click here to sign up.

Grocery store image courtesy of Rick, via Flickr.

Jörgen wrote:
03.20.13 at 11:28 PM

:-) i think you answered your own question!?

Anonymous wrote:
03.23.13 at 6:30 AM

Did they abolish the three-tier system overnight? Oh, no wait... It is delusional to think that we live in a "rapidly capitalist country." Alcohol regulation aside, their are way too many government-imposed regulations that prevent the US from following the capitalist model.

dale record wrote:
03.25.13 at 8:28 AM

While it may seem an injustice not to have wine in grocery stores in certain states, how do you justify ioening it up to these behemoths who have huge amounts of cash and will put thousandsf stores currently operating, as well as many thousands more out of jobs? These big stores will not hire any more employees, nor offer better prices. My wife was just in Florida and comparing the grocery sytore prices to ours and we were substantially lower.if you are willing to have huge national brands to choose from, no help or expertise, higher prices and put small business people out of business, go for it!!

03.25.13 at 8:56 AM

Dale,

35 states in this country have proved that your fears are almost entirely unfounded. For decades.

Alder

John Skupny wrote:
03.25.13 at 10:07 AM

Maybe I am getting cranky in my old age but it does seem we have something out of balance in the United States. I mean in many states it is easier to buy an assault weapon with a high capacity magazine than a bottle of wine. It is, for sure, easier to transport said assault weapon across state lines and about equal requirements for transporting each on airplanes.. now don't get me started about those corkscrews, infringement,and the second amendment.

03.25.13 at 10:27 AM

John,

Good news for you: Starting April 3rd, I believe, you can now take corkscrews on planes again, provided the blade is less than 2.75 cm in length, which should cover all but the most murderous of corkscrews.

As for the rest, you're getting an amen from this choir.

Alder

Morey wrote:
03.27.13 at 2:09 PM

I agree, wine should be available wherever food is sold. It is much more convenient than having to go to a separate package store. Since cigarettes are available almost everywhere I don't understand why the restrictions on wine.

10.24.14 at 9:01 AM

Do you want to take a video of someone without being too obvious.
All proceeds will be donated to the Humane Society of N. While you may count on Mother Nature to have lots
of wood to stoke your campfire, you may come across only wet
wood that won't burn. For going online and searching for
such establishments would only end up giving you options galore
and eventually leave you in a fix while you try and
decide on a tutoring establishment which would best suit the requirements of
your child. Good board games can even draw in observers, those non-participants that gather along the fringe.

10.24.14 at 10:52 AM

Great site. Lots of helpful info here. I am sending it to some pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.

And certainly, thank you to your effort!

Highly energetic post, I loved that a lot. Will there be a part 2?

test wrote:
10.24.14 at 3:23 PM

Hello! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but
after checking through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
Anyways, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back
often!

Judson wrote:
10.24.14 at 3:26 PM

"Sometimes giving simply your schedule can definitely generate someone else smile," based on the website.
The first type of promotional strategy which will be examined is internet search engine advertising.

This could be the best online online marketing affiliate network around the net.

10.24.14 at 3:53 PM

I am truly happy to read this web site posts which carries plenty of valuable facts,
thanks for providing these data.

10.24.14 at 6:54 PM

Helpful information. Lucky me I found your site accidentally, and I'm surprised why this coincidence did not happened in advance!
I bookmarked it.

10.24.14 at 7:16 PM

The firms need to hire sensible and professional writers to generate the apt
content and articles. The diagnostic program GENERIC is designed for the legislation based diagnostics, specially
targeted for emission related fault codes. So be sure to check your website
functionality, like plugins, rotating banners,
comments, and your Admin login each time you make a change with.