08.21.2013

From Blogger to Winemaker: The Wines of Two Shepherds

william_allen_sortingGB.jpegThe longer I write about wine, the more roads to passion I discover. It was only a matter of time, then, before the ranks of successful winemakers became populated with wine bloggers. William Allen is one of several people I know of whose passion for wine led them first to blog about it, and then more recently to make it. Such a journey is not remarkable on its own -- more than a few wine writers have decided to try their hands at making the stuff they've spun yarns about for years. The fact that Allen happens to have been a blogger rather than a professional wine writer is really incidental to the whole story, which like so many, is simply about someone falling head over heels in love with the grape. The story is worth telling, though, because the wines are actually good.

"I started out on the typical, horrible path of drinking lousy wine that I thought was good," laughs Allen. "My wine of choice right out of college was Sutter Home White Zinfandel. But then I started dating a girl that was a little older that was into wine, and she said, basically 'There's no way you're drinking this shit' and turned me on to the Bordeaux grape varieties."

Allen was born in Bermuda, and after high school, attended Auburn University where he says he "didn't really study anything of value." He got degrees in Political Science and Sociology with a minor in Statistics. The numbers work got him into computing and he did a year of graduate school in Computer Science before getting recruited by AT&T into a young executive program that set him on a career path in technology sales.

"I was working with AT&T when I made my first trip to Napa," recalls Allen, "and I completely fell in love with wine country. I went down the path of spending too many years buying big Napa Cabernet."

In 1999, after a few years of stocking his cellar with big reds, Allen got a job working for a start-up based, improbably, in Petaluma, and got his first exposure to the "other" California wine country.

"I completely fell in love with the Russian River Valley when I discovered their Pinots," says Allen. "My palate was tired of big California red wines, and I had been dabbling a little in Pinot Noirs but hadn't really dived in deep. My turning point was tasting so many wines that were delivering complexity through subtlety and nuance, not through in-your-face stuff."

It was around this time that Allen began his career as a garage beer maker, and like many fermentation geeks, it was only a matter of time before he moved on to wine. His start as a winemaker was literally right out of the pages of the home winemaker's catalog.

"For a few years, I was buying frozen must from those home winemaker services," chuckles Allen, "but then I eventually graduated to real grapes. Sangiovese, Trousseau Gris, Chardonnay, Viognier -- I was all over the map."

Allen moved around a lot, as high-tech salespeople are wont to do, living in Colorado, Mexico ("I had to come back because I couldn't get decent wine"), Texas, and California. In the process he racked up two million flight miles in between rackings, so to speak.

In 2008, Allen's friends had started to consider him their local wine nut, and were encouraging him to start a blog. Around that time, he moved again for the last time to Sonoma County, and thought to himself, "why not?" Simple Hedonisms was born.

By this point, Allen was spending most of his pocket money on wine. "I was really buying a ridiculous amount of wine," he says. "but I think of it as a process of building a database in my head, a database that would eventually allow me to answer the question of what kind of wine would I make if I were going to make one? Eventually a pattern emerged."

In addition to starting his blog (and ensuring that he stayed in the good graces of the folks in charge at his day job) Allen began to volunteer at wineries during harvests to do what he describes as "total immersion." He also went to his first Hospice du Rhone event, and everything seemed to come together.

"The Rhone represents the most fascinating, the broadest, and most diverse wine region for me," says Allen, who has decided to make the region's grape varieties his focus as a winemaker.

But it wasn't a Rhone variety that finally tipped him over the edge into full fledged winemaking, it was a Sangiovese. Specifically one of the last lots of Sangiovese that he had managed to cobble together in his garage.

"Alan Baker [another journalist turned winemaker] liked my Sangiovese and asked me 'How the hell did you make this in your garage?' and I said, 'This is it, damn it, I'm just going to do it.'"

By this time Allen had made connections near and far in California wine, and in 2010, after setting his sights on making a Grenache Blanc, he was hooked up with some fruit by none other than the original Rhone Ranger himself, Randall Grahm of Bonny Doon Vineyard. Allen rented himself some space in a winery (whose owner adamantly refused to allow commercial yeasts in the building) and gave it his best shot.

"I was really pleased with it," remembers Allen, "and people said you should start a label and sell this stuff."

Easier said than done, especially for a guy who works 40-60 hours a week as a technology sales executive, but at 48, Allen seems to have found reserves of energy that would make someone ten years younger jealous.

"Everything was bottled before I got it all set," says Allen. "I completed the paperwork and got approved in November of 2011, and was able to release my 2010 vintage for sale." Two Shepherds Vineyards was born, and before he knew it, the wine sold. All 175 cases of it. The Girl and the Fig in Sonoma picked it up by the glass, and Allen had enough friends and followers of the blog to make selling the wine relatively easy.

Allen bottled 500 cases of the 2011 vintage, and will bottle 650 cases of the 2012 vintage. That's a lot of wine for someone who still has a day job.

How does he do it?

"I have no life," he sighs. "I feel sometimes like I'm not going to survive to fifty. I cover a six-state territory in my day job, but I'm completely in love with the insanity. Other than writing, I've never felt like I had a true artistic expression of myself. Without trying to sound egotistical, I think I've found that creative outlet. I've taken a class here and there, but I'm not a trained winemaker. Yet the process comes naturally to me."

"I remember the days when I just used to drink the stuff," laughs Allen. "I could live a pretty cushy lifestyle if I abandoned all this stuff, but I'm completely in love. I wish I had two more lifetimes. I'm sick of bad California Cabernet Franc. I want to make a Grüner Veltliner. Did I say two more lifetimes? I wish I had five more lifetimes. If I had unlimited money I'd go south and do two harvests a year. I'm compelled to learn as much as I can, as fast as I can. People say, 'You're insane to make 9 different varieties in 25 case lots, what is wrong with you?' but I can't help myself."

Allen claims, with credible earnestness, that he has no master plan, and that he's just following his gut for a wild ride. I ask him what his pocketbook thinks of that and he laughs.

"Break even? No, no, no, no, not even close. The production costs are insane. I spent nearly $4000 just for the labels for the bottles this year. Nothing scales down in this industry. I don't anticipate being able to quit my day job for some years now. But even if I was profitable, everything would be reinvested back into the winery anyway."

Allen now shepherds a jewel box of small wine lots to completion each year. Most are barrel fermented in neutral oak barrels with native yeasts, go through the full secondary malolactic fermentation, and age on their lees in primarily neutral oak barrels. He experiments a bit with some wines on the fringes (such as the skin fermented "Centime" below), while keeping Grenache Blanc at the center of his focus. He'll be doing a rosé and a Grenache Gris in the future.

And the blog? It has largely fallen by the wayside. "I would like to still occasionally write about wines," says Allen with more than a small amount of chagrin, "but I'm still struggling to find the time to do anything with it."

If it's any measure of his focus these days, he's considering hiring someone to write the blog for him. And while I enjoyed reading his blog when that was his main outlet, with a glass of Grenache Blanc in my hand, I'm quite happy with where he's chosen to place his energies these days. If you don't know the wines of Two Shepherds, they're ones to keep you're eye on.

Full disclosure: I received the wines below as press samples.

TASTING NOTES:

2012 Two Shepherds "Saarloos Vineyard" Grenache Blanc, Santa Ynez Valley, Santa Barbara, California
Palest greenish gold in the glass, this wine smells of unripe apples and crabapples. In the mouth, crisp crabapple, unripe pear and unripe apple flavors have a nice sourness to them mixed with a nice melon rind note that lingers through the finish. Nicely textured, with a hint of weight on the palate, and good acidity to keep the wine crisp. 13.4% alcohol. Score: between 8.5 and 9. Cost: $25. click to buy.

2011 Two Shepherds "Saarloos Vineyard" Grenache Blanc, Santa Ynez Valley, Santa Barbara County, California
Pale gold in the glass, this wine smells of wet stones and faint citrus zest. In the mouth the wine has a nice silky texture and a very nice mineral backbone, off of which hang flavors of apple, citrus, and a tinge of floral and herbal character that lingers through the finish. Pleasant and savory. 13.8% alcohol. Score: around 9. Cost: $25. click to buy.

2011 Two Shepherds "Pastorale Blanc" White Blend, Russian River Valley, Sonoma, California
Pale gold in color, this wine smells of apricots, lemon curd, and wet sawdust. In the mouth the wine has a wonderfully rich texture and juicy flavors of unripe apricot and peach which morph to a distinct quince/membrillo quality shot through with citrus on the finish. A compelling wine with real personality that is a pleasure to drink. It is a blend of Roussanne, Marsanne, Viognier, and Grenache Blanc. 13.8% alcohol. Score: around 9. Cost: $25. click to buy.

2011 Two Shepherds "Centime - Saralee's Vineyard" White Blend, Russian River Valley, Sonoma, California
Dark gold with a hint of orange, this wine smells of wet leaves and dried citrus rind. In the mouth, the wine has a dried citrus and dried herb quality with a hint of sharp bitterness that lingers in the finish. A blend of Roussanne and Marsanne fermented on their skins with a small bit of Grenache Blanc blended in. 13.8% alcohol. Score: around 8.5. Cost: $30.

2011 Two Shepherds "Saralee's Vineyard" Grenache, Russian River Valley, Sonoma, California
Light ruby in color, this wine smells of strawberry jam and cedar. In the mouth, wonderfully bright flavors of strawberry and cedar have a slight medicinal edge to them that adds complexity to the wine. That herbal note lingers with woody tones through the finish. Good acidity. 13.9% alcohol. Score: around 9. Cost: $35. click to buy.

2011 Two Shepherds "Saralee's Vineyard" Syrah, Russian River Valley, Sonoma, California
Light garnet in the glass, this wine smells of blackberry and wet earth. In the mouth, flavors of green wood blackberry and a hint of cassis have a tartness to them and a stoniness that is quite interesting. Restrained and taut, with fine grained subtle tannins. 13.5% alcohol. Score: between 8.5 and 9. Cost: $35. click to buy.

ts_whites_2011.jpg

jeff l wrote:
08.22.13 at 6:14 PM

great piece, alder. i would have loved to have written that profile, but you wrote it better than i would have.

Chris Welch wrote:
08.25.13 at 10:56 PM

I tasted these at Rhone Rangers last year. The Santa Ynez whites were stunning. And I'm kind of a tough critic.

Mark wrote:
09.12.13 at 4:05 PM

Hey Alder-Glad to see William getting some more press, it's well deserved. That Grenache has become a staple in our house, in fact one of the few lighter wines that I can get my wife to consent to opening consistently. Anyway, he's a good guy which doesn't hurt and I hope more consumers continue to find his wine.

11.21.14 at 1:45 PM

I have read so many articles concerning the blogger lovers
however this post is truly a pleasant paragraph, keep it up.

Melodee wrote:
11.21.14 at 4:05 PM

My brother recommended I might like this blog.
He was entirely right. This post truly made my day.
You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this info!

Thanks!

Claribel wrote:
11.21.14 at 5:30 PM

If s?me one desires to be updated with newest technol?ges after that he must be paay a visit thiis s?ite aand be upp to date daily.

fun88 wrote:
11.21.14 at 6:28 PM

Thanks to my father whoo told me onn the topic of this
website, this web site is actually remarkable.

11.22.14 at 3:28 AM

Thanks for another informative blog. Where else may I am
getting that kind of info written in such an ideal method?
I've a project that I'm simply now operating on, and I've been on the
glance out for such info.

Madelaine wrote:
11.22.14 at 5:22 AM

Although there was a later claim to the Gwynedd throne (through Owain Glyndwr in the 15th century), and there is an existing 'successor' who makespublic claim to his title, the Princes of Gwynedd as a judgment power are, sadly, long gone.

11.22.14 at 7:55 AM

I really love your website.. Great colors & theme.

Did you develop this website yourself? Please reply back as I'm planning to
create my very own site and would like to learn where you got this from or just what
the theme is named. Cheers!

11.22.14 at 9:53 AM

For latest information you have to pay a visit web and on web I found this web site
as a most excellent site for newest updates.

ugz comcast wrote:
11.22.14 at 1:14 PM

Its such as you learn my mind! You appear to grasp a lot approximately this, such as
you wrote the e-book in it or something. I think that you just could do with a few
% to pressure the message house a little bit, however instead of that, that
is great blog. An excellent read. I will definitely be back.

Aaliyah wrote:
11.22.14 at 1:28 PM

Appreciate this post. Let me try it out.

Mattie wrote:
11.22.14 at 10:12 PM

El presidente del Conjunto Santander, E. Botn, muri ayer por la noche a los setenta
y nueve aos, tras sufrir un infarto en su domicilio de la capital espaola.

Aguardamos este articulo te asista a crear conciencia y a manejar mejor tus finanzas.

11.22.14 at 11:27 PM

I modi pi sicuri per i metodi per l'allungamento del pene sono naturali.

11.23.14 at 12:02 AM

Its layout enables for carrying a lot of components like snow footwear, a wind breaker or
other warmer jackets and has a neat fleece lined goggle pocket which stops the
goggle from fogging up. The fleece shields the lens from
scratches primarily for the duration of tumbles and falls.
It also has a helmet pocket which would make carrying the
helmet about fairly inconvenience free.

I observed these truffles awful, I allow them stand for
4hrs it did not agency up correctly. I place them in the fridge for 2hrs they firmed up marginally,
but not plenty of to roll. I put them in the freezer till the subsequent working
day. For the dough: in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk
attachment, whisk the egg yolks, complete egg,
sugar, butter, and buttermilk. Add about two cups of the flour alongside with the yeast and salt whisk until finally moistened and
mixed. Clear away the whisk attachment and replace with a dough hook.

Leather-based skirts are as popular as they have at any
time been. And the purpose is most likely because they are a
functional merchandise of clothing. For example,
they fluctuate in size from micro to mini to just higher than the knee to beneath the
knee. In a quantity of conditions, the software of leather-based was even extended to trousers
and equipment as properly. Leather pants have been then viewed as to be sizzling
and females were also prompt to go by this growth.
Black leather pants with belts that experienced whopping shiny buckles grew to become a style assertion specifically with
the youth..

There is no explanation by any means for Lois Lane, who admittedly showed up for five days of
college, to expect to be remembered as a scholar there.
Sure, Lois was a navy brat, so she grabs on to
the Smallville Large aspect of her existence and probably romanticizes it for much
more than it was, but I know the smart Lois Lane would under
no circumstances count on a team of youthful grown ups who understood each other for the very first eighteen decades of their
lives to keep in mind a great deal if everything about
the 5 days they could or may perhaps not have observed some new chick wandering the halls.
I know this is likely to seem nit picky to some
of you, but it information like this that bug
the living Blue Kryptonite out of me.

11.23.14 at 12:11 AM

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet visitors,
its really really pleasant paragraph on building up new webpage.

11.23.14 at 1:48 PM

We only manage the best quality and most usefulHalotestin for body building and
muscle conditioning and giveTrenbolone Enanthate. you make pick up oxandrolone tablets earlier and ask
can your favorite looked starter medicated no individual so
with healthcare doctor be In addition have observed
humans reference Tren Acetate as Parabolan-wrong!

11.23.14 at 2:27 PM

Reviews will be always contained by a truly
impartial source with positives and negatives. Another essential requirement to contemplate is whether or not
customer opinions and evaluations are not unavailable.
Discovering reviews from true shooters and reading opinions actually makes an enormous
variation. No manager critique could exchange reviews from consumers that are
real. Both customer and publisher ideas should be always
contained by the most effective impartial compound bend reviews.
Your evaluations resource that is ideal must have an incredibly variable research system that allows their
search to be narrowed down by archers effortlessly and quickly.
Such ribbon selector needs to have the capacity
of filter bows by specs (support height, pull measures, draw loads, AtA length,
IBO speed, etc.), manufacturers, costs, and also other search requirements.
Since we realize for when seeking the most effective element
bow evaluations let us examine where you should locate them,
what to look.

11.23.14 at 2:29 PM

I really like it when people come together and share ideas.
Great blog, continue the good work!

11.23.14 at 5:04 PM

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your
website? My blog is in the very same area of interest as yours and my visitors
would definitely benefit from a lot of the information you provide
here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Thank you!

11.23.14 at 9:18 PM

The slim lanes are lined with small shops offering things like buttons and lace by the metre.

I'm excited to find this website. I wanted to thank you for
your time due to this wonderful read!! I definitely really
liked every bit of it and i also have you book marked to see new information in your website.