07.17.2004

2002 Turkey Flat Grenache, Barossa Valley, Australia

Turkey Flat Vineyards was established in 1847, giving it some of the oldest vines in Australia, which contribute to the glory of their Shiraz, which I've already reviewed here. On the strength of that wine, I picked up a bottle of their Grenache recently and little did I know what a treat I was in for.

Let me say right off the bat that I am not a fan of this varietal. I've tried it dozens of times on its own at the Rhone Rangers tastings and elsewhere, and I've never really found a wine that holds my interest -- they tend to be austere, flat, and uni-dimensional.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Grenache. I happen to love Rhone blends that include a good measure of Grenache, and the acidity it brings to these wines is admirable and essential. But it doesn't seem to me that many people know what they are doing when they use it all by itself.

That is very much not the case with the Turkey Flat wine. Someone clearly knows how to manage this grape on its own. Perhaps they are helped by the fact that these vines are 90 years old, with trunks as thick as my thighs, and grapes that grow to bursting with sugar in the hot Barossa sun. Or perhaps, unlike their American counterparts, they are willing to treat the vines the way they want to be treated: harshly. It turns out that Grenache (also known as Grenache Noir) likes to be abused. It grows best in hot, windy, poorly irrigated and poorly fertilized soil, and also loves to be severely pruned.

Historically, Grenache has generally used as a blending grape in the Rhone region of France, where it is combined with Mourvedre and Syrah to in the Cotes du Rhone and Chateauneuf-du-Pape, and in Spain, where it is mixed with Tempranillo and forms the basis of most Riojas. For many years it was Australia's most planted grape, and the world's second most planted grape by acreage. It has lost its standing in Australia to Shiraz and I haven't seen recent world data, but it most certainly remains in the top three.

Tasting Notes:
Bright ruby in color this wine has a spicy nose of oak, cherry, pine, and dried herb aromas. On the palate it has a great acidity with flavors of redcurrant, plum, cherries, and sawdust. The finish is long and lingering, with elements of the spices from the nose returning as it makes its way through the back of your throat.

Food Pairing:
This is a fantastic food wine that will go well with a lot of international food. We happened to bring it along to a Mediterranean-North African restaurant and it went very well with most of the dishes there. Try it with a Moroccan chicken tagine.

Overall Score: 8.5/9

How Much?: $25

I picked my bottle up as I wandered through the Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant on my lunch break one day. It is also widely available on the Internet.

08.22.14 at 12:28 PM

It started off with books, moved on to the E-book reader, thus revolutionizing the studying globe.

The downside of this browser is that, it gained't match the iPad display.
Jumping beans have always been a well-liked novelty.

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it,
you happen to be a great author. I will always bookmark your
blog and will come back later in life. I want to encourage you to continue your great writing,
have a nice morning!

08.25.14 at 1:15 PM

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This paragraph
posted at this website is really pleasant.

Sheila wrote:
08.27.14 at 11:07 AM

Woah! I'm really enjoying the template/theme of this blog.

It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's very difficult
to get that "perfect balance" between usability and visual appearance.
I must say you've done a very good job with this.
Also, the blog loads super quick for me on Firefox. Excellent Blog!

08.27.14 at 1:36 PM

But as we stated above, Apple places severe restrictions on apps that can enter the application store.
You can customize them with high resolution images from
their galleries, or add your personal images!

????? ??? wrote:
08.28.14 at 11:23 AM
hud homes wrote:
08.28.14 at 12:18 PM

I blog frequently and I genuinely thank you for your information. The article has truly peaked my
interest. I am going to book mark your blog and keep checking for new information about once a week.
I subscribed to your RSS feed too.

08.30.14 at 1:27 AM

It's going to be really awkward if you go through all of this
trouble, then you've to go back and do it again. Never hesitate
showing images with your ex girlfriends! I obtained
a copy of Windows 7 the moment I could.

Edgar wrote:
08.30.14 at 5:27 AM

BlackBerry Messenger is a main software for BlackBerry.
An added downside is the restricted amount of space that you get
for free. Go to the list of totally free apps and click to set up the types you need.