02.22.2005

The 2005 Independent Food Award from Vinography Goes To....

David Kinch and Manresa Restaurant For: The Best Reinvention of A Culinary Cliché

By now, everyone knows what Surf and Turf is. It has been spun, calqued, and re-imagined a thousand times. If someone tries to serve me lobster and a steak on the same plate ever again I swear I will get up and leave the restaurant. That stuff just doesn't belong together, thank-you-very-much.

Yet just when I thought beef and seafood could never find a happy marriage, along comes Chef David Kinch, of Manresa Restaurant in Los Gatos, California with something so simple, so unexpected, it took my breath away.

steak.oyster.tartare.jpg
Sirloin and Oyster Tartare with Bouquet of Greens and Horseradish Cream

I never would have ordered it off of a menu, but when I received it as an amuse-bouche before a dinner a couple of months ago, of course I ate it. Trust me when I tell you that this concoction is one of the most innovative and remarkable things I have put in my mouth in years.

manresasign.jpgThe dish tastes nothing like you would imagine, but just like it should. Remarkably, both the beef flavor (with a hint of olive oil and herbs) and the briny ocean freshness of the oyster come through as distinct yet intertwined. The whole spoonful melted in the mouth and I was left in the realm of fantasy.....so if mermaids had herds of cows that they raised on the ocean bottom, this is what they would taste like...the organic, free-range bovine Sirens of my dreams are calling.

The kitchen at Manresa has now added this dish recently as a menu item and has been experimenting with adding small hints of other flavors which they believe help support the dish in when consumed in a larger quantity than the spoonful I received as an amuse. The version pictured above has tiny bits of caper berries and a few herbs mixed in, which gave it a slight sour flavor to play off of the briny and buttery elements. My preference is actually for just the unadulterated beef and oyster version of my first experience, but Kinch maintains that serving it as a full dish rather than an amuse bouche is a different game. "When served as part of a tasting menu it has to hold up on its own -- it has to be something that can be looked back on as an integral part of a complete meal, rather than just a palate cleanser or playful amuse. Hence the need for more complexity."

It is truly the mark of culinary genius to be able to transcend all dkinch.jpg of the past history of a dish, and still remain true to its essential concept. Bravo Chef Kinch.

To experience Chef Kinch's innovative Japanese and Spanish influenced French cuisine, please visit them in Los Gatos, California:

Manresa Restaurant
320 Village Lane (just off North Santa Cruz Avenue)
Los Gatos, CA 95030
408-354-4330

This award was given as part of the 2005 Independent Food Awards. For more information, and to see the other award winners, please visit the official site.

Geoff Smith wrote:
02.22.05 at 10:30 AM

Is eating beef during the age of bovine spongiform encephalopathy a good idea?

02.22.05 at 10:46 AM

For those of us already infected, I think it's a great idea!

Seriously though, I apply the same decision criteria to eating beef, especially raw beef, that I use for oysters and mussels. I try to only eat these things from VERY reputable restaurants who use products that are responsibly farmed (e.g. healthy animals, no hormones, sustainable practices, etc.) and whose level of health standards and cleanliness I trust. Manresa is definitely one of those restaurants.

Also, keep in mind, this is not ground beef, which often comes from many different animals and less than desireable meat. This is diced sirloin steak of the highest quality.

Sam wrote:
02.22.05 at 10:17 PM

Now I am doubly bummed I can't make it to Thursday's dinner.
Have fun.
Great picture by the way, and eloquent write up as always.

Jennifer wrote:
02.23.05 at 6:38 AM

"...the organic, free-range bovine Sirens of my dreams are calling"...I LOVE IT! Such imagery!

And the idea that someone could reinvent something as old, drudging and mediocre as Surf n' Turf in this fashion is nothing short of miraculous. I think yours is my favourite award.

Sal wrote:
02.24.05 at 12:52 PM

Ymmm.

Looking forward to dinner tonight.

enoch choi wrote:
02.24.05 at 6:04 PM

aargh! why do i have to work tonight....

Max wrote:
02.26.05 at 9:40 AM

That raw dish captures it well, and is nicely photographed.

DK has been doing other such combos since Manresa opened. One favorite of mine is the rolls of rare Ahi tuna wrapped in paper-thin slices of free-range veal. (Roasted and sliced on the bias they look like the crunchy "egg rolls" of Chinese restaurants.) I used to kid him that this was the Surf 'n' Turf special.

Max wrote:
02.26.05 at 9:47 AM

By the way! A priceless magazine article on food around 1979 -- before today's Internet food forums, but very relevant to them -- laid out, for traveling diners, the Seven Warning Signs of Mediocre Restaurants. (With lurid illustrations of Maitre d's gone amok with tableside flaming dishes, etc.)

One of the warning signs was seeing phrases with " 'n' " in them: Steaks 'n' Grog. Surf 'n' Turf.

11.21.14 at 6:35 PM

You are so cool! I don't believe I have read through a single thing like that before.
So nice to find another person with genuine thoughts
on this issue. Seriously.. thank you for starting this up.

This site is one thing that is required on the web, someone
with some originality!

11.22.14 at 1:43 AM

Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add the
red quinoa. Cayenne, a natural phytonutrient derived
from capsicum, helps support circulation. These include quercetin, a
member of the flavonoid family which has powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer
properties.

locksmith N1 wrote:
11.22.14 at 7:16 AM

If you want to get a great deal from this article then you have to apply these methods to your won blog.

11.22.14 at 7:36 AM

Link exchange is nothing else but it is simply placing the
other person's webpage link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also do
similar in support of you.

It's very trouble-free to find out any topic on net as compared to textbooks, as I found this
article at this website.

11.22.14 at 1:16 PM

MLM is the ideal opportunity for the best individual but
trust in me there are the one you are naturally doing currently that will be doing all of your homework
about Javita Coffee Company and also numerous obstacles which will need to be over come.

However I am AN ENORMOUS supporter of a teacher the industry and leading
employer on the net. My experience has been Social-Media
Branding, social-media advertising, list-building, Network
Marketing and lead-generation.

Adf.Ly Bot wrote:
11.22.14 at 1:56 PM

? ?o accept ?s true w?th alll the concepts ?ou've introduced on your post.
They're very convincing andd will definit?ly work. Nonetheles?, t?e posts are ?ery quick for starters.
?ay ju?t you please lengthen t?em a bit fr?m next time?
Thank you for the post.

Karissa wrote:
11.22.14 at 3:16 PM

If yyou aree one of many Ame?icans that are missing one o? mor? teeth, conta?t a dentist or dental surgeon. If she could feel the mike
on her lips w?y woud she ?ccidentally bite down. C?mputer? a?e playing an important role as well in dent?stry today.

11.22.14 at 3:51 PM

Its style and design permits for carrying a lot of equipment like snow shoes,
a wind breaker or other hotter jackets and has a neat fleece lined goggle
pocket which stops the goggle from fogging up. The fleece guards the
lens from scratches specifically in the course of tumbles and falls.

It also has a helmet pocket which will make carrying the
helmet close to quite trouble no cost.

I identified these truffles horrible, I enable them stand
for 4hrs it did not company up adequately. I put them in the fridge
for 2hrs they firmed up marginally, but not
enough to roll. I place them in the freezer till the up coming working day.
For the dough: in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg yolks, full egg, sugar, butter, and buttermilk.
Incorporate close to 2 cups of the flour together with the yeast and salt whisk right up
until moistened and combined. Remove the whisk attachment
and change with a dough hook.

Leather skirts are as common as they have at any
time been. And the cause is likely due to the
fact they are a versatile merchandise of clothing. For example,
they change in length from micro to mini to just above the knee to down below the knee.
In a variety of situations, the application of leather-based
was even prolonged to pants and accessories as very well.

Leather-based trousers have been then considered
to be scorching and girls had been also immediate to go by this progress.
Black leather-based pants with belts that had whopping shiny buckles became a trend assertion specially
with the youth..

There is no reason by any means for Lois Lane, who admittedly confirmed
up for 5 times of faculty, to count on to be remembered as a scholar there.

Positive, Lois was a military brat, so she grabs
on to the Smallville Superior portion of her lifetime and perhaps romanticizes it for a lot more than it was, but
I know the intelligent Lois Lane would hardly ever expect
a team of youthful grown ups who understood each and every other for the initial 18 a long time of their
lives to remember a lot if just about anything about the 5 times they could or may possibly
not have found some new chick wandering the halls. I know
this is heading to seem nit picky to some of you, but it details
like this that bug the dwelling Blue Kryptonite out of me.

Azucena wrote:
11.22.14 at 4:28 PM

Excellpent post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I'm impressed!
Extremely helpful information particularly the ultimate section :
) I deal with such info a lot. I used to be looking for this certain information
for a very lengthy time. Thanks and good luck.

11.22.14 at 6:35 PM

Its structure lets for carrying heaps of components like snow shoes, a wind breaker or other warmer jackets and has a neat fleece lined goggle pocket which prevents the goggle from fogging up.
The fleece guards the lens from scratches in particular for the duration of tumbles and falls.
It also has a helmet pocket which can make carrying the helmet all around quite inconvenience
no cost.

I found these truffles terrible, I let them stand for 4hrs it did
not agency up thoroughly. I put them in the fridge for
2hrs they firmed up a bit, but not sufficient
to roll. I place them in the freezer until the next working
day. For the dough: in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment,
whisk the egg yolks, complete egg, sugar, butter, and buttermilk.

Add approximately 2 cups of the flour along with the yeast
and salt whisk until moistened and blended. Take away the whisk attachment and change with a dough hook.

Leather skirts are as well-known as they have at any time
been. And the cause is most likely because they are a multipurpose merchandise of
apparel. For case in point, they fluctuate in size from micro to mini
to just over the knee to underneath the knee. In a quantity of situations, the software of leather-based was even extended to trousers and components as
effectively. Leather-based trousers had been then considered to be hot and women were being also prompt to go by
this improvement. Black leather-based trousers with belts that experienced whopping shiny
buckles turned a trend assertion in particular with the youth..

There is no explanation in anyway for Lois Lane, who admittedly
confirmed up for 5 days of faculty, to anticipate to be remembered as
a student there. Positive, Lois was a armed service brat, so she grabs on to the Smallville Substantial aspect of her
lifetime and potentially romanticizes it for far more than it
was, but I know the wise Lois Lane would in no
way assume a team of younger adults who understood every other for
the first 18 yrs of their lives to remember much if anything at all about the 5 days they
may possibly or may well not have viewed some new chick wandering the halls.
I know this is likely to seem nit picky to some
of you, but it information like this that bug the dwelling Blue Kryptonite out of me.

11.22.14 at 6:49 PM

Its style allows for carrying plenty of accessories like snow footwear, a wind breaker
or other hotter jackets and has a neat fleece lined goggle
pocket which helps prevent the goggle from fogging up. The
fleece safeguards the lens from scratches primarily through tumbles and
falls. It also has a helmet pocket which makes carrying the helmet around pretty hassle free.

I identified these truffles horrible, I let them stand for 4hrs it did not agency up appropriately.
I place them in the fridge for 2hrs they firmed
up a little, but not ample to roll. I set them in the freezer
until the following day. For the dough: in the bowl of a
stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg
yolks, whole egg, sugar, butter, and buttermilk. Include about two cups of the flour along with the
yeast and salt whisk until finally moistened and blended.
Clear away the whisk attachment and change with a dough hook.

Leather skirts are as common as they have ever been. And
the rationale is most likely mainly because they are a multipurpose merchandise of garments.
For case in point, they fluctuate in duration from micro to mini to just over the knee to down below the knee.
In a selection of conditions, the software of leather-based was even extended to
pants and add-ons as effectively. Leather-based trousers had been then viewed
as to be warm and ladies ended up also prompt to go by this development.
Black leather trousers with belts that experienced whopping shiny buckles turned a manner statement primarily with the youth..

There is no cause by any means for Lois Lane, who
admittedly confirmed up for five times of school, to expect to be remembered as a college student there.

Certain, Lois was a military brat, so she grabs on to the Smallville High part of her life and maybe romanticizes it for much more
than it was, but I know the clever Lois Lane would under no circumstances anticipate a group
of youthful older people who understood each individual other
for the to start with eighteen decades of their life to recall a great deal if everything about the five times they may or may
well not have seen some new chick wandering the halls.

I know this is going to audio nit picky to some of you, but it
specifics like this that bug the living Blue Kryptonite
out of me.

11.22.14 at 8:32 PM

Its style and design allows for carrying tons of accessories
like snow shoes, a wind breaker or other hotter jackets and has
a neat fleece lined goggle pocket which prevents the goggle from fogging up.
The fleece guards the lens from scratches in particular in the course of tumbles and falls.
It also has a helmet pocket which will make carrying the helmet all around pretty
problem absolutely free.

I uncovered these truffles awful, I permit them stand for 4hrs it did not firm up
thoroughly. I set them in the fridge for 2hrs they
firmed up a little bit, but not more than enough to roll.

I set them in the freezer till the subsequent day.
egg, sugar, butter, and buttermilk. Add about two cups of the flour along with
the yeast and salt whisk until moistened and mixed.
Take away the whisk attachment and replace with a
dough hook.

Leather skirts are as popular as they have ever been. And the rationale is
almost certainly simply because they are a flexible item of
clothes. For instance, they fluctuate in size from micro to mini to just above the knee to underneath the knee.
In a range of conditions, the software of leather was
even prolonged to trousers and equipment as effectively.
Leather pants had been then viewed as to be scorching and females have been also immediate to go by this enhancement.
Black leather-based pants with belts that experienced whopping shiny buckles became a trend assertion specifically with
the youth..

There is no purpose in any way for Lois Lane, who admittedly confirmed up
for 5 days of school, to assume to be remembered as a student there.

Positive, Lois was a armed service brat, so she grabs on to the Smallville High
aspect of her daily life and most likely romanticizes it for far
more than it was, but I know the good Lois Lane would in no way
expect a group of younger grownups who understood every single
other for the very first eighteen a long time
of their life to keep in mind substantially if something about the five days they may perhaps or may possibly not have found
some new chick wandering the halls. I know this is heading to audio nit
picky to some of you, but it facts like this that bug
the living Blue Kryptonite out of me.

11.22.14 at 9:02 PM

Please let me know if you're looking for a article writer for your site.
You have some really good articles and I think I would be a good asset.
If you ever want to take some of the load off,
I'd really like to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.

Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Thank you!

11.23.14 at 12:29 AM

Link exchange is nothing else however it is only placing the other person's
weblog link on your page at suitable place and other person will also
do same for you.

Mohammad wrote:
11.23.14 at 9:17 AM

If you are using concentrated hydrogen peroxide, make sure you
dilute it by adding equal amounts of warm water.

11.23.14 at 11:02 AM

Then flip your sample items over for the again items, listening to where the sample items lie on the stripes to allow them
to match up!

11.23.14 at 5:45 PM

I visited various blogs but the audio quality for audio songs existing at this site is genuinely fabulous.

Angus wrote:
11.23.14 at 8:09 PM

Can you tell us more about this? I'd like to find out
some additional information.

Rosaline wrote:
11.23.14 at 8:34 PM

The fact that this product delivers practical, easy-to-implement ideas and
techniques will be the biggest benefit of it all.
I guess that many law of attraction products fail for the reason that they consist of almost nothing
but fluffy, theoretical, impractical BS when the creator of Manifestation Miracle
managed to put together a course that is laser focused on obtaining benefits, Fast!

So when I initially discovered this program I was truly pleased,
even when it sounded somewhat too good to be real,
and decided to obtain a review copy as soon as possible. And it was the right decision! I believe this
is the course that has assisted me quite possibly the most in comprehending the
law of attraction the very best and also to be capable to put
it to good use, so I truly am grateful to the creator
for placing it together.

test wrote:
11.24.14 at 3:43 AM

Hi there, this weekend is pleasant in favor of me, since this
time i am reading this wonderful educational post here at my residence.