10.31.2005

Good Enough To Bathe In

I've written about wine from Thailand before -- a shocking place if ever there was one for growing wine, so close to the equator. But apparently the Thai are doing it. What's more, I learned yesterday that one of the biggest wineries in Thailand is offering a complete wine tasting experience that ends with a spa treatment including a Shiraz bath.

Aimed "people who don't want to drive immediately after a wine-tasting," the winery first developed a hotel and restaurant, and apparently spa services were the next logical conclusion. The use of wine in those services, was presumably a natural conclusion.

A 30-minute hydrotherapy session at the spa costs 500 baht (about $12.25). Sounds like a bargain if you ask me. What I wonder about is how long it would take for my skin to stop being purple afterwards....

Read the full story:

Dustin Platt wrote:
10.31.05 at 6:39 PM

Hiya Alder;
A friend of mine went to a crush festival, she said she had a fabulous time and I made a similar joke regarding her feet being purple. She was surprised that there actually was no staining, though thinking about it, skin isn't necessarily as porous as, say, my Kenneth Cole silk shirt.
About shiraz, I seem to remember reading that Shiraz is not the same as Syrah, and that they are actually quite different... my room mate, who spends much of his free time at St. Supery, told me that isn't correct, that they are actually the exact same grape. Would you happen to know, Alder? Kind of silly, but I am actually curious because, according to a book once read, Shiraz was the name of Marco Polo's horse.
Dustin

10.31.05 at 9:46 PM

Dustin,

Thanks for the note. I've never crushed grapes nor soaked in wine, but after some of these larger wine tastings I attend my lips are stained purple, as are my fingers from small drips down the side of my glass. My fingers stay purple for at least 2 days afterwards.

Also, I know enough winemakers to have seen their hands after crush, and some of them don't regain their skin pigment for a week or so.

Shiraz and Syrah are two different names for the same grape. I think Shiraz is a great name for a horse. The next dog I get will be named Brunello.

11.01.05 at 7:56 AM

Dustin,

While Shiraz and Syrah are made from the same grape Petite Shirah and Syrah are made from different grapes although they sound (and sometimes taste) quite alike. Maybe that's what you read.

Alder, count me as one of the purple-lipped partakers. I love your blog.

Rhiannon Gammill
Miss Adventure
Austin American-Statesman

Steve-o wrote:
11.01.05 at 1:12 PM

I seem to recall that Lucy ended up quite purple after getting into a fight with a fellow grape-crusher in a grape vat. Why would TV lie to us?

Ty wrote:
11.02.05 at 11:19 AM

It may depend on the kind of wine. I know after a heavy cab my lips are invariably stained purple. And, now that I think about it, I havn't had the same trouble with some of the lighter grapes. I'd imagine that if you immersed yourself long enough in the purple liquid, no matter how concentrated the color, you would emerge with a faint purple hue. Of course, there is only one way to find out... Anybody planning a trip to Thailand?

Malcolm wrote:
11.09.05 at 4:31 AM

A few months ago I had to double decant 60 bottles of 2003 vintage port prior to a tasting - obviously not to remove sediment but to aerate them - and I found that the various papercuts and scrapes on my hands (that I was not even aware of previously) were stained purple. The rest of my hands were just sticky - no staining. The stains lasted about a week or so (and yes I did wash my hands during that period!).