04.03.2006

In Search of The Great Malbec

AKA, Vinography visits Argentina. These next two weeks Ruth and I will be traipsing around Argentina, and you get to come along for the ride. We're headed to Buenos Aires, Patagonia, and of course, Mendoza for a little R&R as well as to scope out the scene in what many people are calling the Paris of the Southern Hemisphere. My mouth is already watering at the prospect of big juicy steaks at 30 cents to the dollar and the opportunity to sample top Malbecs from the best wine lists in the country. I've yet to have a Malbec that knocks my socks off, so this trip will settle my mind once and for all.

My hope is to bring you some tantalizing images, some restaurant reviews, and of course, the download on the Mendoza wine scene. Be patient as I negotiate the South American Internet infrastructure.

Hasta luego.

Geoff Smith wrote:
04.03.06 at 10:32 AM

Alder,

Grab me a Che Guevara t-shirt if you spot any cool ones. Size large.

Cheers,

Geoff

nick wrote:
04.03.06 at 12:04 PM

See if you can locate Marta's Vineyard in Mendoza. We met her at the wine show in London and her wines were fantastic! link: http://www.martasvinyard.com

Have fun,
Nick

Lenn wrote:
04.03.06 at 3:58 PM

Can't wait to read about the trip...safe travels and happy carnivory!

ga wrote:
04.04.06 at 10:06 AM

you will find amazing wines that aren't exported to Northamerica. Salud!

Natester wrote:
04.04.06 at 2:39 PM

Catena Zapata, although very commercial, seems to have the coolest winery in Argentina, with technology and architecture that is some of the best in the world.

Also, Paul Hobbs? They have a gig down there. Bramare? el Felino?

-Jealous

04.05.06 at 9:42 AM

Thanks Nate,

I'll visit and let you know how it is.

Chris R wrote:
04.07.06 at 9:11 PM

Went there in '02. Lurton and Weinert were kind of good and had some interesting stuff, and Escorrihuela was good for the price ($6 for a tasty Syrah).

Martijn Samsom wrote:
04.09.06 at 8:00 PM

My favorite Malbec is the Terrazas de Los Andes Malbec Reserva (Mendoza). I've had the 2002 thru 2004 vintages, all very consistent and rated around 90-91. At around $ 12 a bottle an excellent value. Available here in the States. The 2004 reserva is available at Costco. Enjoy.

Ann Russell wrote:
04.11.06 at 9:53 AM

I go to Aruba to enjoy Lots of Argentinian wine and beef- maybe next year, Argentina itself! Anrusel

Paulo Prado wrote:
04.11.06 at 5:45 PM

Alder, make sure that you call me when you get to Mendoza. I am building my South American Wine Site over here. I do have great tips and I am very passionate about it. My local cell phone is 15.552.0744

Megan wrote:
06.01.06 at 4:39 PM

Check out Valentin Bianchi. They make a few great Malbecs and have been said to be the king of Cabs too!

Lea wrote:
06.20.06 at 7:58 PM

Did you happen to taste / find any Tapiz Malbec in Argentina? I fell in love with it in 2002 and bought several cases. Alas, I'm down to my last bottle and can't find anymore anywhere. Is it still being produced? Or is it just no longer being imported to the U.S.? Any advice or comparable Malbecs is welcome. Cheers!

06.20.06 at 8:28 PM

Yes, had at least one Tapiz Malbec, but didn't really care for it. Here's where you can find it, though if you want some: http://www.winezap.com/Tapiz-Malbec/0/17771/4826

07.30.14 at 3:04 AM

A motivating discussion is worth comment. I think that you ought to publish more on this
issue, it might not be a taboo subject but
usually folks don't speak about such topics. To the next! Best wishes!!