08.30.2006

I Can't Believe I Agree With Him

I really wasn't going to comment on this. I wasn't, I wasn't, I wasn't.

I gritted my teeth, bit my knuckles, and put my fingers in my ears. I was so very nearly successful at not mentioning the fact that California's governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed the state bill that would have recognized Zinfandel as the state's "historic grape." Why? Because I had nothing to say, and somewhat embarrassingly, I completely agreed with his decision.

I made my views on the subject known a long time ago: what a phenomenal waste of legislative time and money this was. Worth a veto if only to discourage our elected representatives from such asinine proposals in the future.

But then today I was trolling the Internet and found what might just be the best possible response to the whole thing, which forced me into creating a post to address this topic I tried so hard to avoid.

So without further editorializing by me, I'd like to present the greatest take I could imagine on this non-news item, courtesy of Mike over at the blog Shiraz.

tedo wrote:
08.30.06 at 6:38 PM

Very nice....I too struggled not to comment on this as well. What a collosal waste of the Gov't's money.
Thanks for the link to the blog.

Prissy wrote:
08.30.06 at 8:58 PM

One good note is that I bet lots of people are having a good spicy glass just because of this story. Not a bad trade off.

Gene wrote:
08.30.06 at 10:37 PM

Alder - I loved your and Mike's tongue-in-cheek stories re: Zin - The State Grape of California and Shiraz - The State Grape Of Australia, but seriously, what's the big fuss about? After seeing Sideways, Girly Man decides that Pinot Noir should be the state grape? After all, even though Zin originated in Croatia, it is the distinctive grape varietal of California. Come on, it's just a question of a state grape like a state bird or flower. It's not as if the legislature is prohibiting the comsumption of Zinfandel, like the prohibition of Foie Gras. It's certainly not as silly as proposition 65 announcing that crystal wine glasses have lead in them.

Jared S. wrote:
08.31.06 at 7:29 AM

While I do see, and appreciate, the humor in these posts, I really don't see what all hte fuss is about either. I personally think that making Zin the "historic" grape of California makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, I don't really care either way. And the fact that Zin's been in the press can't be a bad thing.

Say what you want about me, just spell my name right. ;-)

08.31.06 at 7:45 AM

There is no fuss. Not from these quarters. Many people are bemoaning this "loss of opportunity" and castigating the governator for his insensitivity. Would I have cared if he "didn't" veto it? No. Either way it is still a colossal waste of taxpayer time and money to have the legislature passing things like this. Somehow I think if the bill was to make the acorn squash the historic gourd of California, more people might realize the stupidity of such a thing in the face of any number of problems that the legislature "hasn't gotten around to addressing."

Rick Dobbs wrote:
08.31.06 at 9:46 AM

Despite its massive waste of time, this stuff will keep coming up because people actually talk about it and remember it.

I don't see people worrying about SB 51 which covers Horsemen's Organizations.

TJ wrote:
08.31.06 at 10:03 AM

The one good thing he did was to annouce that September is California WIne Month! http://www.californiawinemonth.com/

Not that I'm seeing any tv ads, or hearing any radio spots about this. The fact that some winemakers/wineries are using it as an excuse to promote their wines and or run some specials is FINE by me!

Geoff Smith wrote:
08.31.06 at 3:36 PM

I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. Is this about Zinfandel being the state "grape" or the state "wine?"

Anybody interested in voting for either vitis girdiana or vitis californica for the state grape?

Geoff

boyd wrote:
08.31.06 at 4:46 PM

I would be more for voting mission the state grape.

Rob Cole wrote:
09.01.06 at 8:54 AM

The Scuppernong is the official state fruit of NC. But I guess we don't have a "historic" grape either, so I don't know if we're ahead of Ca or behind it... :)

09.01.06 at 9:10 AM

What the heck is Scuppernog?

Alder

Rob Cole wrote:
09.01.06 at 12:40 PM

It's a White Muscadine. The first cultivated grape in America and (probably) the first one made into wine in the Colonies. I doubt that even the colonists compared it favorably to wine from vinifera grapes (for those few who had been fortunate enough to ever taste good European wine), but it was very available. Discovered in 1524 by French (hired) Explorer Giovanni de Verrazano. Until prohibition, North Carolina was one of the leading producers of grapes and wines in the US!

Here's a link that can give you more information, if you're curious enough about it (or about North Carolina Wines.)

Mike wrote:
09.04.06 at 12:02 PM

The California Poppy is the state flower.
The state soil is San Joaquin soil.
The state insect is the California Dogface Butterfly
The state fish is the California Golden Trout
Let's get one thing straight ... Making Zin the state's historic grape is not a commercial endorsement!
Such symbolic gestures represent the cultural heritage and natural treasures of a state. Does Zinfandel qualify?
Probably. Such a designation benefits all California wines. This legislation will come up again .. and I hope the governor gets some perspective on this instead of listening to the Family Winemakers.