09.25.2006

Now Where Did I Leave That Bottle?

Red wine is good for everything. But you already knew that. If you read this blog only more than once every two years you will have seen the constant breakthroughs in medical research showing just how amazingly healthy red wine is for all of us. In case you have forgotten, feel free to check out the list that I stopped compiling because it was just getting too long.

What I want to know is why are there so many scientists out there who one day just decide to study red wine? It's not as if there is some endowment from the Wine Institute or something, is there? I suppose it's not that farfetched for there to be some cabal of wine millionaires who keep funneling money into grants for medical research on wine if only to keep their product sales up.

But enough conspiracy theory. There's yet another addition to the list of benefits to be derived from a glass a day. Red wine may help to prevent Alzheimer's.

Thank heavens there's another way for us to escape dementia besides crossword puzzles or Sudoku. Those darn things drive me nuts to begin with, and the prospect of staving off brain deterioration in later life by sitting down with the NY Times puzzle every day was making me wilt in anticipation. I will live more a more tranquil life for the next 30 years knowing that instead all I may have to do is drink wine with my dinner. That is, as long as I can remember where I left the bottle.

James wrote:
09.26.06 at 9:39 AM

Interesting how Cabernet Sauvignon is the only varietal with these magic powers. Now we need additional studies that expose the specific health benefits of other varietals. Perhaps Pinot Noir for lowering your blood pressure? Syrah for hair growth? Zinfandel to keep your cholesterol in check?

Whit Stevens wrote:
09.26.06 at 10:55 AM

It appears tippling may have monetary, as well as health benefits. Economists Bethany Peters and Edward Stringham found that drinkers earn significantly more pay than teetotalers do.

09.26.06 at 11:25 AM

I read that, too. Sounds like a classic case of misinterpreting correllation as causation.

Whit Stevens wrote:
09.26.06 at 12:41 PM

That's certainly possible Alder, though Tyler and Andrew feel the research is well crafted. And of course, it's also possible some of the supposed health benefits of wine are merely the result of a methodological error.

Tyler T wrote:
09.26.06 at 5:23 PM

No endowment from the Wine Institute that I know of, but Dr. Andrew Waterhouse of UC Davis received the John E. Kinsella Chair in Food, Nutrition and Health endowment for his work with wine and health. He is the excellent wine chem professor in the Viticulture and Enology department.

Ryan Scott wrote:
10.03.06 at 7:13 PM

For all the Bordeaux collectors and Cab hoarders, better break into the stash of Cabs or you won't be able to find them to fund your retirement!

Earthquake Rattles Napa Harvest NIMBY Versus Vineyard in Malibu Vinography Images: Precious Droplets MORIC: The Apogee of Blaufränkisch 2014 Sonoma Wine Country Weekend: August 29-31, Healdsburg, CA The (Still) Dismal State of California Chardonnay What a Way to Go: Wine At the End of Your Life Vinography Images: Into the Tank 72 Pinot Noirs on a Sunny Afternoon: Tasting at IPNC 2014 The Great White South: An Introduction to Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc