01.15.2007

Vinography Quietly Turns Three

vinography_three.gifNo parties or fanfare this time around. Just too darn busy to celebrate, but today marks the beginning of my fourth year as a wine blogger. I've said on other occasions how astonishing it is to see what Vinography has become in the last three years, going from a small personal project to record my wine and food experiences for friends, to a publication which accords me the status of legitimate journalist.

The last three years have been busy ones. Nearly 1200 posts, over 5600 comments from readers like you, thousands of wines tasted, hundreds reviewed individually, and many more reviewed as part of articles about wineries or tasting events. I've gone from one or two visitors in the early weeks of this "little experiment" to well over 8000 on most days.

There's a lot of good stuff to look back on, and a heck of a lot more good stuff to look forward to. After writing about wine nearly every day for three years I'm still really enjoying myself (which is really the only reason I'm here in the first place), so I have every expectation that as long as I can continue to carve out a little time to sit here and type away for you, that Vinography will continue to have a long and fruitful life in the years ahead.

Thank you, as always, for your readership and your companionship on this journey that I'm on. Now, let's go pop a cork or two!

lagramiere wrote:
01.15.07 at 10:25 PM

Happy Birthday Vinography! Congrats Alder! Hope the bubbly was delish! Amy

lenn wrote:
01.16.07 at 5:07 AM

Happy blog birthday, Alder.

I'll be hitting three in a couple months...I guess that makes us two of the old timers huh?

Utenzi wrote:
01.16.07 at 2:43 PM

Congratulations on having two years of blogging under your belt, Alder. I hope you're still enjoying the experience.

Jathan wrote:
01.16.07 at 2:55 PM

I have about 6 months on you youngins (I'll be hitting 4 years in August). Of course, I haven't been near as diligent as you two as of late. Anyway, congrats Alder, I look forward to more good things from you and the other old timer this year.

Doug wrote:
01.16.07 at 5:00 PM

Happy Third Year! Please keep up the great work - the industry needs and appreciates your professional leadership in the medium, your diverse and interesting content, and well-written style.

Tom Wark wrote:
01.16.07 at 8:44 PM

Three? Really? Wow. I thought I detected a bit more grey around the sidebars.

Keep at it, Alder. But don't throw a big bash to celebrate. Don't do it at Five years either. Wait till the Tenth Anniversary. That's the big one! I have a feeling you'll make it. And I'll bring the 2004 Cab.

Courtney wrote:
01.17.07 at 9:42 AM

Way to go, Alder! You have always been my wine blog idol!! Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing you around town before long. - CC ;)

SobreVino wrote:
01.17.07 at 1:08 PM

Happy birthday. Looking forward for the next three.

Regards,

SobreVino

Melinda wrote:
01.17.07 at 5:55 PM

Happy belated birthday, Alder! Party or no party, I'm sure people all over the world raised their glasses in your honor.

Bradley wrote:
01.18.07 at 4:34 PM

I tried to congratulate you a couple days ago but I got this odd 404 page that said your site was inebriated or something.
Probably out celebrating!
Congrats.
Always intelligent, accurate and informative.
Always recommended.

Joy Sterling wrote:
01.21.07 at 4:02 PM

Dear Alder, Happy Belated Birthday! I am an avid reader of your weekly updates. Getting your email is as much a part of my Sunday as the New York Times. With all my best, Joy

John wrote:
01.22.07 at 8:11 AM

Alder,
Congrats, and best wishes for many more years to come!

small_covershot_dropshadow.jpg A wine book like no other. Photographs, essays, and wine recommendations. Learn more.