11.19.2007

Vinography Aroma Card Now Available in German

aroma_card.thumb.gifWhen I published the Vinography Aroma Card one year ago I had no idea that it was going to be such a hit. I had been thinking of doing it as a little project for years after getting fed up with seeing all these aroma and flavor guides set up as round wheels in a way that made absolutely no sense to me.

I guess I wasn't alone in that frustration. Apparently no one else in the world has a round wallet either. The original card has been downloaded thousands of times since it was posted a year ago.

Today I'm happy to announce that it has been translated into its sixth language, German, thanks to the generous assistance of Iris Rutz-Rudel, who is both a fellow wine blogger, and the owner of a small winery in the Olargues region of southern France known as Domaine Lisson.

I was concerned that German would prove especially difficult, mostly because of the length of many German words compared to their English counterparts. Those with keen eyes will note that indeed, I had to juggle some things around in the layout to be able to fit in some lovely terms like "schwarze johannisbeere" (black currant). As with other languages, there were a few terms that had to be dropped as there was just no way to translate them.

This German version joins the English, French, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese versions that are already on offer.

If you find this card valuable, I'd like to ask for a voluntary donation. Most other such tools are about five bucks plus shipping (OK, so theirs are laminated). Give me a dollar or three or five, but if you like it and use it, I'd love a token of your appreciation. You can do so by clicking on the donate button below.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy these cards and find them useful in your wine tasting.

DOWNLOAD THE VINOGRAPHY AROMA CARD (39k PDF):

Deutsche: color | b&w
Portuguese: color | b&w
Français: color | b&w
English: color | b&w
Español: color | b&w
Italiano: color | b&w

If you want to publish the card elsewhere, feel free to link directly to the PDFs here at Vinography, but please do not host the documents on your site. If everyone points to these, I can keep them updated so everyone gets the latest copy.

Did you ever dream of being a patron of the arts? What about a patron of the blogosphere? If you are so inclined, please...

The button above will take you to the PayPal site, where you will be able to make a donation of any amount using your PayPal account, your bank account, or any major credit card. Depending on your method of payment, PayPal will require various personal details, but these will NOT be provided to me. They are only used by PayPal to process your payment. Once you have processed your payment you will be returned to Vinography.Com.

John wrote:
11.19.07 at 11:27 PM

Ok, here's what I *really* want to see: the aroma card translated from Portuguese to German and then BACK to English... that card I promise to use!

"This smells like restless shepherd"... can't wait!

Jack wrote:
11.19.07 at 11:33 PM

You know, Alder, I think you're in charge of the next one. Better brush up on your Slovenian right now.

Also, you're showing the loving to Español but not to Français

andrea gori wrote:
11.19.07 at 11:33 PM

for a german wifed man like me it's
fantastic finally to have something to impress my german parents...and useful foe work of course! During prowein or vinitaly will be tons easier! Thx!

11.29.07 at 5:49 AM

I'm waiting for the Esperanto and the Klingon versions...

Jon wrote:
01.03.08 at 12:43 PM

Like the wallet card idea. Sorry for the ignorance, but I'm struggling to determine the color/classification scheme for the different boxes. Can someone clarify.

01.03.08 at 2:09 PM

Jon,

Great question, and not an uncommon one. The colors are there mostly to differentiate the sections from one another (to keep it from being one huge mass of terms). But the full story is that originally the colors were supposed to relate to the aroma terms that lay in the colored areas, but it was impossible to group the aromas in such a way that there wasn't wasted space on the sheet, or too many similar colors on the page.

So for now, just ignore them. Or rather, just enjoy them for being.... colorful.

03.02.08 at 6:17 AM

I like it for obvious reasons. And now I can practise my Italiano with an english translation. THis is fun. Thanks.

John Philips wrote:
03.26.08 at 5:12 PM

This looks to me as if it is nothing more than the aroma wheel dewheeled. Simply disguised plagiarism!!!

By asking for money for it, you are effectively committing a breach of copyright and piracy.

Shameful!

Not to mention how user unfriendly it is.

Sincerely
John

03.26.08 at 6:01 PM

John,

You're free to dislike this little tool I've put together. There are thousands of people that disagree with you. I found the original Aroma Wheel extremely user unfriendly, which prompted me to design this card.

With regards to the copyright of the Aroma Wheel, created by Ann Noble, et. al. at U.C. Davis, I suggest you check into three things:

1. Who owns the copyright to the words "green apples" etc. (no one)
2. What U.S. Copyright law actually covers about the Aroma Wheel (the name, the specific form and the specific sequence of its common words, which cannot themselves be copyrighted)
3. The specific terms that appear on my card that show up nowhere on the Aroma wheel (can you show me where the term Burnt Marshmallow shows up on the Aroma Wheel?).

Wolfy wrote:
01.06.09 at 7:56 AM

Alder, it looks like the links are broken.