01.02.2008

Cornas Is Saved For Wine Lovers Everywhere

I can't think of a better Christmas gift. OK, maybe world peace would be a better one, but I'm thrilled to report that the vineyards of Cornas have been saved from the evil forces of real estate development.

Regular readers will remember earlier in the year when I related the horrific news that despite protests from everyone involved, the mayor of Cornas was going to approve a commercial development that would have obliterated some of the best vineyard land in the village of Cornas in the Northern Rhone valley.

Together with some of you readers, and wine lovers from around the world, I wrote to protest this action being perpetrated against the will of the village residents and working vignerons in the area.

Last week, I received an e-mail from wine journalist Remy Charest that the project has been abandoned after an investigation by a government commissioner was made, partially prompted by the thousands of petition signatures and letters received about the issue, and a recommendation was made to the mayor not to move forward. The mayor has agreed to abandon the plan.

While I can't quite proclaim "Wine Bloggers Save Cornas!" the letter sent by the organization who spearheaded the protest (8k PDF) makes it clear that the outcry from wine lovers everywhere was factored into the commissioner's recommendation.

Great job!! In celebration, I'm going to go buy a bottle of Cornas. And you should too. Or at least just drink some French Syrah.

John DeFiore wrote:
01.03.08 at 1:07 PM

Hey, Alder, that's great news. I'm definitely going to dip in to my cellar for a fine aged Cornas to celebrate.

Happy New Year,

John

David McDuff wrote:
01.03.08 at 3:13 PM

Good news, Alder. Thanks for sharing. As it happens by pure chance, I just drank a 2003 Crozes-Hermitages rouge from Domaine Combier over the last couple of evenings. That said, I have some Cornas waiting in the cellar as well....

01.03.08 at 3:23 PM

Oh, thank God!
Or, to quote e.e.cummings: "nobody loses all the time."
Cornas is special ground. Thanks for passing on the news, Alder! Happy New Year!

lagramiere wrote:
01.04.08 at 12:43 AM

A huge thank you to you, Alder for getting the info out to everyone! It's so exciting to see that we all made a difference!

Iris wrote:
01.04.08 at 1:53 AM

Thank you for helping the initiative and for publishing the result, Alder. If there is any similar fight to run on your side of the ocean, please tell us, even if I'm not sure, whether old Europeans are listened to in the States, we always can try!

Nancy wrote:
01.06.08 at 12:46 PM

Wow! Power to the (blogging) people!

Silly me - I opened the letter from the organizers and they had the unmitigated gall (Gaul?)to write it in French, but I managed to catch the reference to the triumph of good sense and reason. What a rarity in this crazy world! Very cool - who should we take on next?

01.06.08 at 1:15 PM

Not sure what to take on next. Any suggestions?

The Corkdork wrote:
01.08.08 at 5:01 PM

Excellent news, Alder. Thanks for bringing this to the world's attention. -J

Earthquake Rattles Napa Harvest NIMBY Versus Vineyard in Malibu Vinography Images: Precious Droplets MORIC: The Apogee of Blaufränkisch 2014 Sonoma Wine Country Weekend: August 29-21, Healdsburg, CA The (Still) Dismal State of California Chardonnay What a Way to Go: Wine At the End of Your Life Vinography Images: Into the Tank 72 Pinot Noirs on a Sunny Afternoon: Tasting at IPNC 2014 The Great White South: An Introduction to Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc