06.29.2008

Ohyama Tokubetsu Junmai Nigori, Yamagata Prefecture

ohyama.jpgWe all understand the power of brands. There was likely a time for most Americans alive to day when we used "Reynolds Wrap" when we meant aluminum foil. Some of us still say Kleenex instead of tissue and Xerox instead of photocopy. When one company pioneers a product that becomes so ubiquitous and common, it's likely that the name will stick, even when we're no longer using the original product.

There was a time in Japan's history when sake was more easily referred to as Oyamazake, for exactly the same reasons. In 1882, the Shogun commanded that a sake brewing operation be established to feed the growing thirst for rice wine at the court, and like most of the time when the Shogun asked for something, he got what he wanted.

At it's height, the brewing operation that sprang in the town of Oyama occupied almost fifty separate breweries arranged side-by-side on the Shonai plain in northwestern Japan. The amount of sake produced at the height of production is unknown, but it must have been truly staggering.

Today, several sake breweries call he town of Oyama home, but only one brewery can trace its history back to that massive brewing operation begun more than a century ago. Named Ohyama, or "big mountain," this modest brewery continues to carry on the traditions of sake brewing much as they were established before the turn of the century.

Ohyama makes several sakes, but perhaps one of their best is this very special nigori, or "unfiltered," sake. Unfiltered in the world of sake means much the same as it does in the world of wine. The process of making sake eventually yields a big soup of mushy fermented rice and alcohol in the same way that the end of fermentation for grapes results in a big tank of grape skins, wine, seeds, etc.

In order to get sake out of the mash, the sake must be pressed off of its lees (the solid bits of rice and yeast that are left). This usually involves putting sake into canvas bags and then squeezing those bags in a pneumatic press so that the sake squirts out and the rice and such is left behind. The resulting sake is a milky, cloudy color as it still contains a lot of rice starch and yeast in suspension.

At this point the sake is usually cold filtered through charcoal or other mediums to clarify the sake, but occasionally, brewers will simply stop here, and this cloudy, sediment filled sake is known as nigori. The rice starch gives the sake a milkier, slightly sweeter flavor which makes nigori a nice aperitif, as well as a good match for stronger flavored foods.

Interestingly, if you were to travel back in time, say, to 1882, when Ohyama was busy making sake for the Shogun, all the sake would have been unfiltered because they hadn't invented the filters yet. Clear sake is quite a modern phenomenon.

Unfortunately while nigori sake is also an increasingly popular phenomenon, much of it is extremely low in quality. In some sake drinking circles, nigori sake is the equivalent of white zinfandel, an entry level brew that is easy to drink and doesn't take much to appreciate. As a result most nigori sakes are made from relatively low quality rice, are often fortified with alcohol, and in some cases, are just downright nasty tasting.

Increasingly however, there are some breweries that are making extremely high quality nigori sake, and Ohyama happens to be one of them. This sake is a "tokubetsu" junmai nigori, which means "very special" junmai nigori. The Haenuki rice has been milled to less than 60% of its former mass (enough to qualify for ginjo status), and no additional alcohol has been added in the brewing process. These two facts, coupled with the extra care taken in its production have made for one of the finest, most delicate nigori sakes available on the market today.

Tasting Notes:
This sake looks like watery, fat free milk in the glass, and it smells very pretty, with aromas of rainwater, flowers, and faint hints of bubble gum. In the mouth it is smooth and creamy, with flavors of...well...cream, wet cedar wood, apple, floral notes, and a beautiful stony quality that lasts through a surprisingly long finish. This is one of the most refined, elegant nigori sakes I have ever had.

Food Pairing:
Even though it is refined in quality, this sake has the robustness of the nigori style, which means it is not so easily overwhelmed by stronger flavors (like many delicate sakes are). I'd happily serve this sake with any non-spicy south or east Asian food. It would go beautifully with a mild Vietnamese curry, for instance.

Overall Score: 9/9.5

How Much?: $15

This sake is available for purchase on the Internet.

07.14.08 at 2:12 PM

Great post, got to find that sake. Missed you last week. Best regards, Simon

?????????? wrote:
08.23.14 at 3:07 AM

Aw, this was an extremely good post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to produce a
top notch article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and don't
seem to get nearly anything done.

escort wrote:
08.23.14 at 10:59 AM

I just could not depart your website prior to suggesting that
I extremely enjoyed the usual information a person provide for your visitors?
Is gonna be again steadily to inspect new posts

Mohammad wrote:
08.23.14 at 11:49 PM

My brother suggested I would possibly like this blog.
He was totally right. This submit actually made my day.
You can not consider simply how so much time I had spent for
this information! Thanks!

08.24.14 at 9:04 AM

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous
blogger if you aren't already ;) Cheers!

uit pain wrote:
08.24.14 at 6:10 PM

I ?was recommended this website by my cousin. I'm noot sure ?h?ther this
post is written by him as nobody else know such det?iled
about mmy trouble. Yo?'re amazing! Thanks!

08.25.14 at 5:08 AM

Hello, just wanted to mention, I loved this post.

It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

08.25.14 at 5:52 AM

First off I want to say excellent blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind.
I was curious to know how you center yourself
and clear your thoughts before writing. I've had trouble clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out.
I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10
to 15 minutes are usually lost just trying to figure out
how to begin. Any ideas or hints? Appreciate it!

excellent points altogether, you just won a new reader. What may you recommend in regards to your publish that you just made some days ago?
Any certain?

08.25.14 at 3:36 PM

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement?

My blog has a lot of completely unique content I've either created myself or outsourced but it seems
a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without
my agreement. Do you know any techniques to
help protect against content from being ripped off?

I'd definitely appreciate it.

08.25.14 at 5:29 PM

Great web site, been browsing forever and a day for tips
on the very best rattan furniture for our home and in our back garden. This
site sincerely helpedgreat blog some great info here

Dewayne wrote:
08.25.14 at 10:12 PM

This is my first time visit at here and i am truly pleassant to
read everthing at single place.

lybach.com wrote:
08.26.14 at 12:27 PM

Very rapidly this web page will be famous amid all blogging users,
due to it's pleasant content

Sheilah wrote:
08.26.14 at 8:29 PM

Now I am going to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming
again to read other news.