07.07.2008

Red Wine and Charred Meat Cure Leprosy

I'm sorry about that headline. I couldn't help myself. Everyone else is doing it.

When I first started writing about wine several years ago, I thought one of the things I might do was to help my readers keep up with the health news surrounding wine, so I started posting little tidbits every time I saw a news item about the health benefits of wine. After about three weeks it was clear that unless I was planning on writing the Wine and Health Blog, there was just no way I could possibly cover it all. There's a new bit of news practically every week about how red wine cures everything from cancer to genital herpes.

I've speculated before about why the health benefits of wine seems to be such a popular topic with researchers and the only reason I could come up with was that the researchers just need the merest shred of an excuse to spend their grant monies on booze.

But don't take that as demeaning the quality of or the need for such research. I'm just a bit bemused as to how much of it seems to be pouring out of the halls of academia around the world, proclaiming that yes, red wine will cure just about anything.

The latest bit of research purportedly shows that drinking red wine while eating cooked meat is better for you than eating the same meat while sipping a Diet Coke, for instance.

Of course, we've known since ancient times that drinking wine with food was good for you -- in the old days it was the water that got you sick (and occasionally the food too) so consuming massive quantities of wine was not only fun, but good for staving off dysentery and other nasties. Red wine with your tomatoes, anyone?

This most recent research focuses on wine's antioxidant properties, which seem to reduce the toxins that are a byproduct of our guts trying to break down the fats in the meat. Eating steak apparently shortens your life, but drinking red wine while you do it makes everything OK! (in addition to curing Leprosy, of course).

Like all such studies, we must take these results with a grain of salt, but they certainly are encouraging, nonetheless. Not like you needed an excuse to pop the cork on a nice bottle with your steak dinner....

Read the full article.

Thanks to Jack at Fork & Bottle for sending me the link.

Steve wrote:
07.08.08 at 8:39 AM

Like you, Alder, I've given up on trying to follow the wine and health thing in any great detail. I'm happy to just drink the stuff and trust it's good for me.

Hank wrote:
07.08.08 at 11:39 AM

Alder, I've been drinking red wine and eating charred meats for quite a few years now, and I have never contacted leprosy. I think it works!

John wrote:
07.08.08 at 1:15 PM

My nutritionist just told me to eat more red meat....god love her!!

07.08.08 at 2:41 PM

Adler -- I just spent two years in Argentina -- all I did was eat red meat and drink red wine -- it is good to know that I will now be free of leprosy. Do you know of any cures for the spare tire I acquired?

Rajiv A wrote:
07.08.08 at 4:00 PM

Great article, Alder. My point of view is that the emotional effects of drinking good wine and eating good food, with good friends and family far exceed any biological effects (good or bad).

07.08.08 at 10:52 PM

Vince, you'll need that spare tire as reserve fat in your old age, because with all that resveratrol you've consumed, you'll definitely be living to 100+

Remy wrote:
07.10.08 at 7:15 AM

Indeed, let's take that study with a grain of salt. But not too much salt, or that might offset the benefits of the wine...

;-)

More seriously, the accumulation of studies praising the positive health effects of red wine does make it look pretty good, doesn't it? And the constant seems to be that regular, moderate consumption of red wine is good for you, but that negative effects come into play when drinking becomes excessive. Sounds like science confirming common sense, as it often does.

Remy wrote:
07.10.08 at 7:19 AM

;-)

Zeber wrote:
03.16.09 at 8:31 AM

Red wine is indeed good for health!

04.23.14 at 3:25 PM

They may have only a two-bedroom home and have the two children to share a space.
A higher salary may not go very far in a city with higher transportation, food,
energy, housing and health care costs. So far, no decision regarding an appeal
has been made.

04.23.14 at 4:22 PM

My brother recommended I might like this website.
He was once entirely right. This put up actually
made my day. You can not believe simply how much time
I had spent for this info! Thanks!

pageeasy.com wrote:
04.23.14 at 8:02 PM

Really enjoy this website, really good stuff here, had been a little sceptical around acquiring a steam shower system
for our home having said that the info here sorted my head out, amazing
many thanks

Stephen wrote:
04.23.14 at 8:16 PM

Hi, I do think this is a great blog. I stumbledupon it ;) I will come back yet again
since i have bookmarked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich
and continue to guide others.

04.23.14 at 10:39 PM

I always used to read article in news papers but now as I
am a user of web therefore from now I am using net for articles,
thanks to web.

04.24.14 at 1:51 AM

Thank you for every other informative site. The place else may I get that kind of info written in such an ideal method?
I've a mission that I am just now operating on, and I've been at the glance out for such information.

04.24.14 at 3:20 AM

Hey thhere terrific blog! Does running a blog such
as this take a lot of work? I have absolutely no knowledge
of computer programming however I had been hoping to start
my own blog in tthe near future. Anyways, should you have any ideas or techniques for new blog owners please share.
I know this is offf topic however I simply wanted to ask.

Appreciate it!

04.24.14 at 5:14 AM

I am actually delighted to glance at this blog posts which
consists of lots of helpful data, thanks for providing
such statistics.

04.24.14 at 5:43 AM

Ash wasn't able to be?ome by t?e ?ue date located ?n teacher'ersus laboratory ?onsequently hee doesn't ?et
the Pokemopn associated ?ith their choicce Squirtle ?n? it hass i? order
to satisfy alongside Pikachu. (Colourful Music ?roup-Helpos aare ve?y
?ell-favored amid kids). ?lthough you h?ve got a
wide range ?f fun, however , ?ou'lmost all ?lso discover t?ese game
titles can ?ertainly help ?eep yo?r mind lively.

??????????? wrote:
04.24.14 at 7:41 AM

You could certainly see your enthusiasm within the work you write.

The sector hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to
say how they believe. All the time follow your heart.

Dave wrote:
04.24.14 at 8:03 AM

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It actually used to be a enjoyment account it.
Glance advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how can we keep up a correspondence?

04.24.14 at 9:15 AM

Wow, that's what I was exploring for, what a material!
existing here at this weblog, thanks admin of this web
page.

04.24.14 at 9:43 AM

Children recognize mahjong f?r downloading simpler ?s compared to cou?se books speciallky ?hen dealing
?ith w?ll being. Card mahjong for downloading happen t? be alway? famous amon?st grown
ups. Encounters ?n the web orr ?ven mahjong download mshjong download ?as become to
pay off a lot of twos forr mosaic glass enjoy.

04.24.14 at 12:10 PM

Images have been utilized to express thoughts and emotions since the
dawn of time. Uncertainty seems to be the concept of this week.
And this means they ought to tread with care.
They are leaders and can be dictators at times.