07.07.2008

Red Wine and Charred Meat Cure Leprosy

I'm sorry about that headline. I couldn't help myself. Everyone else is doing it.

When I first started writing about wine several years ago, I thought one of the things I might do was to help my readers keep up with the health news surrounding wine, so I started posting little tidbits every time I saw a news item about the health benefits of wine. After about three weeks it was clear that unless I was planning on writing the Wine and Health Blog, there was just no way I could possibly cover it all. There's a new bit of news practically every week about how red wine cures everything from cancer to genital herpes.

I've speculated before about why the health benefits of wine seems to be such a popular topic with researchers and the only reason I could come up with was that the researchers just need the merest shred of an excuse to spend their grant monies on booze.

But don't take that as demeaning the quality of or the need for such research. I'm just a bit bemused as to how much of it seems to be pouring out of the halls of academia around the world, proclaiming that yes, red wine will cure just about anything.

The latest bit of research purportedly shows that drinking red wine while eating cooked meat is better for you than eating the same meat while sipping a Diet Coke, for instance.

Of course, we've known since ancient times that drinking wine with food was good for you -- in the old days it was the water that got you sick (and occasionally the food too) so consuming massive quantities of wine was not only fun, but good for staving off dysentery and other nasties. Red wine with your tomatoes, anyone?

This most recent research focuses on wine's antioxidant properties, which seem to reduce the toxins that are a byproduct of our guts trying to break down the fats in the meat. Eating steak apparently shortens your life, but drinking red wine while you do it makes everything OK! (in addition to curing Leprosy, of course).

Like all such studies, we must take these results with a grain of salt, but they certainly are encouraging, nonetheless. Not like you needed an excuse to pop the cork on a nice bottle with your steak dinner....

Read the full article.

Thanks to Jack at Fork & Bottle for sending me the link.

Steve wrote:
07.08.08 at 8:39 AM

Like you, Alder, I've given up on trying to follow the wine and health thing in any great detail. I'm happy to just drink the stuff and trust it's good for me.

Hank wrote:
07.08.08 at 11:39 AM

Alder, I've been drinking red wine and eating charred meats for quite a few years now, and I have never contacted leprosy. I think it works!

John wrote:
07.08.08 at 1:15 PM

My nutritionist just told me to eat more red meat....god love her!!

07.08.08 at 2:41 PM

Adler -- I just spent two years in Argentina -- all I did was eat red meat and drink red wine -- it is good to know that I will now be free of leprosy. Do you know of any cures for the spare tire I acquired?

Rajiv A wrote:
07.08.08 at 4:00 PM

Great article, Alder. My point of view is that the emotional effects of drinking good wine and eating good food, with good friends and family far exceed any biological effects (good or bad).

07.08.08 at 10:52 PM

Vince, you'll need that spare tire as reserve fat in your old age, because with all that resveratrol you've consumed, you'll definitely be living to 100+

Remy wrote:
07.10.08 at 7:15 AM

Indeed, let's take that study with a grain of salt. But not too much salt, or that might offset the benefits of the wine...

;-)

More seriously, the accumulation of studies praising the positive health effects of red wine does make it look pretty good, doesn't it? And the constant seems to be that regular, moderate consumption of red wine is good for you, but that negative effects come into play when drinking becomes excessive. Sounds like science confirming common sense, as it often does.

Remy wrote:
07.10.08 at 7:19 AM

;-)

Zeber wrote:
03.16.09 at 8:31 AM

Red wine is indeed good for health!

web wrote:
09.16.14 at 6:24 PM

Most webmasters get articles written about their
products and sites, and then publish them on various article directories and on their web sites.
Something you should be aware of is the you can set up as many as you would like, but you still need to
get traffic to go to the sites. No longer is Internet marketing a luxury; it's now become a necessity.

09.16.14 at 8:21 PM

I am sure this paragraph hass touched all thhe internet users,
its really really nice paragrsph onn building up new weblog.

09.16.14 at 9:08 PM

Carpooling to work and socializing around coffee instead of dinner and drinks.
The way you earn is very similar to the matched-betting process, whereby you
go after the bookie's bonuses, as mentioned on the first page of the website.
Meanwhile, the internet manager at The - BAG was looking for someone who had expertise in smart shopping.

09.17.14 at 6:36 AM

Really when slmeone doesn't know then its up to oher peoplpe that they will assist, so here it happens.

green coffee wrote:
09.17.14 at 7:52 AM

I really like what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and coverage!
Keep up the fantastic works guys I've included you guys
to my own blogroll.

09.17.14 at 10:31 AM

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home
a little bit, but other than that, this is excellent blog.
A great read. I'll definitely be back.

09.17.14 at 10:55 AM

Hey There. I found your weblog the use of msn. That is a very smartly written article.
I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your useful
info. Thank you for the post. I'll certainly return.

Roman wrote:
09.17.14 at 5:16 PM

I absolutely love your blog and find many of your post's to be
what precisely I'm looking for. Would you offer guest writers
to write content for yourself? I wouldn't mind publishing a post
or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write
with regards to here. Again, awesome weblog!

09.17.14 at 6:50 PM

?hiis posst will help the internet users for setting up new blog ?r e?en a blog from ?tart to end.

09.18.14 at 1:27 AM

What this does is clear your "conscious" mind so your
muse will have an easier time sending messages to it. Furthermore, you can also avail SMS web service through which you will have the
means of user-friendly web based interface. You will how it will look and whether the content is perfect.

09.18.14 at 1:30 AM

If you are going for best contents like I do, simply pay a visit this web page
every day since it provides quality contents, thanks

09.18.14 at 2:22 AM

Hi there everyone, it's my first visit at this web site, and post is truly fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting these types of articles or reviews.

09.18.14 at 3:35 AM

Musically, this wounderful woman has touched with
different styles in recent times, and a five-piece
strap (with two backing singers) capably helped her run through her historical past.
Your girlfriend dark-hued voice was a student in fine shape as she worked well her way through the setlist that focused profoundly previous triumphs rather
than her most recent recording, final year's
"Closer into the Real truth. " The girl didn't even talk about the disc from your
stage. In spite of this, must the girl? She's Co?teux, along with shameless
plugging looks beneath her.

Sibyl wrote:
09.18.14 at 6:28 AM

No? don't say you never know what to give him as a birthday
gift, a? we've prove that there are just sso many G?fts and activities for him to experience and enjoy.
Knowing his oor her ?nte?est? will certainly make her or ?is birthday andd any other
?ay spdcial sknce he or she will be ?ble to
use and enjoy tthe ?irth?ay gift that you gave him or her.
If the littyle girl in ?our lif? relishes painted nails, lip gl?ss
and resembl?ng mommy, ?ook her an appointment.

09.18.14 at 10:08 AM

The process of creating a vision board is one of the best ways to program the RAS.
These types of workouts are what allow Matthew Mc - Conaughey to keep
his body lean and sculpted. Social gathering Packs.

09.18.14 at 10:48 AM

No matter if some one searches for his essential thing, so he/she wants to be available that in detail, thuus that thing is maintained
over here.

09.18.14 at 2:06 PM

Tolkien, ?s known for hhis struggles ?s a sale representative struggling ?gainst the inane backdrop
of th? BBC's original version of "The Office". Y?u can ?all reinforcements ?r summo a temporary
power-up ffor ?ll troops. T?is is the purpose of t?e
Council ?f Elrond: to decide w??t is t? bee done with the ?ne Ring and who will ta?? assume it a? ? burden.

09.18.14 at 3:55 PM

Nicely put, Thanks a lot.
xunjie ????????????????????????????
????????????????2012?7?8?-10?"
????????????????????????????????? ????? ????? ? ????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????1???????????????????
?????????????????????? ??? ?? ??????350????????"
??????????
????????????????????????????? ?? ?? ??????????
????????????
?????????????"
?10?????20?25?35?40??????????????????????????????35?????????? - ?????? ?????? ?? ???

Diane wrote:
09.18.14 at 4:02 PM

At this moment I am going to do my breakfast, afterward having my breakfast
coming over again to read further news.

writing wrote:
09.18.14 at 5:13 PM

Great blog you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any message
boards that cover the same topics discussed here?
I'd really like to be a part of online community where
I can get opinions from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest.
If you have any recommendations, please let me know.
Cheers!

09.18.14 at 8:47 PM

Appreciate this post. Will try it out.

09.18.14 at 9:46 PM

Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across
this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much.
I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

09.18.14 at 11:34 PM

And to add variation to it Beckham splits that into a
third ponytail up high flowing into the traditional
half pony tail. They portion of people do not copy their styles from
their elders or younger as they set their own style. Deep
condition often, and use a leave-in conditioner.

09.19.14 at 1:00 AM

I've been browsing on-line greater than three hours lately, yett
I by no means found any attention-grabbing article like yours.
It is beautiful value sufficient for me. Personally, if
all site owners and bloggers made good content as yyou did, the net shall
be mich more helpful than ever before.

09.19.14 at 1:40 AM

Do I want to find a ?irlfriend that I ?an settle down with,
and fall in lo?e (g?sp). The big decision you'll have to make
is what level of c?allenge you want to have. Dulce military base in New Mexi?o is a bl?ck ops go?ernment lab which is 7 stories
deep under the Archuleta Mes?.

09.19.14 at 2:42 AM

Hi there. I'm sorry to bother you but I ran across your website and noticed you are using the exact same theme as
me. The only issue is on my website, I'm battling to get the design and
style looking like yours. Would you mind emailing me at: [email protected]
so I can get this figured out. By the way I have bookmarked your internet site:
http://www.vinography.com/archives/2008/07/red_wine_and_charred_meat_cure.html and will be visiting frequently.
With thanks!

09.19.14 at 3:11 AM

?????????????????? ???? ????? gmail ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???? ????? gmail ????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???? ????? gmail ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Stick War wrote:
09.19.14 at 7:05 AM

magnificent put up, very informative. I'm wondering why the opposite experts of this sector don't notice this.

You should continue your writing. I'm confident, you have a huge readers' base already!

Tatiana wrote:
09.19.14 at 8:50 AM

This is a topic that's close to my heart... Take care!
Exactly where are your contact details though?