07.07.2008

Red Wine and Charred Meat Cure Leprosy

I'm sorry about that headline. I couldn't help myself. Everyone else is doing it.

When I first started writing about wine several years ago, I thought one of the things I might do was to help my readers keep up with the health news surrounding wine, so I started posting little tidbits every time I saw a news item about the health benefits of wine. After about three weeks it was clear that unless I was planning on writing the Wine and Health Blog, there was just no way I could possibly cover it all. There's a new bit of news practically every week about how red wine cures everything from cancer to genital herpes.

I've speculated before about why the health benefits of wine seems to be such a popular topic with researchers and the only reason I could come up with was that the researchers just need the merest shred of an excuse to spend their grant monies on booze.

But don't take that as demeaning the quality of or the need for such research. I'm just a bit bemused as to how much of it seems to be pouring out of the halls of academia around the world, proclaiming that yes, red wine will cure just about anything.

The latest bit of research purportedly shows that drinking red wine while eating cooked meat is better for you than eating the same meat while sipping a Diet Coke, for instance.

Of course, we've known since ancient times that drinking wine with food was good for you -- in the old days it was the water that got you sick (and occasionally the food too) so consuming massive quantities of wine was not only fun, but good for staving off dysentery and other nasties. Red wine with your tomatoes, anyone?

This most recent research focuses on wine's antioxidant properties, which seem to reduce the toxins that are a byproduct of our guts trying to break down the fats in the meat. Eating steak apparently shortens your life, but drinking red wine while you do it makes everything OK! (in addition to curing Leprosy, of course).

Like all such studies, we must take these results with a grain of salt, but they certainly are encouraging, nonetheless. Not like you needed an excuse to pop the cork on a nice bottle with your steak dinner....

Read the full article.

Thanks to Jack at Fork & Bottle for sending me the link.

Steve wrote:
07.08.08 at 8:39 AM

Like you, Alder, I've given up on trying to follow the wine and health thing in any great detail. I'm happy to just drink the stuff and trust it's good for me.

Hank wrote:
07.08.08 at 11:39 AM

Alder, I've been drinking red wine and eating charred meats for quite a few years now, and I have never contacted leprosy. I think it works!

John wrote:
07.08.08 at 1:15 PM

My nutritionist just told me to eat more red meat....god love her!!

07.08.08 at 2:41 PM

Adler -- I just spent two years in Argentina -- all I did was eat red meat and drink red wine -- it is good to know that I will now be free of leprosy. Do you know of any cures for the spare tire I acquired?

Rajiv A wrote:
07.08.08 at 4:00 PM

Great article, Alder. My point of view is that the emotional effects of drinking good wine and eating good food, with good friends and family far exceed any biological effects (good or bad).

07.08.08 at 10:52 PM

Vince, you'll need that spare tire as reserve fat in your old age, because with all that resveratrol you've consumed, you'll definitely be living to 100+

Remy wrote:
07.10.08 at 7:15 AM

Indeed, let's take that study with a grain of salt. But not too much salt, or that might offset the benefits of the wine...

;-)

More seriously, the accumulation of studies praising the positive health effects of red wine does make it look pretty good, doesn't it? And the constant seems to be that regular, moderate consumption of red wine is good for you, but that negative effects come into play when drinking becomes excessive. Sounds like science confirming common sense, as it often does.

Remy wrote:
07.10.08 at 7:19 AM

;-)

Zeber wrote:
03.16.09 at 8:31 AM

Red wine is indeed good for health!

07.29.14 at 9:16 AM

Spot on with this write-up, I truly believe that this amazing site needs much more attention. I'll probably
be back again to read through more, thanks for the info!