07.20.2008

Where Vinography Gets Read Around the World

I don't get a lot of reader requests for me to write specific articles here on Vinography, but a series of e-mail conversations with a reader today led to a request that I publish some information about where my other readers come from.

This particular reader was in Hong Kong and was proud of being part of my international contingent of readers, but wondered where else around the world I get traffic from.

Well, since you asked, I include below the list of the places that readers have come from in the last month, in order of descending traffic.

For those who care about (or who are geeky enough to wonder about such things) these statistics are filtered by Google Analytics for bots and crawlers of all kinds, though they can't completely be be scrubbed clean if the bots are spoofing a specific web browser in their HTTP request header. Translation: this is the best I got, and you're free to doubt or discount this data to whatever degree you feel appropriate.

So without further ado, here's who was visiting in the last 30 days in descending order of number of visits:

United States
Maldives
Kyrgyzstan
Namibia
Guyana
Seychelles
Paraguay

In case you didn't bother to count, that's 135 countries. The last 20 or so in the list only had a couple of visits in the last 30 days, and the top few had several tens of thousands of visits in the same time period.

Anyone know any wine lovers in the Congo or Sudan? Those sort of floor me a little. It's also interesting to see such a separation between Hong Kong and mainland China in terms of the number of visitors.

If you're yawning, well, we now return you to your normal programming.

Anthony wrote:
07.21.08 at 7:11 AM

Alder - as a reader in Cochabamba, Bolivia I was always curious as to where my fellow readers were located - the world keeps getting smaller.Thanks for the info and the breadth and scope of vinography.

derek wrote:
07.21.08 at 8:03 AM

I am surprised at the few chileans visiting. It is clearly the wine export/producing country lowest on the list by far. Makes me think the chilean industry is not aware of blogs? (Whilst sales in US are rising healthily in double digits) wow haps its time we get our head out of the sand?

Alder's mom wrote:
07.21.08 at 10:37 AM

WOW!! Very impressive

Philip James wrote:
07.21.08 at 1:45 PM

Alder

I took a quick look at Google Analytics for Snooth and found that, since we launched, we've just had 1 user from each of the following countries:

Mayotte
Gabon
Vatican
Burundi
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands

However, Google seems to be making some pretty powerful political statements with its definition of "country", and has certainly added a few that the UN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries) has yet to agree on, for example: Taiwan (only officially recognized by a few of the member states, but it does have 'defacto' acceptance, whatever that means).

South Georgia has essentially no inhabitants, so i'm not sure how that qualifies as a country either.

07.21.08 at 5:44 PM

Hi Derek,
I think the cause of too few chilean visit is the language.
Latinamerican prefer spanish writed blogs, in my specific case I'm in Venezuela and try to get info from english and spanish sources as well, but my case cannot take as a general.

Benito wrote:
07.21.08 at 7:02 PM

I did something similar recently with my blog (didn't write about it), and found a handful of countries that hadn't visited: Greenland, North Korea, and most of Africa. Greenland was the only one that surprised me--where's the love?

Ruth Lieu wrote:
07.30.08 at 3:08 PM

Hey, I guess Google still categorizes HK and China separately. It's time for a trip to Chile!

08.20.14 at 3:56 PM

Howdy would you mind letting me know which webhost you're utilizing?
I've loaded your blog in 3 completely different web browsers and I must say
this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you suggest a
good hosting provider at a reasonable price? Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!