10.10.2008

Another Reason to Live in Italy

We all have our fantasies. These days mine lean a bit more towards getting more sleep than chance encounters with Salma Hayek. But one thing I've never given up on, no matter how unlikely, is the daydream of one day living in Italy.

Any wine lover who's been to the small towns in any one of Italy's wine regions knows what I'm talking about. There's just something about Italy that's truly magical if you're someone who loves food and wine.

But I never knew quite how magical it could be, until this week, when the faucets of Marino, Italy started pouring out wine instead of water.

Even today, in some small Italian villages you can go buy wine from the guy down the street who makes it. Show up with your jug and open the tap, and pay for what you take. Which was why some folks in Marino wasted no time grabbing jugs and bottles and filling up when the taps started running with something a little tastier than usual.

What to wine lovers was as close to a miracle as we might ever experience was actually the work of bungling civic engineers, who accidentally routed a pipeline of wine (which was destined, as it is every year at this time, for the city's public fountain in celebration of the harvest) into the domestic water pipeline instead.

I'm sure we'd all prefer our wine not to taste of ancient (probably lead) city pipes, but the concept is hard to beat. Just another reason to daydream.

Read the full story.

Jennifer Frank wrote:
10.11.08 at 9:43 AM

Great story Alder. Somehow in Italy the wine is as nourishing and refreshing as water. I've hiked through the towns of Cinque Terre and the Lake Region in Italy after a wine-filled lunch and never felt better. How is it that if you have a wine-filled lunch at home in, say, New York or San Francisco, you are just ready for a nap? Last year I rented a villa in Tuscany with some friends and, although the taps did not run with wine (damn!), all we had to do was walk up the hill to the friendly neighborhood vineyard to get our stash of delicious Chianti for the night. Ahhh, Italy!

10.12.08 at 4:44 AM

Hi Alder, I have a friend - Terence Hughes - that is going to live most part of his life in Italy than in NY because of his wine passion. I agree with you, I think we have something magical in Italy, but I the meantime I think that it could give a nasty surprise if you give some importance to all those conveniences of a modern city of the united states. Well, it mostly depends WHERE you'd like to live in Italy.
If you ever will plan to come in Italy, please tell me, I'd like to meet you.

I do live so close to Cinque Terre, if you plan to come in Italy, sooner or later.

Dylan wrote:
10.12.08 at 1:40 PM

Thanks for sharing. I told this story to my father and he immediately lit up with a roar, "I think that's wonderful!" This, of course, was punctuated by his hearty laugh I've known my whole life. I told the same story to my mother, my brother, and my uncle as well. All of them shared an equal enthusiasm (however, few can capture my father's distinct laugh)

It's such a simple happening, but the action is so pure in spirit; a harvest festival tradition gone awry. While my family is stuck here to live a life where we say, "Only in New York," today our minds were able to drift to another land where we can say with a knowing nod, "Only in Italy."

Poggione wrote:
10.16.08 at 7:31 AM

It's interesting from an Italian's point of view to see how our country is seen.. And it's still a dream that often come through, for many people living abroad, to come and live here. You know, we have good and bad things, but we do enjoy life and every single moment of it. All this framed with good food, great wines, fabulous landscapes and great people to share all these with. And for someone like me who tends to travel a lot on business, every time I come back home, I enjoy it even more!!

Madeira wrote:
10.25.08 at 11:21 AM

Live in Italy for the wine and pay the "pizzo"?

10.25.08 at 11:39 AM

Madeira, this is a wrong "common place".
Bye, Filippo

Madeira wrote:
10.25.08 at 12:01 PM

What do you mean Filippo? Expand please...

James Taylor wrote:
11.07.08 at 1:42 PM

This was an interesting story - and very Italian. There are many great reasons to live in Italy, and you're right, most revolve around eating and drinking (and in my case, watching football). Since swapping Florence for New York I've had to get used to living without La Gazzetta dello Sport and sipping coffee from a paper cup. And by the way, I know exactly what you mean about Salma Hayek.

04.23.09 at 3:39 AM

Excellent article. Earning a living in Italy is quite difficult. But...going there with an income of some sort is quite do-able. If this is your dream I say go for it.

Carrie wrote:
08.02.09 at 3:39 PM

This is definately a story that puts a great big smile on my face!

m88bc wrote:
07.22.14 at 6:11 AM

You made some good points there. I looked on the internet to learn more bout
the issue and found mosst people will go akong with your views on this website.