11.03.2008

Wine and the Flavor of Curiousity

I never tire of looking out an airplane window at the shifting landscape below, mottled with the patchy light of cloud and shadow. The view is always new, fluid and streaming like the same river that we are told we never cross twice.

Wine holds the same fascination for the same reasons, as if that proverbial river was bottled but still moving -- shifting and changing in defiance of its containment. Whenever I have the good fortune to drink older wines, I am reminded that they indeed move and shift in their own time, as if, like dogs and hummingbirds and tortoises, they live at speeds separate and inhuman.

To observe wine, though, is not to gaze upon it from above, studying its topography from afar. Rather, we swim in wine as it swims in us, feeling the currents tug us, feeling the cool liquid in our skins with the aromas that speak memories.

Scent mystifies me. The link between aroma and memory is no more surprising, I guess, than the way that aroma takes the five tastes of the tongue and transforms them into what we know is the difference between orange and mango. Yet when the merest whiff of my glass throws me fifteen years into the past I sometimes reel with astonishment. Nostalgia will certainly always be olfactory to me, even though I haven't read the Proust to prove it.

Writing about wine seems best when it is the most difficult -- when I am gasping at straws to describe something that falls in between a flavor and a feeling. Drinking great wine is the closest I ever get to synesthesia, a feeling that I might describe as experiencing memories that I have yet to acquire -- as if they hang suspended in the space between the wine's swirling surface and the lip of the glass, ready to be plucked.

Each glass holds for me an ephemeral potential for a future memory just as much as it does a concrete and utterly tangible reflection of the past season that created the vintage. These future memories are the tastes and smells of things that I have yet to taste or may never taste. The exotic fruits that ripen uncounted and undiscovered in the rainforest; the spices of a desert people I will never encounter; the perfect combination of sea breeze and tropical flower found only on a certain atoll.

The greatest wines dangle such propositions in front of me, exhilarating even as they are frustratingly hard to pin down. I've spent the last three hours of this plane flight across the country wondering off and on just what that flavor was that I was tasting the other night at a friend's house -- that moment that froze me in a small bubble while the conversation continued around me. It was familiar, while at the same time being exotic and unlike any flavor I had tasted before.

Moments like that, even the memories of them, are more than enough to eclipse moments like the really nice bottle of Chardonnay I brought to dinner with friends on Saturday, only to find it amber-colored and oxidized. They are enough to keep me watching the lightning storm on the horizon from my plane window, thinking about what curiosity tastes like.

Dylan wrote:
11.05.08 at 3:38 PM

Was this written on an airplane? Your passion for wine always comes through well in your writing. Did you ever pin down the flavor?

Erika wrote:
11.06.08 at 5:18 AM

Alder, are you going to tell us what the wine was?

11.06.08 at 10:09 AM

I reviewed the wine in my very next post :-)

Ron wrote:
11.09.08 at 7:46 PM

If I'm drinking wine with my wife or most friends, I don't feel a need to describe the wine. But there are many occasions and wines when I would love to have a permanent written record or memory of exactly how the wine smelled and tasted. So, some brief notes make do.

Rob wrote:
11.10.08 at 2:05 PM

What a great description. I think perhaps this is the feeling everyone has when they are doing what they love.

Madeira wrote:
11.10.08 at 3:01 PM

I agree that this facination exists with wine and one that perhaps is not suprising. For example it all begins with the fasination of a new subject that is not fully understood - lets take fragrances for example. You buy your first fragrance and you learn about the ingredients, the notes the staying power. Since the are so many fragrance with so many different style you form a curosity for any thing you have not tried.

For perhaps the same reason I recently equated fragrances being very similar to wine. The language in which you speak of the notes, the ingredients are so similar. The curosity for wine is also based on the same appeal of having so mych variety, flavours textures and visual aids such as shape of bottle, labeling and marketing.

Overall one of the biggest factors that forms curiosity for wine and drink is actually its history, the house, the brand and the fasinating stories behind how some of the people started in order to make this magic all happen.

small_covershot_dropshadow.jpg A wine book like no other. Photographs, essays, and wine recommendations. Learn more.