02.13.2009

Vinography Images: The Perfect Cluster

vinography_desktop_perfect_cluster.jpg

The Perfect Cluster
Is there such thing as the perfect cluster of grapes? As wine lovers we don't spend much time contemplating grapes on this scale. Almost no one does in the wine industry, save, for a brief moment, a field worker with knife in hand. The perfect cluster exists only for that brief moment of examination before the snick of the blade, and then the bunch becomes the fabled drop in the ocean. But this is an ocean we get to sip! -- Alder Yarrow

INSTRUCTIONS:
Download this image by right-clicking on the image and selecting "save link as" or "save target as" and then select the desired location on your computer to save the image. Mac users can also just click the image to open the full size view and drag that to their desktops.

To set the image as your desktop wallpaper, Mac users should follow these instructions, while PC users should follow these.

PRINTS:
If you are interested in owning an archive quality, limited edition print of this image please contact photographer Andy Katz through his web site.

ABOUT VINOGRAPHY IMAGES:
Vinography regularly features images by photographer Andy Katz for readers' personal use as desktop backgrounds or screen savers. We hope you enjoy them. Please respect the copyright on these images.

Tannat wrote:
02.13.09 at 11:36 PM

The PERFECT cluster? I dunno, I think the larger bluer one on the left should be the PERFECT cluster, not that little one on the right...

Arthur wrote:
02.14.09 at 8:46 AM

"Perfect" is relative (no I have not come over to the Heideggerian dark side, Alder) - it might depend on the variety photographed.
Any ampelographers in the audience?

Shots like this make me want to drop a grand for a serious camera.

02.14.09 at 10:28 AM

I'm gonna say Cab or Zin. Seems a bit small for a Zin cluster, but the leaves don't lie!

Matt wrote:
02.15.09 at 1:57 PM

That secondary cluster on the right should be dropped, it's leeching nutrients from the "perfect" cluster. And let's not forget the sad little green berries hidden away in the bigger cluster :) I've seen prettier cab clusters come across the sorting table, but I do love Andy's photos. The shot from the cooperage is still on my desktop

02.15.09 at 9:16 PM

Matt,

Thanks for the expert's eye. Looks like I would fail as a viticulturalist !!

02.16.09 at 11:38 AM

Amazing photo, if you click through, you can see the threads of spider web and the moisture particles on the skins of the grapes. Inspiring and dreamy. Almost like "the lord of the rings"! (don't know why I thought of that!) And the little cluster to the right - "little me" too cute. I have to say - it's not necessary for a grape cluster to be a "perfect" cluster in order to evoke awe. Grape clusters in different stages of their evolution, taken by a gifted photographer (with good camera :) make me stare, stare, stare, stare... -- Alder, how about doing a series on "the states of grape" where people can submit their best grape shots at different stages? I got one from Corbieres, semi-frozen grapes left to die on the vine in the midst of Dec in the South of France. You can't help but feel sorry for them...

hb wrote:
02.16.09 at 12:46 PM

I thought I bought the perfect bunch of grapes at Fairway on Friday night - but we ate them -

James wrote:
02.19.09 at 1:32 PM

Nice pic, and camera too!