07.06.2011

Sit On Your Ass and Drink Red Wine

I can hardly think of a better piece of news than this: if all you like to do is sit around on your butt all day long, drinking red wine may keep you healthier, despite a complete lack of exercise.

While there's no word whether the resveratrol contained in red wine can counteract the effects of pork rinds, mind-numbing reruns, and high-fructose corn syrup, it's good to know that this magical compound found in red wine can help with conditions such as laziness, sloth, and too-fat-to-do-much-else.

And how did scientists discover this? In space, of course! Or rather, in a crude simulation of space.

It turns out that floating around weightless for a week is sort of like never getting off the couch for a couple of months. Of course, sending a bunch of rats into orbit isn't exactly a cheap proposition, so scientists did the next best thing: they hung a bunch of rats by the tail for a few weeks. It turns out that the ones drinking red wine were not only less pissed off at being dangled by their hineys and forced to watch ESPN all day, they ended up healthier than those rats that didn't get their resveratrol. They suffered less bone density loss, less muscle density loss, and less insulin resistance.

OK, so they didn't actually give them red wine, they just gave them some resveratrol pills, but its practically the same thing, right? Never mind that the doses of resveratrol they got were the equivalent of several hundred glasses of wine a day. When you're sitting on your ass all day, you've got time to drink a lot of red wine, right?

While doubtless good news for couch-potatoes everywhere, I think the real news here is for desk jockeys like me, who sit in front of a computer all day. Not that I really needed any excuse for having a glass of wine next to my keyboard....

Read the full story.

Tom wrote:
07.07.11 at 5:57 AM

The study reports that the rats consumed 400 mg resveratrol per kg of body weight per day. For the average rat, that's 180 mg resveratrol per day -- equivalent to 120 glasses of red wine. So 20 bottles of catering-sized pours...I think I'd be fast asleep well before that!

07.07.11 at 1:19 PM

I need an excuse?

lori wrote:
07.08.11 at 9:14 AM

If Tom is correct, my advice is to start drinking as soon as you sit down at your desk in the morning. It would probably make work a lot more fun!

Alexander wrote:
07.08.11 at 10:34 AM

Wow... that is a fun study. I wouldn't mind having a glass, instead of tasting and subsequently teasing my palate all day. Good on you Alder.

@Tom:I am right there with you. Too much. Just drink good wine in moderation and worry less about the help benefits.

Tom wrote:
07.08.11 at 1:12 PM

@Alexander, very true, and I do! The thing is that there haven't been any studies showing the lowest dose at which resveratrol has positive effects. The 400 mg/kg in this study is the lowest I've seen. (The highest has been 700 mg/kg). So there may be health benefits to a couple of glasses per day -- especially since there are hundreds, if not thousands, of potentially beneficial chemicals in wine and no one has looked at the various combinations, either.

Marie Payton wrote:
08.17.11 at 7:33 PM

Based on this study (and rats>humans) you'd need to drink about 80 bottles of wine a day to get that resveratrol benefit!

09.20.11 at 11:23 AM

Of course the benefit may only occur if you are being hung by your tail with the blood rushing to your head. Not how I usually site on the sofa drinking wine!

Bay Area Bordeaux: Tasting Santa Cruz Mountain Cabernets US 2014 Vintage - Early, Fast, Eventful Vinography Images: Big Shadow Come Explore The Essence of Wine with Me in Healdsburg: October 30th, 2014 Vinography Unboxed: Week of October 5, 2014 Another Idiotic California Law Screws Wineries Vinography Images: Vineyard Reflections The Fake Tongue Illusion and Wine Tasting 2014 Wine & Spirits Top 100 Tasting: October 21, San Francisco Cool Beauty: Tasting the Wines of the Western Sonoma Coast