01.14.2013

Vinography Turns Nine

birthday_cake_sm.jpgMy how the time flies. I looked up from my desk today and realized with a shock that today is the day, nine years ago, that I decided to try my hand at writing about wine. Which means I've been writing about wine somewhere between four days a week and seven days a week for nine years, with only a couple of short breaks for my honeymoon, the birth of my daughter, and a long fishing trip in Alaska.

Last year I spent a lot of time thinking about what had transpired over the (then eight) years I've been blogging about wine. You can read that here. This year I haven't had time to consider any additional deep thoughts on the occasion of my blogging anniversary.

But I do have time to do the most important thing for me to do on this most minor of occasions, and that is to thank you, my readers for continuing to give me two of your most precious commodities -- your time and attention.

Frankly there are probably better things to do with my time, but I enjoy it so much, and a large part of that enjoyment is knowing that other folks find it useful, entertaining, or simply just a reasonable way to pass the time.

Whatever the reason that you keep coming back here to read, thank you so much, and I hope that I continue to sustain your interest, even as wine continues to sustain your passion.

Here's to another year. Bottoms up!

Steve Raye wrote:
01.14.13 at 10:36 PM

Mazel Tov!

Somesh Rao wrote:
01.15.13 at 6:55 AM

Congratulations.
It has been great reading your blog.

Jo Diaz wrote:
01.15.13 at 10:37 AM

"Let them eat cake!" -- Marie Antoinette (because I can't say it any better, but have better intentions as I write it to you.)

Congratulations, Alder. I wrote my blog about you over the weekend, and it's live tomorrow, coincidentally. I'll have to go edit it to include a piece of cake!

01.16.13 at 1:57 PM

Terrific. Happy writing birthday. I've only been a reader for a year or perhaps a little more. I always look forward to your posts and have even been going back and reading you past articles with fervent hunger. Your posts hit the spot, and I've learned much. Thanks for the times. Hope to see many more.

tom wrote:
01.17.13 at 9:37 AM

Congratulations Alder! You set the mold for the "Alder Egos" that followed. Keep up the good work.

Kathy Merchant wrote:
01.20.13 at 7:06 PM

Alder, congratulations!! I hope that your 10th will include a physical party as well as virtual celebration. When people ask me "whose writing should I follow," Vinography is always a sure and satisfying response. So jealous you will be in New Zealand. It sounds like you will miss the two biggie festivals in Hawkes Bay and Marlborough, but I suspect your personalized visits will be unparalleled. Can't wait to hear what you think of the NZ industry as it heads squarely into its fourth decade of concerted modern winetrade commerce.

Karen wrote:
01.21.13 at 6:43 AM

Happy Writing Birthday! Reading your Blog and seeing George's photos is always a pleasure...and a very efficient way to learn a bit about wine each day.

small_covershot_dropshadow.jpg A wine book like no other. Photographs, essays, and wine recommendations. Learn more.