11.25.2006

Wine Podcasts For Your iPod

In case you hadn't noticed, the world is in love with portable music, and increasingly with portable news, commentary, and video. In the last few months, the ranks of wine podcasters have swelled from an early, select few, like Winecast and Grape Radio, to dozens and dozens of wine related podcasts that cover a wide range of topics: food and wine pairing, tasting, industry news, travel in wine country, specific wine regions, wine education, bargain wines, wine for women, or the wine scene in the UK or Vegas. The list goes on and on.

Personally, I don't have time to listen to podcasts, but then again, my commute doesn't involve sitting on a bus or other public transportation any more. Some of these podcasts and video podcasts are amazingly popular though, with download numbers above fifty or sixty thousand for each episode. I always wonder just how many of those downloaded episodes actually get listened to, but it's undeniable that this medium is a popular way for wine lovers to get information and entertainment.

Because I ain't got the time, I can't provide much context or recommendation on the list below (which will be maintained on my sidebar from now on) but the links below will load the iTunes music store where you can preview these podcasts as well as read reviews from other listeners.

So have fun, but make sure not to spill any wine on your iPod, I hear they don't play well together.

WINE PODCASTS OF THE (ENGLISH SPEAKING) WORLD:

Tim wrote:
11.25.06 at 5:08 PM

Thanks for the post and link, Alder. You are right, there are a whole bunch of wine podcasts since I got the ball rolling almost 2 years ago. It's great to watch this space develop.

One point that a lot of folks think is required is the iPod or other personal mp3 player and commute time. Most of my shows are listened to right on my website with the flash player or inside blog aggregators. Since most of us sit in front of computers a good portion of time throughout the day, you can always sample them right in the browser.

Cheers!

Ryan wrote:
11.26.06 at 5:48 AM

Hey you forgot me! and I also listen to many of the above ones, though I find that when cooking or cleaning, or working outside in the garden, those are the best times to listen. It´s not just for the commute!

Dr. Debs wrote:
11.26.06 at 9:57 AM

Thanks for the list--I listen to about 5 of these regularly, and now have a few more to check out. And to echo other posts, these are great to listen to while making dinner or cleaning up after dinner. I stick my iPod into a little speaker contraption on the cookbook shelf and I'm good to go. Lots better than listening the the news for the 3,784 time that day.

Bill Wilson wrote:
11.26.06 at 2:04 PM

Hey, Alder, thanks for including the Wine for Newbies podcast. I can tell everyone that the WLW WineGeek podcast is no longer around--I dropped that in favor of the Wine for Newbies cast.

11.26.06 at 2:51 PM

Ryan,

Sorry about that. Wasn't aware you had one and it didn't show up in any searches in the iTunes store. You should look into that.

You're now on the list !

Nancy wrote:
11.26.06 at 4:22 PM

Hi, Alder! Thanks for the link to Napa Valley Wine Radio! We just celebrated our first anniversary in October and we're still going strong every two weeks.

11.26.06 at 6:00 PM

Alder, appreciate the Women & Wine mention in your posting about pod-casting. I heard an interesting observation recently that said that when surveyed people said that they enjoyed listening to shows about cooking vs watching them on tv as they could 'smell the smells' and visually conjure up the onions in the saute pan - and paid greater attention to the recipes, etc. I wonder if listening to pod-casts will do the same thing for wine lovers?

Julie

Jean-Marc wrote:
11.26.06 at 9:46 PM

Dear Alder,
Thank you for another very interesting post.
FYI, www.french-wine-a-day.com is also offering podcasts in English and in French or the weekly edition.
Here is an example :
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Bob Thomas wrote:
11.27.06 at 11:03 AM

While it would be nice to have the time to sample them all, are there a handful that are good to start with? How do the newspaper podcasts differ from the articles that accompany them?

Thanks,

Bob

W. Blake Gray wrote:
11.28.06 at 7:53 PM

Gee, Bob, I guess you'll just have to listen to decide if they do ... Personally I try to make the Chronicle podcast something extra every week, because who wants to waste 3 1/2 minutes on something you've already read?

Miguel wrote:
12.02.06 at 9:18 AM

Bob,

My personal favorite is Grape Radio. Their podcasts are very informative and they often have interesting guests.

David wrote:
12.14.06 at 10:13 PM

We need to get the iPod out of the podcast... how about netcast or webcast... there we go, now we don't need and iPod to listen to a podcast anymore!

;-)