05.29.2007

WBW#34 Has Been Announced: Washington State Cabernet

wbw_icon.jpgTime marches on inexorably, and before I know it, the opportunity to drink wine with bloggers around the world slips by. I completely missed Wine Blogging Wednesday last month. The 33rd incarnation of the Web's original virtual wine tasting event was focused on value priced wines from the Languedoc, and looks to have been well "attended" by all, and a nice learning experience about a significantly underrated wine region.

This month's event, which will take place on June 13th, is also focused on a somewhat underrated wine region, albeit closer to home: Washington State. Hosted appropriately by Catie, who is the Wild Wine Woman at Through The Walla Walla Grape Vine, WBW#34 will have us all drinking Cabernet from Washington, a prospect to which I look forward with relish.

I've been corresponding with one of my readers recently about Merlot and whether Napa was a good site for Merlot. I happen to think it is, and might arguably be the best producer of single varietal Merlot in the world. The only place that I can think of that actually gives it a run for its money is Washington state, and I can easily foresee a time when Washington might actually assume pre-eminence for this varietal. Of course, in addition to Merlot, Washington is home to some absolutely stellar Cabernet which I have enjoyed immensely over the years. For my participation in the event I think I'll be seeking out a good producer from the Red Mountain area, which is producing some stellar Bordeaux-style wines.

So join us wine bloggers on June 13th by drinking Washington Cabernet and writing about it somewhere online.

Orion Slayer wrote:
05.30.07 at 9:06 AM

I'm looking forward to reading the many blogs that report on the virtual tasting. Cabernet sauvignon is a favorite of mine and it will be interesting to learn about Washington state wines.

You mentioned your discussion about Napa Merlots. Could you share what Merlots you feel are great? I enjoy Merlot and would like to find a really good one. Could you break it into the $20 - $30 level and the $15 - $20 level?

Thanks for a great wine blog!

Telly Gregoriou wrote:
05.30.07 at 9:24 AM

While you're seeking out a good producer from Red Mountain, consider becoming a Red Mountain producer yourself! Check out this:
www.sheldongood.com/redmountain.php

05.30.07 at 4:38 PM

Hey there, all... I am new to this blog, but excited to read it. Sounds like some great wine lovers here.

Of course, I have to weigh in on the WA Cab tasting (wish I could be there) and Merlots. As a wine geek who loves to drink Old World "juice" with food, I can't think of a region that, when it gets it right, combines the luscious styles of places like Napa and Barossa with the acid/tannins of Bordeaux with so much complexity. I am so glad Alder thinks it underrated...

In regards to Merlot, I gotta say that WA kills CA in great Merlots. One thing that Merlot, as a grape, totally lacks naturally is acid...it needs some diurnal shift or cool climates to attain it to give a little structure to an otherwise (mostly) benign grape. Now, there are certain producers that have coaxed great tannin structure out of CA Merlot without making something more akin to Cabernet Sauvignon(Kongsgaard, Pride), but it often comes with the hefty alcohol trade off that seems to obliterate the elegance of Merlot. So, I look to WA as the benchmark for truly world class Merlot from the New World, up there with France and Italy.

What other cool tastings are going on? Anyone out there into the Grower Champagnes or Aged German Rieslings?

05.30.07 at 11:02 PM

Shayn,

Perhaps you missed the part about "virtual" but this upcoming wine tasting isn't anywhere. Or perhaps better put, it's everywhere. It’s a tasting that anyone can participate in. In order to participate you simply review a wine, post about it online somewhere on the event date (although those without blogs can often submit their reviews to the host and the host will post them) and then e-mail the person hosting to let them know you're participating.

There's a new tasting every month. Just keep an eye out here for the announcements.

Cru Master wrote:
05.31.07 at 3:33 AM

bt hard for us to participate in this topic - hardly get one American wine over here in South Africa!!

How does one go about hosting WBW - wouldnt mind doing a South African themed one.

05.31.07 at 8:30 AM

If you are interested in hosting, you simply contact the founder: www.lenndevours.com.

Shayn Bjornholm, MS wrote:
05.31.07 at 10:21 AM

Indeed, I did miss the point. This virtual world confounds me! Gotcha. Well, I will be tasting much WA Cab Sauv soon - and will post comments via a host.

Of course, I have no idea how to do that, either. Oh well, I will run and fall until my virtual feet stop tripping over each other!

Ann wrote:
06.16.07 at 1:31 PM

Can I just put in a vote? If you don't know where to start with WA cab, I really like the Woodward Canyon Artist Series cabs. MMM! (I'm a huge fan of Walla Walla wines...)